• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Worst Anime of Spring 2024

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glordit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:11 am Reply with quote
Unnamed memory is definitely a bad adaptation. So much just happens off-screen it's frustrating.
Re:Monster defnitely leans into the edginess a bit but overall found it to a decent power fantasy.
New Gate has its problems but it's overall a fun watch, like a budget SAO.
High speed Etoile isn't terrible, I enjoyed the racing parts, and some the supporting cast were quite fun. It does lose its way a little but gets back on track at the end. *Pardon the pun*
Kimetsu no Yaiba, while not terrible definitely could have been shorter, or even just a film.
TenSura 3 really has the fanbase divided with all its meetings.

Out of all the of mentioned shows, Unnamed memory is probably the biggest offender and deserves the "worst anime of the season" title.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:35 am Reply with quote
Damn, Unnamed Memory's anime must've really sucked if even Rebecca was that pissed.
Lily Garden

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:36 am Reply with quote
As a LN reader, Unnamed Memory was such a frustrating adaptation that I dropped it halfway through.

I hope people will check out the source novel, since so much was glossed over in the anime

I decided not to watch Slime weekly given the discourse around it. I'll binge the whole thing at some point
The_Daytona_500

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:57 am Reply with quote
Imagine having anything but Yuru Camp last in a season that contains Yuru Camp. Though Yaiba gave it a serious run for it's money
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:05 am Reply with quote
Of the titles mentioned by the reviewers, The New Gate is a legitimate contender for worst title of the season (and my #2 pick for this "honor") for all the reasons Richard mentioned, Unnamed Memory is easily the most disappointing (and my #3 pick), Demon Slayer was the most boring, and Slime does deserve special mention for spending literally half or more of the season showing the characters in meetings.

However, one series tops (bottoms?) them all. You can't truly say you've watched the worst of the season if you haven't watched The Banished Former Hero Lives As He Pleases. Rarely have I seen a series so miserably fail at absolutely everything it tried to do, whether technically or in storytelling or characterization senses. Its only positive merit is having one of the season's best EDs.

EDIT:
The_Daytona_500 wrote:
Imagine having anything but Yuru Camp last in a season that contains Yuru Camp. Though Yaiba gave it a serious run for it's money

This one baffles me. I can understand how some may not get into YuruCamp, but it is its own thing and is as delightful as ever at doing what it does.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:19 am Reply with quote
The bizarro tone of A Condition Called Love simply doesn´t exist in the manga. The anime cuts a bunch and is cheap but a lack of direction, unfitting use of music and exhausting bright colors lead to the show missing the point. It also needed to have gone on for twice as long to get to the point. East Fish Studio simply didn´t get it. Not that the show has no merit but nearly all of that is due to the manga alone.

If the team that made A Sign of Affection made the anime with the same care, direction and lack of cuts and it also went on for 26 eps then it would be in talks for slice-of-life anime of the decade. I would even say that A Condition Called Love has slightly better and more muti facited source material. I for example failed to see its biggest twist coming (Vol 14) and I regularly read actual books without pictures.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:39 am Reply with quote
I don't typically bother with bad shows or even ones that I think I may not like. So this whole botched subtitle thing with Dead Dead Demon's Dededede Destruction, a show I know I'll love has been the "Worst" anything for me this season.
LiteralGrill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:51 am Reply with quote
Tired: Learning Japanese so you can watch more anime.

Wired: Learning French so you can watch more anime due to licensing shenanigans (and read more manga tbh).
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:52 am Reply with quote
Demon Slayer's definitely the worst thing I've kept up with this season. It's still quite pretty by 3D / 2D anime-merger standards, but so little has happened that I don't think I'd have finished it if not for always turning it on while focusing on something else. I've generally looked forward to commiserating with James' suffering prose more than actually watching it.

Aside from that, very little has wowed me, and I've generally thought of the season as pretty weak. But, I also can't think of very much that has been terrible? So maybe it was more like the lower and upper tails of terrible/great were cut off. If I had to, after DS, I'd probably name Mushoku Tensei or Tonari no Yokai next, but I actually thought both had quite good showings this season, just with .. the usual uhh variable grossness/writing quality .. and with vibes often a bit too chill and relaxed for me, respectively. But, also both with some pretty remarkable episodes and writing/direction, too. EDIT: Oh, actually, maybe Slime would be the next worst, for reasons similar-ish to DS.

I guess I missed watching anything truly terrible this season. I'll have to try harder next season.

Last edited by NeverConvex on Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Erulogos

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:54 am Reply with quote
cyberdraco wrote:
Your just wrong about Slime. Season Three is just as good as the other seasons.

Calling it the worst of the season is a stretch, but cour 1 of Slime S3 definitely was a stumble. This is mostly due to the pacing and direction, especially the direction. There's no problem with talky episodes, Slime has always had those, and they can be necessary and can also be fun, but a lot of the meeting scenes were practically narrated manga panels rather than anime, exposition dumps with a side of Rimuru glazing laid on top of mostly static shots. Contrast to the most recent episode, lots of low action talking going on, but all of it was done with more flair. If they keep up that sort of talky episode the rest of the run will be solid, we just need to stay out of the meeting room of doom and try to avoid episode long Rimuru glazing sessions.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:55 am Reply with quote
My disappointments/worst anime of the season have already been mentioned by others so I will keep it short:

Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken 3rd Season is better at the slice of life stuff than the battle and politics, having so much content revolve around a table was maddening
Unnamed Memory was a lot of wasted potential, I never once felt invested in the romance and there is very little of it, it is talked about but barely shown plus some of the arcs made no sense at all.
Hananoi-kun to Koi no Yamai made me question if the show is saying that being a creepy stalker(ish) boyfriend is okay or if it is actually not.
The Banished Former Hero Lives as He Pleases was pure trash without any value.

The season as a whole was very solid, not many real stinkers yet also not many very good anime, there was a large variety of genres though.
Elfensjón

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I somehow can understand why someone would pick Unnamed Memory as worst anime of a season. The first episode was promising and I admit, I watched it until ep 10 (and will finish it later this night) and even as anime-only you could recognize that some story parts are missing which makes it hard to follow the anime.

But I do not really get why Girls Band Cry was chosen as worst anime by the writers of ANN. Even when I read their commenting and I somehow get the point why they think the title deserves to be the worst in my opinion this title was a gem of this season (at least for me). At first, the animation was a point why I would drop a show, but in this case I quickly got warm with it. The story was intriguing and I really enjoyed watching new episodes every week. That little gremlin (Nina) grow to me.

I would have no objections if they put Whisper Me a Love Song as worst anime because it was unfortunately a literally sh*t adaptation. The animation quality got worse with every new episode. In ep4 you could see that the people in charge had no interest in this project when they decided to use a picture collage instead of light animation in the scene where the band was preparing for a concert. I don't want to blame the animators for this as they are the ones who have to deal with the wrong decisions the producers had made (if you can believe the claims made by an insider on X). The anime project was seemingly affected by MAPPAesque conditions at the animation studios and a director who literally was desinterested in this project. I could understand if the manga author of Sasakoi would look like this:

[img]https://www.pinterest.de/pin/yoriko-kichijouji-em-2023--1144477324035571261/[/img]
YackDe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Highspeed Etoile was a real exercise in incompetence. The first episode should be studied in how not to introduce an audience to your show. Nothing but flat shots of cars passing by accompanied by equally flat and dry commentary from people you don't care about, with your main character not even showing up until the end to give people no sense of what the show will be about or why they should keep watching. The difference between this and what Overtake managed to do in its first episode while still highlighting the racing was like night and day.

It improved over time, but only marginally, and its final episode was a perfect showcase of what made the show so bad. For the whole show Rin had bonded with an AI who helped her during races, but in the final race a thunderstorm knocked out the AI's power. So of course instead of showing Rin struggling without the guidance she's had all this time, she has no issues whatsoever. All to set up that her growth over these 12 episodes now allows her to win purely on her own skill, right? Nope, the AI comes back and counts down for her at the very end. It's like watching someone who is only vaguely aware of what a story is make a show, which is not surprising since its series composer seems to have spent decades making shlock.
MemoBookworm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Elfensjón wrote:
But I do not really get why Girls Band Cry was chosen as worst anime by the writers of ANN.

They aren't saying it's the worst they're saying that the fact that it isn't licenced is the worst. It's very click-baity tbh especially with the picture.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:43 pm Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
My disappointments/worst anime of the season have already been mentioned by others so I will keep it short:

Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken 3rd Season is better at the slice of life stuff than the battle and politics, having so much content revolve around a table was maddening

I always say the SoL stuff is way better, everybody gets mad at me tough.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6