• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Lunar Legend Tsukihime: Revisiting the Anime that 'Doesn't Exist'

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:11 pm Reply with quote
The one thing I will give the anime is this: I liked how more adult Arcueid looked, giving her a charm that most characters of the age did not give off.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Similarly, although Melty Blood—a Tsukihime fighting game by French-Bread—was out in Japan, it's impossible to point to a precise moment where it started getting traction in English-speaking pockets of the fighting game community,

August 2002 is when the early demo for Melty Blood was mentioned at the MadMan's Cafe (a mostly fighting game fan news site). This is how a fair amount of people discovered it, myself included.

The full version was out in December 2002 and gained a lot of attention practically immediately. This was because it was "free": whenever someone mentioned it, there was usually a download link in the same sentence. Because it was so easy to download with no obvious way to buy it officially, most people thought it was freeware (and by extension that the term "doujin" was just Japanese for "freeware").

This is also where the "poverty game" term comes from. Because it's a game you played if you had no money.

The English speaking Type Moon community grew very quickly in 2003, with lots of little translation efforts, and of course a full translation of the actual game started (either that year or 2004). It was during this time that the anime came out.

It's mentioned to some extent in this article, but it is a very important thing to emphasize: That English language community couldn't actually read the visual novel proper when the anime came out. That whole quickly growing community was based on expecting something that couldn't be read yet was good. So when discussing LLT's reputation, it has been sort of lost over the years that this wasn't simply a problem of it being a poor adaptation, it raised the possibility: "What if the adaptation isn't that far off the mark and the thing I'm hyping myself to be translated actually sucks?"

There were, of course, general reasons to believe it was just a poor adaptation despite that (it is obviously too short), but I remember in my case in particular, I sort of backed off hard from the Type Moon community so I wouldn't be overhyping myself for who knows how long. December 2006 is when the full translation came out, and to my relief it was as weird and stupid and interesting and good as I'd hoped for.

But, basically, I feel like the anime raising the possibility that "Tsukihime, the thing you're hyping yourself for, may not actually be good" may have hyper accelerated the distaste for the anime among fans.
Todd_Harry08

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Lunar Legend Tsukihime is an experience no one will get it except fewer
nyaa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Gotta say I disagree with your so-called diatribe against LLT. I have the Sentai set and while the storyline isn't the most scintillating nor the characters the most charismatic I've ever seen the execution of the plot and the characters gets the job done. Overall I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10 possible points.

Last edited by nyaa on Sat Jun 29, 2024 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I think the voice cast was another solid thing because you had Kenichi Suzumura/Steve Staley as Shiki, Hitomi Nabatame/Michelle Ruff as Arcueid, and so on...they just deserved a better adaption.

Though maybe someday the remake cast will be solidified with their own anime.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:58 pm Reply with quote
nyaa wrote:
Gotta say I disagree with your so-called diatribe against LLM. I have the Sentai set and while the storyline isn't the most scintillating nor the characters the most charismatic I've ever seen the execution of the plot and the characters gets the job done. Overall I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10 possible points.

There definitely were people who liked the anime for what it was back in the day, something that feels like it's been erased between the now much larger Type Moon fandom disliking it and the loss of most places people talked about this stuff at the time. (I can't really blame anyone for that part: even forums that survived this long typically had disasters that erased messages pre-2008-ish)

That said, ANN itself is actually a good place to see the more mixed reactions to it: see the comments section to the first DVD. You've got people saying it gets better, others who are still down on it, and, yes, people saying the original is a million times better and the best visual novel ever made even though it had not been fully translated yet. Bonus: Confusion over what the hell a visual novel even is!
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:04 am Reply with quote
I still have ⅔ of my Tsukihime DVD set. I just never replaced the last one.
ohohohohoho

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:56 am Reply with quote
While holding my copy of the 12 episode DVD in my hands (1st or 2nd anime ever purchased, either that or .hack//sign, feast to famine there you might say), I'll say at the time it came out I hadn't watched much anime and thought it was good, mainly from the downbeat vibes, did get the sense there was a lot you weren't seeing or understanding fully though and yeah did seem to have random threads that went nowhere.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:49 am Reply with quote
I didn't see it until other anime adaptations got me into Type Moon's stuff. With no knowledge of the original game, I enjoyed the anime for what it was quite a bit, primarily for its atmosphere, which is due in large part to that fantastic OST.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:53 am Reply with quote
I recall watching this back in my third year of college when it was only fan translated. I loved it at the time. I had zero knowledge of Type-Moon or anything related to their series but I felt enthralled by the story and characters.

When the English language came out I got the first dvd, either bought or Netflix'ed can't remember. Rewatching it I couldn't experience that same feeling from when I first watched the series. Not to the fault of the voice actors, it just felt my past memory of the show had been more exaggerated. Perhaps this was an instance of rosetinted glasses at play.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:52 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
...(though I've generally seen it argued that Toei's Kanon stuck too true to the VNs character designs, which simply didn't adapt well to animation).

I cannot watch Kanon since I find the faces too deformed.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Jacut wrote:
Tsukihime was no masterpiece by any means and not as good as the VN (of which I finished every arc) but still... Compared to animes released in the first half of 2024, how many can hold up to it? Two? Three? I think we should be glad to have had a time in anime history - and not just one actually - when average animes like this one were still watchable at least.

Tsukihime aired in the same season with Fullmetal Alchemist 2003, PlanetES, Chrono Crusade, Gungrave, Gunslinger Girl, Cromartie High School, R.O.D. TV, Bobobobo Bobobo, Requiem from the Darkness, Uninhabited Planet Survive, Twin Spica, PoPoLoCrois, Godannar and Galaxy Railways. You could accuse it of being a lot of things, but being the only watchable anime of its season isn't even remotely one of them.

EDIT: I just realized you said 2024, suggesting that Tsukihime is somehow superior to the current generation, in which case: Frieren, Apothecary Diaries, Dungeon Meshi, Weakest Tamer, Undead Unluck, Ragna Crimson, Shangi-La Frontier, Girls Band Cry, Konosuba, Tsukimichi, Spice & Wolf, Wind Breaker, Bartender, Jellyfish Can't Swim In The Night, Mysterious Disappearances, Train to the End of the World, Yatagarasu, Urusei Yatsura.
2024 has actually been a shockingly strong year, whether you prefer the artsy stuff, the action shonen stuff or the isekai stuff.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 4:17 am Reply with quote
Whatever your opinion of this anime is, I will always prefer the 2000's look of it over any post-2000's version release.
Daerian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 9:18 am Reply with quote
Saying that anime removed Shiki's inner monologue is only half truth in my opinion: they removed far more, pretty much his entire character.

Anime's Shiki was turned into standard for that time spineless self-insert harem protagonist, far cry from his character in the visual novel.
db999

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Just finished the show and it’s nowhere near as bad as its reputation. If I had to sum it up really quickly this is the most 6/10 show I’ve ever seen. There’s nothing so awful in it that I’d call it bad, but nothing so well executed that I’d call it good, but it is mostly fine as a show. In fact, I quite liked it, and while it does have a lot of flaws there nothing so bad that I’d go as far as saying it doesn’t exist or where I’d actively dissuade people from checking it out. The biggest issue is that the show is slow. There are so many moments in every episode where there are long pauses between scenes or dialogue, that make the show feel kind of boring and listless. The show also does a really bad job of characterizing the main character Shiki. By the end of the series I couldn’t really tell you much about him as a person other than plot points and he feels somewhat bland and generic. I also feel as if the show is both too long and not long enough, in where the show feels both too slow and that there’s also a lot of stuff in it I’d like to see get explored more.

Luckily I feel the show does a better job with its supporting cast. Shiki’s friends are all fun and likable, and I feel the show does a good job with characterizing Arcureid, Ciel, and Akiha. I also didn’t feel like the show left plot threads open or unexplained. I never thought the plot was confusing and the only loose ends are really who Aoko Aozaki is and what the deal with the twin maids is, but everything else gets an explanation and it feels like a complete story. Where the show shines is in its music, and sometimes in its atmosphere and melancholic tone. I also felt the ending was emotionally affecting as well. Don’t get me wrong this isn’t a great show, and while I liked it I can totally understand why people would bounce off of this show because like I said it can be really slow and boring. It’s shows like this that the 3 episode rule was made fo,r as if you’re not invested by the end of episode 3 this very much isn’t the show for you. However if you can get past that and key into the tone and atmosphere of the show like I did it’s definitely worth a watch, but don’t expect it to blow you away.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2