• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Devil is a Part-Timer Season 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually kind of glad Libicocco didn't have time for Chiho's pleasant conversation rather than just thinking she could actually talk down and reason with a hulking demon like that. Though I guess she did by some time. Chiho noise spouting Chiho is best Chiho.

Ashiya was really trying to downplay what's really going on to Rika before the floating people showed up at their window. Though I guess calling them "aliens" isn't inaccurate.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I'm misremembering something, but I thought that Amane was established as a protector of Earth. She was defending the beach from spirits, right? Which means that she has no place in the affairs of angels or demons from another world, as long as they aren't harming humans. Hence, why she did nothing to Gabriel after confirming his intentions.

What I'm more bothered by is why she decided to visit in the first place. There hasn't been an explanation yet (unless I missed a line somewhere, which is easy to do in an adaptation like this).
Key

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:17 pm Reply with quote
review wrote:
And that's without even getting into the beach employer that Maou and the gang worked for a while ago. I still have no [expletive] idea what she actually is and what her connection to the landlady is. She speaks to Gabriel as if she doesn't know him but there did seem to be some kind of territorial understanding going on like rules of a pact that couldn't be violated. This woman isn't an angel and based on little we know about her backstory, she's probably from Earth but I feel like there's so much interesting lore that we're just not gonna be told anytime soon.

Episode 5 did outright say that Amane (the "beach employer") is the niece of the landlady. And in episode 7 Amane did say that she was "the daughter of Earth's Binah." Since Binah is the third sephira of the kabbalistic Tree of Life, she can be assumed to be an entity similar to Alas Ramus, Acieth, and Erone, but on for Earth, rather than Enta Isla. If the Tree of Life is looked at as an underpinning of the world, then her responsibility would be strictly protecting Earth and its inhabitants, so she would only interfere with otherworlders when they're endangering Earth and/or its residents. (And that would be entirely consistent with her actions in episodes 6 and 7.)

As to why Amane is in Sasazuka? That has yet to be revealed or even hinted at in the anime, but novel readers didn't know any more at the end of novel 8 (which episode 19 concludes). More elaboration on this should come next episode, though.

As for the overall lore, yeah, expect to be fed that mostly in small doses for as long as the adaptations last. You've already seen hints of the Big Picture, but it'll take until near the end of the series to put it all together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I even liked the little dramatic tension between Shiro and Rika as he struggles to find the right way to explain the situation without diminishing her intelligence.

I had to check who tf "Shiro" was lol
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Poor Emi. Homes doesn't quite feel like home when it's a medieval fantasy society and you've been living months in modern Japan. Also rough being a single mom on the road, particularly when you're trying to be incognito.

When you can count on an angel to be on your side because he's an utter simp.

Honestly feel like there should be a little more pomp and circumstance to Maou going back to Ente Isla after so long.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:55 am Reply with quote
Looks like we'll be getting the reason why Maou didn't power back up in episode 22. Emi didn't suddenly revert to her normal hero appearance either. Maybe I'm wrong but I get the feeling the source of their powers have changed. Could Maou now be powered by love instead of fear?

I really wanted to give episode 21 four stars, but the animation seemed to take a nosedive this episode.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see them adapt one of my favorite moments in the series spoiler[Emi realizing she's in love with Maou and subsequent emotional breakdown and restoration when she finds out through Alciel that he's there and can save her.]

Comedy with Acieth was also on-point.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:45 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Looks like we'll be getting the reason why Maou didn't power back up in episode 22. Emi didn't suddenly revert to her normal hero appearance either. Maybe I'm wrong but I get the feeling the source of their powers have changed. Could Maou now be powered by love instead of fear?

Emilia's natural state even in Enta Isla is the red hair. She only has the pale hair when in her powered-up form. (Much like Nanao in the current Reign of the Seven Spellblades - although Super-Saiyans might be a better comparison?) As for what's going on with Maou, you'll find out in one of the remaining two episodes, but that it has some connection to Acieth (who's bonded to him) being sick is probably a safe bet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:54 pm Reply with quote
The animation and directing of this season may be less than stellar but the plot and characters are selling the story way better than they did last cour at least.

Especially seeing Maou bowl through soldiers on a pizza delivery truck or Emi finally being in her Dere phase.
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:52 pm Reply with quote
In fairness to the reviewer, I've read the books and I'm still not sure what happened for about half the story. There are plenty of great character moments and interactions, some of which we saw this season, but I thought the series did a terrible job with its world building.

For example, I've never been 100% clear where the "Demon Realm" is supposed to be in relation to Enta Isla. Is it a separate dimension? A different geographical area on the map? It's also implied at one point that Enta Isla may not be an alternate dimension but a separate planet in a different galaxy, which would make Maou, Emi, et al aliens, but that never really got elaborated on at all.

So if I've read the source material and find it confusing in places, I can only imagine how mind-boggling it can be at times to someone who's only seen the anime...
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:20 pm Reply with quote
To address one of the reviewer's comments, Lailah (Emilia's mother) does come back up again in a major way not too long after this point in the novels, but that was always going to be beyond the scope of this season. So was any firm idea about what the angels are really up to and why.

Also, while most of the blame for the way the story has progressed goes on the source material, the adaptation does make a major omission in episode 12. (Anyone who's read the novel will know exactly what I'm talking about.) I have to assume that the director decided to focus more on wrapping things up with Emilia than throwing yet another big mystery into the mix, but that omission takes out a major piece of foreshadowing for the late stages of the story.

Overall, this season's adaptation has been a bit of a qualitative disappointment, but at least it did hit some important story beats (like Emilia reuniting with her father), introduce a crucial new character (Acieth), and advance the overall story some. If they have gone this deep into the story then I assume they're planning to finish it out, though that would require a minimum of two cours to do it even with generous trimming.
FlareKnight

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Sad to say, but I think the end of this review nailed it. Season 1 was really good and I've got good memories about it. So I was happy to have season 2 announced.

But honestly...I probably would look at the show better if it never came back. Season 2 was just lackluster in both parts.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I can definitely say the second half of this "season 2" was stronger plotwise and character-wise compared to the first half even if it's still really brought down by less than stellar production values and directions. The VA's and characters are hard carrying the show rather than just being part of the great whole that was season 1.

I also feel like the ending was really abrupt and unremarkable, but that's probably because they didn't have time for any of the major stuff. The manga conclusion to this arc was a lot stronger but they had more page space for it.

All the same, that scene of Emi blushing around Maou and twirling her hair like a maiden in love...totally worth it.
yappers4

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
To address one of the reviewer's comments, Lailah (Emilia's mother) does come back up again in a major way not too long after this point in the novels, but that was always going to be beyond the scope of this season. So was any firm idea about what the angels are really up to and why.

Also, while most of the blame for the way the story has progressed goes on the source material, the adaptation does make a major omission in episode 12. (Anyone who's read the novel will know exactly what I'm talking about.) I have to assume that the director decided to focus more on wrapping things up with Emilia than throwing yet another big mystery into the mix, but that omission takes out a major piece of foreshadowing for the late stages of the story.

Overall, this season's adaptation has been a bit of a qualitative disappointment, but at least it did hit some important story beats (like Emilia reuniting with her father), introduce a crucial new character (Acieth), and advance the overall story some. If they have gone this deep into the story then I assume they're planning to finish it out, though that would require a minimum of two cours to do it even with generous trimming.

Anime-only watcher here. What is the major omission that was left out?
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:07 pm Reply with quote
yappers4 wrote:
Anime-only watcher here. What is the major omission that was left out?

Not sure how much of a spoiler this is, but since it's possible another season (if made) could bring it up, I'll put it in spoiler tags:

spoiler[As the battle in Esthazan reaches its climax, the person the angels answer to shows up - in what appears to be a fully-enclosed modern-day spacesuit - and causes Alas Ramus and Acieth to both freak out. The landlord then appears to shoo that person away and take all those who had been living on Earth back with them. (She specifically insists on the then-unconscious Gabriel being brought along as well, so that part at least dovetails into how the anime episode ended.)]

Yeah. Otherwise, the episode plays out almost exactly like it does in the book.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3