• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Paprika Hits US Theaters May 25

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:24 am Reply with quote
Here's hoping that Paprika will show up in Columbus. I was lucky enough to catch A Scanner Darkly when it briefly appeared here, so hopefully the same luck will follow.

DKL wrote:
Jonathan Klein did a super job with Paranoia Agent, so I'm sure he'd hit the mark here too...

He did Paranoia Agent? Wow, it's one of my favorite English dubs. Since he also is doing Ergo Proxy, which I'm enjoying the English dub after having watched all of the Japanese dub, I definitely have to look more into his stuff. I know that he also did Texhnolyze, which I suppose I'll give a chance in English the next time I watch it.

AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
For all I know, this had BETTER come to Delaware's movie theaters! And we need an English dub, too! (Hell, I'd still love to meet and then hit the asshat at Dreamworks who insisted on dicking us out of a R1 release of the GITS: Innocence dub, while we're at it)

I don't know what issues, if any, came with dubbing Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence. It Manga Ent. had gotten the license we would've definitely gotten one released (though, I think the Brits were able to get an English dub), but obviously it didn't happen.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:59 am Reply with quote
BTW, I really love Sony's site for the film. It's got a friendlier interface than the Dreamworks site for Millennium Actress.
Crawly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:00 am Reply with quote
I couldn't get the site to work properly in either Firefox or IE. I guess it doesn't like 800 x 600...

Anyway, if it hits Tallahassee in subtitled form we'll be going to see it. My SO is a big fan of his, so there's no way I could keep her from it. Not that I'd want to try.
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's already a given that this will be back in NYC. I'm looking forward to seeing it again, but I'm secretly hoping (wishing?) that Dreamworks will dub the film at some point. There's just so much happening on screen that even the most experienced subtitle viewers will miss something. I know *I* did.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Dreamworks isn't handling it this time.
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:46 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
For all I know, this had BETTER come to Delaware's movie theaters! And we need an English dub, too! (Hell, I'd still love to meet and then hit the asshat at Dreamworks who insisted on dicking us out of a R1 release of the GITS: Innocence dub, while we're at it)

I don't know what issues, if any, came with dubbing Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence. It Manga Ent. had gotten the license we would've definitely gotten one released (though, I think the Brits were able to get an English dub), but obviously it didn't happen.

I'd still love to sock the asshat behind that dick move in the jaw for that. Whenever I watch anime, I don't want to bother with reading subtitles (With very few exceptions). I'd rather see it in English than Japanese. Such a move like that is like forcing the Japanese to watch The Simpsons in English with Japanese subtitles.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I've actually seen The Simpsons in Japanese... it was pretty neat.
Crawly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:42 pm Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
...Such a move like that is like forcing the Japanese to watch The Simpsons in English with Japanese subtitles.

And? What if they want to watch it that way? Don't discount one group of people just because you don't fit into that group. There are people who prefer things in their original language just as there are those who prefer thing in the language the film or series were originally shot. Doesn't matter if it's the Simpsons, Star Trek, AzuDai, or Grave of the Fireflies.
Ranmah

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:16 am Reply with quote
I highly recommend watching this film. If it comes on Sub, then count me in. I watched the film in the Original Japanese, so I was confused with the story.

I should listen to the soundtrack again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
musashi1600

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:34 am Reply with quote
If I have to pay ~$300 for airfare to see this movie in a theater again because Sony refuses to release it in Hawaii, I will demand someone's blood as reparation. Twisted Evil

That said, I've been dying to see this movie again since the Hawaii International Film Festival. It is a most awesome Satoshi Kon movie. Very Happy

(I don't think putting the intro sequence on the website was such a good move; part of the coolness of it come from seeing it the first time with the movie.)
Pyoko

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:17 am Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
Hell, I'd still love to meet and then hit the asshat at Dreamworks who insisted on dicking us out of a R1 release of the GITS: Innocence dub, while we're at it

They didn't "dick" anyone out of anything. The dub didn't even exist when it was released in R1.

Quote:
Such a move like that is like forcing the Japanese to watch The Simpsons in English with Japanese subtitles.

Haha, priceless. Ignorance is such a funny thing.
Kouji

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:30 am Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
). I'd rather see it in English than Japanese. Such a move like that is like forcing the Japanese to watch The Simpsons in English with Japanese subtitles.
Apparently, Satoshi Kon likes to watch American movies in English with Japanese subtitles: http://www.tkfd.or.jp/eng/division/public/supercool/sc01.shtml
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
MNanimefreak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:05 am Reply with quote
anyone know when they will announce cities, theaters, dates etc.??
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Pyoko wrote:
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
Hell, I'd still love to meet and then hit the asshat at Dreamworks who insisted on dicking us out of a R1 release of the GITS: Innocence dub, while we're at it

They didn't "dick" anyone out of anything. The dub didn't even exist when it was released in R1.

It's still one of the gayest moves around.

Why the fudge should the Brits get the Innocence dub but not us? **riots**
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:33 pm Reply with quote
AirCooledMan: Gofish was run by idiots. In fact, I finally broke down and imported a Thai region-free version of Casshern, because of how long it's taken to be on R1 dvd.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3