• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Manchurian Candidate

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
... As of today, our collection consists of 2,386 DVDs, 347 music CDs, 1,509 books or volumes of manga in various languages, 508 VHS tapes, a bunch of laser discs

Wow. I think I have a major nosebleed!! >w<

BTW How do you play a laser disc?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:36 pm Reply with quote
By using a laserdisc player.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I agree with your review of night raid, I loved subtitling it, and I love the bluray of it, except for one thing, AOI's ENGLISH VOICE. It sounds like shinji from eva (which I liked) grew up four or five years, and tried to act cool. IT IS HORRIBLE for what that charcter is supposed to sound like. that is my only real problem with that entire dub. and to be fair episodes 1-3 have plenty of action scenes, 4,6-7 and some other episodes not as much. I still say sentai should have gotten the all japanese dub rather then the international one that aired on TV, also it would have been really cool if they had gotten the audio dramas but they probably got the show very cheaply so.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Ah Sgt. Frog... I wish I could like the show more than I do, but I just can't forgive it. Unless it's Hugh Laurie in BlackAdder (or to a slightly different extent in Jeeves and Wooster), I can't stomach comedies who have at their core a selfish, self-centered and often incompetent leader/superior who's bumbling, horrible decisions are the main driving force for show's comedy.

And I don't care about gundam models.

That's not to say the show isn't funny or without its moments (I think the other frogs & characters are hilarious), but Keroro behaving badly (without punishment or consequence) as a plot device and comedy generator wears very thin for me, very quickly.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:59 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
The title song [of Utakata] is amazing though, I'd sit through the OP every episode just for the music.
Utakata got me to buy both Savage Genius albums from cdjapan (seems there's a 3rd one now, but it's just a greatest-hits. maybe someday...)

If you like Omoi wo Kanadete, I recommend the whole Kaze no Kesshou album.
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Utakata started off ok, but when it really started to annoy me when they pretty much painted all males as manipulative not-so-nice-people.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:17 am Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
...I can't stomach comedies who have at their core a selfish, self-centered and often incompetent leader/superior who's bumbling, horrible decisions are the main driving force for show's comedy.

You can't watch "The Office," then, I suppose?

CareyGrant wrote:
That's not to say the show isn't funny or without its moments (I think the other frogs & characters are hilarious), but Keroro behaving badly (without punishment or consequence) as a plot device and comedy generator wears very thin for me, very quickly.

One episode in this set has Keroro reaping what his selfishness has sown (sewn?) when the frogs have to repair Dororo's bad memories of all the times Keroro wronged him during childhood.
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:25 am Reply with quote
*looks at the photos of that library*

*weeps a single tear*

It's so...so....BEAUTIFUL. So many DVDs, and so nicely organized. I'm torn between admiriation, jealously, and a serious case of DO WANT.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:15 am Reply with quote
I'm going to enter this anime club in my address book. In the event I precede my wife toward the celestial path to enlightment she will at least have an idea where to direct the UPS truck re gifting a bedroom closet full of anime stuff to an organized entity where parts of it might be appreciated. Somehow brown (UPS) has more appeal than maroon (landfill truck).

As for comparing Sgt Frog to the TV series The Office re leadership capability or lack thereof, Erin, I prefer to think the farcical political theatre operating within the I-695 Beltway is the legendary source material for this anime you are so fond of. I just wish it was a joke instead of a nightmarish reality show being played out before us at great expense.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:26 am Reply with quote
Holy smacks, so...many...DVDs! 0.0

I'm going to watch Uta Kata no matter what anyone says. I've been wanting to see it badly.

Haha, nice title for this column btw. XP

Last edited by belvadeer on Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
mufurc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:43 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to see a positive review of Night Raid. It has its flaws, but I enjoyed it a great deal. And while I've seen people writing it off as a piece of nationalist Japanese propaganda, those people probably haven't seen past episode one (and grabbed onto a single line that gets very ironic echoes later on), because it's anything but. The writers knew they were dealing with a controversial issue and tried to handle it the best they could, for a 13-episode TV anime.* (To be fair, the epilogue, which has nothing to do with China or Manchuria, ends on a dubious note, but I don't know enough about the events in question and how they're regarded nowadays to be qualified to judge - still, the episode itself is excellent.) The supernatural aspect may not have been strictly necessary, but the powers and whatnot are handled pretty well and they're well integrated into the plot.

*Actually, 15 episodes - I wonder, are the three OVA episodes included on the Blu-ray (or the DVD) release? I see that ANN only lists two of them (Crank Up Aboard the Ship and Panther in the Snow), the third one, which I think is the best, is missing (Devil of the Opium Den).

dormcat wrote:
As for the anime, I still can't forget the awful accent. Rolling Eyes

The accents were pretty bad, but at least they tried - they even had language coaches, but even seiyuu can't magically become fluent in a language they don't speak in a few days. And at least most other characters were voiced by either native speakers or non-Japanese speakers (the British guy sounded suspiciously American, but at that point disbelief was dead from hanging, anyway).

Last edited by mufurc on Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:22 am; edited 5 times in total
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:46 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
CareyGrant wrote:
...I can't stomach comedies who have at their core a selfish, self-centered and often incompetent leader/superior who's bumbling, horrible decisions are the main driving force for show's comedy.

You can't watch "The Office," then, I suppose?

Funny thing... I actually like all the actors in the Office, but I've never actually seen an episode of it. In fact, besides the premise of the show taking place in an office (and that the show originated in England by Ricky Gervais) I know nothing about it. Well, I did.

erinfinnegan wrote:
CareyGrant wrote:

One episode in this set has Keroro reaping what his selfishness has sown (sewn?) when the frogs have to repair Dororo's bad memories of all the times Keroro wronged him during childhood.

See! It's all Keroro's fault! ;3 Really, if Keroro were toned down I'd probably like the show much more, but he's so front and center in everything.
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Next week, I'll probably revisit Twelve Kingdoms for the BD release. Please look forward to it!

One of the Top 3 of all fantasy anime series (the other two being Guardian of the Spirit and Beast Player Erin). But I wonder if the animations have aged well ...
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:40 am Reply with quote
Oh! Utakata! I remember being confused at the panty shots too and laughing my head off at some of the costumes (some were really nice though...). I quite liked the character designs, except for maybe the long black haired lady (I remember her seeming kinda off, but maybe that was the way they animated her).

Wasn't the change in tone at episode 7 something to do with the yin and yang design of the trinket?

Does this set come with the OVA too? If so, I might consider buying it...
neocloud9

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:13 am Reply with quote
ss-hikaru wrote:
Does this set come with the OVA too? If so, I might consider buying it...

Yup, the OVA is included.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4