• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ninja Kamui Anime Briefly Listed With 2nd Season (Updated)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't a fan of it. I couldn't get into the characters and it.... didn't really feel like anime? It just felt like an American comic trying to ape 80s OVAs but with none of the visual charm of that era. I ended up dropping it midway.
Andy26

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Ok I am not a fan of Ninja Kamui and a lot of Toonami's original productions have fallen flat in my opinion.
I understand that content is hard to come by, and expensive when you can get it, but there has to be more work put into creating something than finding one well known director, giving him a little money and then air whatever gets produced.
I could rail all night on the missteps that so many other shows they made took but I think I can sum it all up by saying:
Go watch Housing Complex C then honestly tell me you want more.
Kamui had some nice fight scenes but too many one dimensional characters to justify waiting for the next fight to kick off.
I'm not trying to yuk anyone's yum though, if this is your thing then let it be your thing, I'm just happy the world is still producing Anime fans.
If this is not your thing then maybe we can band together and ask Jason to just run Cowboy Bebop again, or more Sailor Moon even.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:01 am Reply with quote
Andy26 wrote:

*awkwardly raises hand*

I mean I...did want more of it? It's one of the few Toonami originals that I unabashedly enjoyed. The first by a mile was Shenmue, and it's an absolute crime we're never going to see more of that, because lol Crunchyroll happened.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:22 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Andy26 wrote:

*awkwardly raises hand*

I mean I...did want more of it? It's one of the few Toonami originals that I unabashedly enjoyed. The first by a mile was Shenmue, and it's an absolute crime we're never going to see more of that, because lol Crunchyroll happened.
I agree. Shenmue and Housing Complex C are both the strongest of AS/Toonami's original programming, and I'd love to actually see more of both (but we never will with Shenmue, which sucks).

I don't think Ninja Kamui was bad. I did have my issues (still don't believe that Emma HAD to die, and the CGI was clunky in many areas that did distract from the action), but I wouldn't be against a 2nd season. They left the ending open enough on the series to warrant continuing it, even hinting at Zai being the next main character if not a teacher for the next main character. My issues aside with some of the story beats and animation, it was wonderfully voice casted and I liked a lot of the music and action. I'd say it was a pretty middle of the road sort of series, and that's enough to make me happy and liking to see more. And maybe after the current round of originals are done (Rick & Morty: The Anime and Uzumaki are still incoming, and we do have My Adventures with Superman running, although not sure if anyone wants to count that as a Toonami original), we'll see an announcement for an S2? Who knows, but I'll be happy to see it if we do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2