• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Summer Games Fest 2024 Wrap-Up

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Avec ou Nous

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Largely off-topic but I appreciate third party companies giving us Transformers figures of the Japanese series. I don't expect Hasbro to do it since I don't think most of them even came over to the west but I do enjoy my Micron Legend and Super-God Masterforce figures from FansHobby. I did pick up the Titan class Black Zarak though since it fits in fairly nice in scale with them and it's just a recolor of G1 Scorponok so it was an easy call for Hasbro to make one.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
If you’re going to make a remake something you shouldn’t remake it so faithful to the source that it makes the remake redundantly superfluous.

I think it's more important that remakes should be an attempt to provide the player a better
overall gaming experience or at least one that is on-par with the original. Something like Super Mario All Stars comes down to your preference if you prefer the original NES games or the SNES versions. Personally I grew up with the NES ones so I never cared for All Stars much but I wouldn't say it's a bad game since it's largely the same and only people so familiar with the originals would be able to tell if the control is slightly off. Similarly, I think games like Metroid Zero Mission are an improvement over the original Metroid since it has a lot more content. Same with a lot of later versions of older Final Fantasy game like the GBA remakes of 1-6 simply being upgraded versions of their original games with additional content. But then you have cases like Mario 64 DS which technically has more content but it's so tedious with the character swapping and just an overall lesser quality product than the original.

An issue with a lot of modern remakes is they often feel like they weren't made for the sake of giving modern players a better experience than the original since most of the time they have less content. They usually feel like a cheap attempt to profit off a popular game and don't have much reverence put into them.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Avec ou Nous wrote:
Largely off-topic but I appreciate third party companies giving us Transformers figures of the Japanese series. I don't expect Hasbro to do it since I don't think most of them even came over to the west but I do enjoy my Micron Legend and Super-God Masterforce figures from FansHobby. I did pick up the Titan class Black Zarak though since it fits in fairly nice in scale with them and it's just a recolor of G1 Scorponok so it was an easy call for Hasbro to make one.

Yeah, we're in a bit of a golden age for folks who like the obscure weirdo Japanese characters like Star Saber or RID2001 Optimus Prime/Fire Convoy. Most of them are HasLab stuff, which is a shame, and I don't expect it to last much longer (I'm losing hope that we'll see Armada/Micron Legend Jetfire made for combining with Armada/Micron Legend Prime). But dammit, I got my remade Minerva and I got my remade Override. I'm satisfied.

iwantotellyouaboutthetransformers.jpg

Avec ou Nous wrote:

BadNewsBlues wrote:
If you’re going to make a remake something you shouldn’t remake it so faithful to the source that it makes the remake redundantly superfluous.

I think it's more important that remakes should be an attempt to provide the player a better
overall gaming experience or at least one that is on-par with the original. Something like Super Mario All Stars comes down to your preference if you prefer the original NES games or the SNES versions. Personally I grew up with the NES ones so I never cared for All Stars much but I wouldn't say it's a bad game since it's largely the same and only people so familiar with the originals would be able to tell if the control is slightly off. Similarly, I think games like Metroid Zero Mission are an improvement over the original Metroid since it has a lot more content. Same with a lot of later versions of older Final Fantasy game like the GBA remakes of 1-6 simply being upgraded versions of their original games with additional content. But then you have cases like Mario 64 DS which technically has more content but it's so tedious with the character swapping and just an overall lesser quality product than the original.

An issue with a lot of modern remakes is they often feel like they weren't made for the sake of giving modern players a better experience than the original since most of the time they have less content. They usually feel like a cheap attempt to profit off a popular game and don't have much reverence put into them.

I can't agree with this because too much of this feels like it stems from the notion that a remake is meant to replace the original game. And that notion just... doesn't sit well with me. Again, it feels like it's coming from the position of people looking at games purely on their technical merits and nothing else. I think there's something to be said about how Dead Space's remake handled things; there are a lot of things you could point to from Dead Space as a categorical upgrade from the original game (the goddamned meteor shooting), but Dead Space also changes some narrative details from the first game. Meanwhile, the first Dead Space is also still widely available and perfectly playable. Which one you prefer to the other is entirely up for debate, but I've nevertheless seen plenty of Dead Space fans with the belief that both versions exist in a good balance with each other, serving to expand on the same story. The RE4 remake is also in that same position.

A lot of this boils down to whether or not the original is available in a decent format (which just goes to show the need for archiving older games).
Flash33

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:29 pm Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:
Flash33 wrote:
Quote:
The leader of a gang of pirates called the Lillien Knights (who are more like The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything)

Nice VeggieTales reference here. Not what I expected to see but it brought a smile to my face as someone who grew up on VeggieTales.

Regarding MMPR there's no denying it's iconic even if it's not my favorite (I started with Ninja Storm and Dino Thunder, and two of my favorites are Lost Galaxy and Time Force), but like you said focusing too much on the same one will just lead to diminishing returns. Just look at Pokemon and how much people are tired of all the attention Gen 1 Pokemon like Pikachu & Charizard get. It'd be nice if they gave some of the other series some love every once in a while.
"

I aim to please when it comes to my deep cuts Anime smile

I remember the Gen 1 nostalgia with regards to Pokémon wa absolutely at its worst when the Gen V games came out. In a way, I'm glad Gen VI put that baby to bed. Once folks started getting their two alternate Charizard mega-evolutions did they realize that maybe, maybe a Pokémon based off of an ice cream cone wasn't a sin in God's eyes.

Personally I was never bothered with the Vanillite lines designs and never really got the hate for them. Are they weird? Sure, but not that much weirder than many other Pokemon designs, especially in regards to gen 1 (Grimer-Muk, Voltorb-Electrode, Weedle-Kakuna-Beedrill, Caterpie-Metapod-Butterfree, etc.).
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:56 pm Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:
After 20 years of marinating on their own works (not to mention their own personal growth), creators should feel entitled to change things up with a remake. As fans, it's unfair for us to demand they only do the thing they did a lifetime ago with no changes at all--they're literally no longer the same person they were when they originally made it!

If RE4 Remake had kept everything as it was in the original game in particular the entire Castle segment heads would’ve needed to roll. Sure they kept the water room section and arguably made it worse than the original but still a win that they cut a lot of the fluff and useless stuff like the empty Pendulum room with the Death Traps that you have to try to get killed by.

And praise be that the RE3 Remake didn’t have roaming Nemesis or that BS puzzle with the random solution.

Avec ou Nous wrote:
overall gaming experience or at least one that is on-par with the original. Something like Super Mario All Stars comes down to your preference if you prefer the original NES games or the SNES versions.

I’m the weird guy that grew up with the NES and SNES versions of the games in the All Star collection (sans both versions of the NES Super Mario Bros 2) but prefer the GBA versions of these games in spite of their washed out colors, screen crunch, and compressed audio.

If only for the audio clips of Mario & Luigi’s voice lines and Super Mario Advance 2 giving Luigi a proper looking sprite while Mario’s stayed the same.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:53 am Reply with quote
Rob19ny you've been warned multiple times for your strange interactions in this column. You don't work here, no one is asking you for "facts" related Jean-Karlo's often innocuous comments within the column and you seem unable to engage in any actual discussion here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
thecowardlyantoine

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:47 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
And praise be that the RE3 Remake didn’t have roaming Nemesis or that BS puzzle with the random solution.

They didn't do roaming Nemesis in 3make? I never played it since I did not like all the changes they made but but the RE2 remake did the roaming Mr. X thing so I assumed they would do the same or reuse the same AI for that. Kind of odd they would swap those mechanics around between games. Ironically I hated the Mr. X stuff in the 2 remake and it's one of the biggest turn offs for me since he was a scripted sequence in the original. It felt like they were trying to re-create the Nemsis scenes from 3 since it was so iconic back in the day so it's odd they would just not do that for 3's remake. I guess it would have gotten old if 2 games did it in a row but... why not just do it for 3 the game that it originated in and not 2? Very odd..
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:11 am Reply with quote
thecowardlyantoine wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

They didn't do roaming Nemesis in 3make? I never played it since I did not like all the changes they made but but the RE2 remake did the roaming Mr. X thing so I assumed they would do the same or reuse the same AI for that. Kind of odd they would swap those mechanics around between games. Ironically I hated the Mr. X stuff in the 2 remake and it's one of the biggest turn offs for me since he was a scripted sequence in the original. It felt like they were trying to re-create the Nemsis scenes from 3 since it was so iconic back in the day so it's odd they would just not do that for 3's remake. I guess it would have gotten old if 2 games did it in a row but... why not just do it for 3 the game that it originated in and not 2? Very odd..

They did a different thing with Nemesis where there was a ton of scripted sequences and then one hub section of the city where he literally drops into the area anytime you entered it. It was a big let down from the PS1 RE3 where you had a semi-roaming Nemesis who'd engage you repeatedly in the first half of the game in a way that seemed random(though was based on a lot of different factors and choices you've made in game). I feel like the RE2 remake Mr. X is a perfected version of this design, personally.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:39 pm Reply with quote
thecowardlyantoine wrote:
Ironically I hated the Mr. X stuff in the 2 remake and it's one of the biggest turn offs for me since he was a scripted sequence in the original. It felt like they were trying to re-create the Nemsis scenes from 3 since it was so iconic back in the day so it's odd they would just not do that for 3's remake. I guess it would have gotten old if 2 games did it in a row but... why not just do it for 3 the game that it originated in and not 2? Very odd..

RE7 which immediately preceded the remakes did this.

RE6 had this to an extent with the Ustanak in the Jake & Sherry Campaign.

Revelations had this with Rachel

The RE1 Remake had this with Lisa Trevor.

So yeah by about RE2 Remake it was pretty old.

And then of course RE8 brought it back as did Separate Ways
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2