• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime of Spring 2024

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Kaiju No. 8 is the only series this season that I've bothered to watch fully; it's alright as far as Shonen adaptions goes(and it got me to go and read the rest of the manga on Viz's reader). There are aspects of the worldbuilding that I'm not a fan of and that remind me of similar issues with Tokyo Ghoul, but it's always entertaining at least.

q_3 wrote:
Astro Note was a lot of fun too and sadly underappreciated. It did a great job of taking all the good parts of old school romcoms while stripping away most of the bad and giving a fresh, progressive perspective. I'm confident that Kimiko Ueno will have a highly successful original sooner or later, she definitely has the talent for it.

I'm glad it turned out well; this was the series I was most excited for this season and then I never got past the premiere. Not sure why, exactly; maybe I'll pick it up again.

Still waiting on Dead Dead Demon's Dededede Destruction to un-fuxk the subtitles so that I can actually watch it. Otherwise it would probably be top of my list as I love the manga.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I'll wait and see how Girls Band Cry ends and determine if that was the best I've seen in the Spring season. Train to the End of the World has recently ended today, and I am glad that show had a very satisfying conclusion unlike Jellyfish which definitely stumbled sadly.

kgw wrote:
Quote:
Of course Gāruzu Bando Kurai (Girls Band Cry) is the best of the season, but unless one lives in Japan and speaks Japanese or in France and reads French, it is not allowed to be mentioned.

Which French streaming service is streaming it? Asking for a friend with a VPN...

Found in Animation Digital Network.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Delicious in Dungeon was easily my favorite and I was surprised it was. I watched the first few episodes because my friends wouldn't stop praising it (and of course because all my feeds were inundated with Marcille faces/freakouts), but I just saw it as a cooking show with a twist and a few good jokes. I had written it off as one of those "well I'm sure it's good, but it just doesn't click for me" shows that I'm sure everyone has some of.

But I eventually I gave it another shot one afternoon because I had nothing else really going on (big shoutouts to Netflix's "Continue Watching" list making me feel guilty about not finishing it Very Happy) and was really blown away. While the "ooo pretty food" aspect never goes away the story gets so much deeper than I had written it off as. It may sound weird to say since DiD wears its emotions on its sleeve (both comedy and serious) but I think it's almost a fun companion piece to everyone's other recent favorite fantasy anime, Frieren. When you brush away all the monsters and demons and great animation, they're both ultimately about the importance of the bonds of a found family and how they change us, and to a lesser extent how important it is to appreciate those bonds while they're around, especially when the lifespan difference in all your fantasy races means some of those people will be around substantially shorter times than others.

Also it does one of my favorite, most appreciated (super-minor) things in anime, it changes the OP (or ED) when a plot event affects the cast. Granted, it's not by a lot, but I liked when they added Izutsumi to the circle of the group falling at the end of the second OP. Like I said, it's super-minor, but basically any time a show does that it goes up a point in my book.
pi8you

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:57 pm Reply with quote
q_3 wrote:
Astro Note was a lot of fun too and sadly underappreciated. It did a great job of taking all the good parts of old school romcoms while stripping away most of the bad and giving a fresh, progressive perspective. I'm confident that Kimiko Ueno will have a highly successful original sooner or later, she definitely has the talent for it.

Seconding this, even more overlooked than the other gems this season.

For my personal Best of the season, Train to the End of the World and Spice & Wolf take the top spots. Train was the kind of Only In Anime nonsense I love, and even in retreading the same ground Lawrence and Holo are unbeatable.
FishLion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Delicious in Dungeon is such a treasure, Senshi's hotness was mentioned this time. I love the comments for these types of articles because there are even more good titles to pick up!
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Although not fully over yet I liked this season a lot. There were not many great anime but there were a lot of good ones and there was a rather large variety to choose from. There were also some pleasant surprises and not too many stinkers.

Special mention to:
Dungeon Meshi for being so creative and charming.
Tonari no Youkai-san for making me laugh and cry in the span of 5 minutes several times.
Henjin no Salad Bowl for having a cast of loveable idiots that made there not being a story fine.
Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? for being very out there and unique.
Yuru Camp△ Season 3 for being very charming despite some animation wonkiness.
Shinigami Bocchan to Kuro Maid 3rd Season for closing off the series with a worthwhile conclusion.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Delicious in Dungeon is also my pick for top title of the season, but man, Kaiju No. 8 has made a surprisingly stiff run at that title. It may wallow in generic shonen action conventions, but when it hits, it hits hard. Other top contenders for the #2 spot are Spice & Wolf (a good adaptation of strong material, though it mostly doesn't outperform the original adaptation) and Mushoku Tensei (stronger character writing than most people give it credit for and occasionally sizzling action sequences).

I also feel that An Archdemon's Dilemma: How To Love Your Elf Bride deserves at least some acknowledgement here. I can't fairly place it among the season's top-tier series, but it has handled its premise impressively well and with greater-than-expected appeal. I consider it one of the leaders of the season's second tier.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 3:03 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

kgw wrote:

Which French streaming service is streaming it? Asking for a friend with a VPN...

Found in Animation Digital Network.

Thank you. I wouldn't need a VPN, apparently, even in my country is not in their streaming zone.. but the anime is not included in their free pass.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I was definitely overly ambitious with the amount of anime I tried to keep up with this season haha (at least compared to most where I'm watching maybe 4-5 at most).

Not counting shows I only watched an episode of and never returned to, my list included MHA S7, Spice & Wolf, Kaiju No 8, Sound Euphonium, Train to the End of the World, Go Go Loser Ranger, Sand Land, Tonari no Yōkai-san, Jellyfish Can't Swim at Night, One Piece, Dead Dead Demons, Delicious in Dungeon, plus Natsume's Book of Friends (not a new seasonal but the backlog dub is weekly)... and I think I only managed to stay consistent with half of them. I'm honestly not even sure what would be my favorite? While I generally enjoyed most of what I saw, I don't think there was a clear runaway AOTS that I loved like some seasons past.

Some shows felt pretty consistently well-made but didn't really grab me on an emotional level, were a bit of a mixed bag or went in a different direction than I originally hoped, started too late in the season to really have a good grasp on it as a whole right now, or were perfectly fine but haven't exactly proved themselves to actually justify their existence so far for me (I'm so sorry Spice & Wolf, I love you but the anemic art direction/color palette is not doing you any favors). I guess I would pick Sound Euphonium S3 or Train to the End of the World, with Dead Dead Demons right at their heels with a lot of potential? I suppose its been a good season in terms of variety for different audiences (which is definitely a good thing!), even if I'm feeling more lukewarm on it.

And while Delicious in Dungeon was not one of the shows I managed to stay on top of, I'm also not surprised to see it getting a lot of love here. It had really nice cast chemistry, I just fell off earlier on when episodes felt more episodic/had more of a clear formula and didn't manage to get back to it.

Definitely need to find a better balance for Summer and not try and take on a dozen shows. And hopefully actually finish some of those listed above haha
Nipasu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:25 pm Reply with quote
My favorites this season were Wonderful Pretty Cure and Wind Breaker.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see Train got several top picks. I found myself looking forward to it, and more consistently enjoying it, than any other show this season.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:24 pm Reply with quote
champeagle3 wrote:
YATAGARASU and Tonari are both certified bangers, but up until the gut punch episode of Hibike this week, one series that's hardly been mentioned had been my AOTS. So I'm curious if there's a reason for that.

Was traveling this weekend, so just finished watching EP12 of Hibike! Euphonium 3, but your comment had me worried something like Truck-kun was going to run over Kumiko, so the band would have to win gold at Nationals for her memory would happen. Surprised

champeagle3 wrote:
Blink twice if you're not allowed to acknowledge the existence of Girls Band Cry...

The only thing that is likely to disappoint me about the show is not getting a second season.
Glordit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:24 am Reply with quote
YATAGARASU finally getting the recognition is deservers!

For anyone wondering, Girls Band Cry isn't mentioned because it isn't legally available outside of select non-English speaking countries. If it was streaming in English, in the US only (like Blue Archive), it would have had a chance.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:32 am Reply with quote
I'm glad Tadaima Okaeri got at least a mention. It's nothing earth shattering but it's such a comfy show with healthy family relationships and it gives me a nice weekly dose of saccarine romance that is actually pretty rare in the anime scene nowadays.

Girls Band Cry, Dungeon Meshi and Yatagarasu would be my best of season, but Tadaima Okaeri is up there as shows I look forward to the most. I'll be sad to see it end.
YourNameIsMitsuha

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 5:08 am Reply with quote
I know, I know, it's not licensed in America... but hands down Girls Band Cry is my favorite anime this season, no competition. It breaks my cold little heart to not see it even mentioned here. I've never seen an anime use tension so effectively, and yet the show feels very satisfying in the little resolutions between that tension. Besides that, the animation reminds me strongly of a more polished RWBY, which I love. The music is not quite up my alley, but I'm still enjoying it immensely. Whoever failed to license this in America needs to be assigned to cleaning their company toilets for the next year as punishment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3