• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Reports: Nintendo Switch Successor to Launch in 1st Quarter 2025

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:20 pm Reply with quote
A 7-year lifecycle and another cross-cyle year on top most likely. Seems sensible but the Switch being the Wii U 1.5 of course complicates things a bit. So it´s 11.5 years of basically the same tech. That console died the second the Switch dropped and only Xenoblade Chronicles X is left unported so far. What a bomb of a console.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:34 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
A 7-year lifecycle and another cross-cyle year on top most likely. Seems sensible but the Switch being the Wii U 1.5 of course complicates things a bit. So it´s 11.5 years of basically the same tech. That console died the second the Switch dropped and only Xenoblade Chronicles X is left unported so far. What a bomb of a console.
Some rumors are saying that an enhanced XCX port/remake/remastered is a launch title for the the Super Switch but like all rumors such as the topic take it with a grain of salt.

Edit: Another healthy side effect of delaying the release would be more consoles at a launch to sell and hopefully burning scalpers.

Last edited by ZelosZoidberg on Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
According to the rumors, the delay is due to Nintendo wanting to beef up their first party lineup for the new console, suggesting there was a game releasing in the early months of 2025, or maybe that got delayed out of late 2024, that they want to have at launch.

This is something I wanted to comment on. I did not mention this in ANN's article specifically, because it felt very nebulous. VGC specifically said this (emphasis mine):

Quote:
One publishing source suggested the delay was so that Nintendo could prepare stronger first-party software for the console.

Nintendo wanting to prepare stronger first-party titles was a SUGGESTION by the source, not something this particular source of VGC's said was fact. Based on my reading of this, this was the source's opinion only on the situation. So I left this out of ANN's article.

That said, Eurogamer said according to its sources:

Quote:
The console's launch moving into early next year - but still within the coming financial year - is designed to ensure Switch 2's launch line-up features as many titles as possible

Which is similar but not the same.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:10 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Also, assuming there's even going to be another XBox is being very generous considering MS' current predicament.

Would be weird not to after the company pretty much mentioned that’s what they intend to do.

Granted the cynicism is valid especially with how finicky this industry is but they’re not bowing out yet…for some reason.
Matros

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:24 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:

Microsoft is already talking up the next generation, being eager to get out of this one. Whereas PS5 is comparably at the halfway point of its generation, and still PS5 gamers feel that this has been a poor generation of cross-gen and poor exclusive offerings with all the big good-looking hitters from Grand Theft Auto VI and Death Stranding 2 targeting 2025, and still no 1st party next-gen game in sight. Capcom and Square Enix have been doing most of the work..

Ah, we're confidently spreading misinformation now. Let's no generalize and push the narrative that most PS5 gamers feel that way even though it's the opposite. Most people agree that of all PS consoles PS5 has had the best launch line up with titles like Demon's Souls and Miles Morales. The first years had better offerings than the PS4 in its first years. (Ratchet & Clank, Returnal, Kena, GoW Ragnarok, GT7, Horizon Forbidden West, FF16, Spider Man 2 and so on.) No to mention PSVR2 and its games. And why does it mater if 4 of these games are cross gen? How does it affect you in any way? You're still getting the superior experience on PS5 and judging by the sales most copies were sold on PS5 anyway.
Some history revisionism going on in here in order to sounds more credible.

Also, "and still no 1st party next-gen game in sight" since when are Spider Man 2, Returnal, Ratchet & Clank, Demon's Souls and Wolverine not 1st party next gen games?
Meexa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:21 pm Reply with quote
No need to rush. I'm still enjoying my current one and all the back log of games I have.
phantom360

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I hope not. That's the time most people are recovering from all the holiday spending they should either push it to 2nd-3rd quarter or just speed up development to make it this holiday season.
Meexa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:47 pm Reply with quote
phantom360 wrote:
I hope not. That's the time most people are recovering from all the holiday spending they should either push it to 2nd-3rd quarter or just speed up development to make it this holiday season.

You have a good point. They would be competing against overstock sales too, and tax season.
Doubleclouder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:18 am Reply with quote
I don't know if it's just my Switch which I bought at launch, but even the online store has a lot of lag and is slow to move through the menus. I don't particularly need a super powerful machine but I would like it to at least do basic functions smoothly.
baianojack

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:57 am Reply with quote
These rumors always pop up, mostly because people can’t pay attention very well to history and what Nintendo actual does before there is a new console. Nintendo generally has a console launch with a large list of first party games and some big third party games. Mario Kart and Legend of Zelda just got updates. Game design on these games is 5-7 years. Tears of the Kingdom reused assets and had a shorter development window. I don’t see them going back to that well. We haven’t even heard where Metroid 4 is at but a year or so the developers said it went back to board. Don’t expect another console for at least another 3-5 years. Switch sales aren’t even slowing down so it’s unlikely this is anything but industry wishful thinking.
Dnautics

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:21 am Reply with quote
I hope the Switch 2 releases earlier than later. I love the comments talking about how the Switch 2 will fail because of wahhh performance. I would argue that most people who own a Switch do not care about state of the art performance. Decent framerate and maybe 4k video is all I need. The latest switch games have been suffering from low frames, that's my only complaint.
Meexa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:30 am Reply with quote
baianojack wrote:
These rumors always pop up, mostly because people can’t pay attention very well to history and what Nintendo actual does before there is a new console. Nintendo generally has a console launch with a large list of first party games and some big third party games. Mario Kart and Legend of Zelda just got updates. Game design on these games is 5-7 years. Tears of the Kingdom reused assets and had a shorter development window. I don’t see them going back to that well. We haven’t even heard where Metroid 4 is at but a year or so the developers said it went back to board. Don’t expect another console for at least another 3-5 years. Switch sales aren’t even slowing down so it’s unlikely this is anything but industry wishful thinking.

Nintendo is definitely planning or developing something in the back end. But when they going to release it is up in the air.
Meexa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:31 am Reply with quote
Doubleclouder wrote:
I don't know if it's just my Switch which I bought at launch, but even the online store has a lot of lag and is slow to move through the menus. I don't particularly need a super powerful machine but I would like it to at least do basic functions smoothly.

My wii u and 3ds where also like that. Bu believe it or not, my PS3 was the worst when it came to this. The only thing that has smooth online is my PCs and Xbox 360.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Dnautics wrote:
Decent framerate and maybe 4k video is all I need.

You need to be ready to be disappointed, then, because you're not going to get 4k video in a unit the size of the Switch. The Steam Deck is twice the Switch's weight and just barely manages to run games well at 800p. Video cards that are capable of running modern games in 4k @ 60 FPS are twice the weight of the Deck all by themselves.

Assuming Nintendo is planning for the Switch's successor to be portable, 1080p @ 60 FPS is probably the best you could hope for, and even that might be pushing it a little bit.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:
Dnautics wrote:
Decent framerate and maybe 4k video is all I need.

You need to be ready to be disappointed, then, because you're not going to get 4k video in a unit the size of the Switch. The Steam Deck is twice the Switch's weight and just barely manages to run games well at 800p. Video cards that are capable of running modern games in 4k @ 60 FPS are twice the weight of the Deck all by themselves.

Assuming Nintendo is planning for the Switch's successor to be portable, 1080p @ 60 FPS is probably the best you could hope for, and even that might be pushing it a little bit.
I think he means 4K "video" playback not necessarily video games. At least that's how I read it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3