• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - You Can't Keep Shigeru Miyamoto Down

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
onpufan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:54 pm Reply with quote
My only hope for the next Nintendo console is backwards compatibility. It would be nice to use the old Switch cartridges in it like you could for DS to 3DS. I know digital copies are easier but at least one model with a card reader would be great.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:57 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Furthermore, when their next system is ready, they can basically get an entire generation's worth of ports that can be marketed as the "definitive edition" of titles with all the updates, DLC, etc as people will buy something (or even double dip) simply because of the portability, especially if it's at a discounted price. Titles like the RE remakes, DMC5, the Assassin's Creeds, Street Fighter, FFXV, Tekken, etc, 3rd parties have a big opportunity to get some extra profit for little expense with that considering how many people use the Switch as their primary console nowadays.Altogether, Nintendo's choice is seeming more like a boon than anything

Sometimes I wonder if there's really that big of a potential market for late ports on Nintendo consoles. I remember reading that some developers like Electronic Arts see the Switch as a companion console for people who already own a PS, XBox or PC and that's why there's so few of their titles, though last year they finally gave Nintendo a somewhat complete version of FIFA. I mean, I can see Capcom porting some of newer RE titles for Nintendo's next console, seeing how they made Cloud versions of VII and others, while I think we'll have to wait a long time for games like the new Final Fantasy, Tekken, Persona, etc. on Nintendo. I'd prefer to see some original third party titles on Nintendo consoles, but it seems third-party developers cannot justify to develop brand new HD titles on NIntendo console, it seem only Capcom (MH: Rise) and Konami (Momotaro Dentetsu) have managed to achieve sales numbers that are in line with Nintendo first-party titles.

onpufan wrote:
My only hope for the next Nintendo console is backwards compatibility. It would be nice to use the old Switch cartridges in it like you could for DS to 3DS. I know digital copies are easier but at least one model with a card reader would be great.

The backwards compatibility aspect of Nintendo's new system is an aspect that seems to be contradicted depending on the reports. On one hand, NIntendo has had backwards compatibility in their previous systems like the Game Boy line, the 3DS and Wii and WiiU, but it is said that third-parties are against backwards compatibility since it limits the potential of selling the same games again. But considering that Xbox and PlayStation have backwards compatibility, I think Nintendo is going to follow their practices this time
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:

Sometimes I wonder if there's really that big of a potential market for late ports on Nintendo consoles.

-Looks at all the ports Ubisoft, Square-Enix, CAPCOM, Konami, ActiBlizz, CD Projekt, Zenimax, Sega, Koei-Tecmo, Bandai-Namco, 2K etc put on the Switch-

The numbers speak for themselves. Hell, SqEx's HD-2D series began on the Switch, even a lot of publishers were shocked at how well their ports did on the Switch and they kept bringing their titles over. EA is an outlier in that regard (and might be because of some pouting over privileges Nintendo was not willing to give them). People buy and play more than just Nintendo titles on the Switch, even before bringing in the indie scene where the Switch has become THE platform for smaller studios. There's a reason why Hades was on the Switch before other platforms.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Agreed with Across the Spider-verse and to a lesser extent TMNT: Mutant Mayhem being animated films that actually show how strong the medium can be. As opposed to the Mario movie which was handed off to Illumination who have stopped putting any effort into their scripts since Despicable Me 2.

The negative opinions are lazily dismissed with “Mario’s not supposed to be deep, bro!” but you don’t have to be deep to offer some creativity, good humor, and character arcs. It’s sad the Dungeons and Dragons movie came out right next to Mario, and D&D actually excelled in all those categories I mentioned while also having plenty of fanservice for fans of the IP. All Mario had was the fanservice (the animation was good though nothing remarkable).

As rough as a live-action Zelda could turn out, it’s still a relief Illumination didn’t get their hands on it. Though I wish Studio Laika had been chosen, since Zelda games have had differing art styles, Laika’s style wouldn’t be unfitting (though lord knows certain people who put one or two Zelda games on a pedestal would be mad purely because it’s not THEIR Zelda game’s art style) and the studio excels at telling dark stories but still offering plenty of light hearted moments and humor. But it’s also possible Laika isn’t interested in doing anything with a major franchise which I can respect.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:52 am Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:

People buying Switches don't care that the console has the "worst" port of any given game, they just want Switches and a version of the game they can play on it. John Q. Publics don't spend hours comparing screenshots, hence why Nintendo has sold 132 million Switches.

Oh I know all of this hence my “what if” esque statement along with the fact we actually covered the same discussion of Nintendo getting terrible ports months earlier when discussing the god awful switch port of MK1. Nintendo’s been in the habit of selling underpowered tech at affordable prices on and off for decades and as long as they can convince people to buy it they’re going to reap the benefits from it.

None of this doesn’t mean I can’t wish they’d make a system that can be run in 4K at 120 FPS with games that can also run natively on the system.

FinalVentCard wrote:
The Switch doesn't have 4K resolution, but it has Super Mario Wonder, a game made by a team consisting of senior staff that didn't get laid off.

True but it’s not exactly innovative either it’s just another 2D Mario game that gives you more or less the same of what Mario games have been giving you since 1985. Much in the same way that Tears Of The Kingdom is practically a full priced expansion pack of BOTW,

FinalVentCard wrote:
It's one thing when Nintendo doesn't give you what you personally want, but to just call that "lazy" is unfair. It's not someone else's fault when they don't follow the plan you made for them in your head.

I’m not blaming anyone for having not done anything. I’m just not enthused with Nintendo’s design & marketing philosophy for their game systems. And again even with knowing they’ve settled into a niche and that they’re not competing with other companies on certain fronts can still desire to see them make something on par tech wise with what Sony or Microsoft have.
King Chicken

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:14 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Agreed with Across the Spider-verse and to a lesser extent TMNT: Mutant Mayhem being animated films that actually show how strong the medium can be. As opposed to the Mario movie which was handed off to Illumination who have stopped putting any effort into their scripts since Despicable Me 2.

The negative opinions are lazily dismissed with “Mario’s not supposed to be deep, bro!” but you don’t have to be deep to offer some creativity, good humor, and character arcs. It’s sad the Dungeons and Dragons movie came out right next to Mario, and D&D actually excelled in all those categories I mentioned while also having plenty of fanservice for fans of the IP. All Mario had was the fanservice (the animation was good though nothing remarkable).

I assume the article was referring to art style and not writing because performance wise Mario beat both those films resoundingly. And I think TMNT was a bust even on it's own terms, especially internationally.

In terms of art style I felt Mario was a lot nicer and prettier than Spider-Man or TMNT were.. I never cared for the limited fps and chromatic aberration in Spider-Man and similar films that adopted that style, and TMNT just looked straight up ugly with its character designs. I would not mind more anime adaptions though. Especially after some of the Smash Bros reveal trailers like Palutena.
Mikan-box Glasses-kun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:29 am Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:

He's a tech analyst who has a garbage track record with his predictions, like when he predicted a few years back that we'd get Mario Kart 9 (instead, we're still jamming with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Nintendo is still showing it a ton of support).

People have their heart set on Nintendo just making a Switch that isn't the Switch, for some reason. They're just so enamored with the idea of Nintendo "finally" making a console with "next-gen graphics" when that just has no economic incentive for Nintendo; it'd be too expensive to produce, and it'd be too expensive at retail. The Switch wouldn't have sold nearly as well if it had a $400 price point, and a lot of the millions of Switches sold were to John Q. Publics who don't care about HD graphics.

Nintendo is in a weird position with the Switch--not because of gamers, but because they need to give John Q. Public a reason to get an upgrade to the Switch when millions of John Q. Publics nationwide are perfectly happy with what they have now. Gamers™ can stamp their feet until their ankles break... but we're just a fraction of the audience.

Random question, but have you ever seen the founded in actual facts speculation video from the good people at Digital Foundry about the Switch successor? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czUipNJ_Qqs I love reading about tech stuff so this interested me a lot since it seems both a very reasonable, cost-effective upgrade from the previous Switch, and actually has some advanced features of its own built-in that will allow it to punch above its weight, like fast storage decompression and hardware DLSS 2 support. (Which, if this is what they end up with, is very exciting just from a "finally Nintendo games will all have anti-aliasing" angle, lol.) Still very much a "wait and see" situation, but it's far enough within the realm of possibility (and has enough reliable leaks around it) that whatever Nintendo has cooking will likely be around that range, which is still really cool stuff even if it isn't something ridiculous like "handheld Series S".

[Edit 2 for accuracy] Just wanted to edit this in to add, that it's great to see you recovering and to have you back in the forums, at least! Been a long time reader, and even if I don't always agree with you, it's always fun to read your passionate views on the industry and games! Hope to see you back on the column sometime, and also really enjoying reading Isaiah Colbert's writing here!
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:28 pm Reply with quote
It's funny thinking about ports and such. When it comes to Nintendo consoles I pretty much stick to first-party titles (if something's multi-platform I'm always going to buy it for PC by default), and when I was looking at my shelf the other day I realized that even with that restriction I own a ton of physical Switch games. Between new games and re-releases I have to be over two dozen at this point, with several more in the tank I'm still planning to buy. I'm not even sure I owned that many games for my PS2. The Switch has been a hit factory just from Nintendo's own titles, and that's before you even get to the massive indie successes on the platform.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2