• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney to Exclusively Stream Tokyo Revengers: Christmas Showdown Anime in January

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RealNath

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:22 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
L'Imperatore wrote:
Somehow I have this feeling that Disney will grab Witch Hat Atelier anime as well.I mean, the plot is sooo Disney lol.

They'll change the names, coloring and then slap a new title on it and claim it as their own instead. Why mess with tradition? lol

Since when does Disney+ change anime's titles?
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:36 am Reply with quote
So Crunchyroll no longer licensing Kodansha animes? That means they won't get Attack on Titan third final season? CR is keep losing some big anime titles (like Bleach final arc and Black Clover movie) and selection of animes in CR is getting smaller and smaller.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:54 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
So Crunchyroll no longer licensing Kodansha animes? That means they won't get Attack on Titan third final season? CR is keep losing some big anime titles (like Bleach final arc and Black Clover movie) and selection of animes in CR is getting smaller and smaller.

We don't know if that's the case at the moment. I doubt it's going to affect AOT but after that is anyone's guess. Kodansha might be sick of the Sony monopoly or something, we don't know because we're not industry insiders. I'm sure Justin or the Answerman column will have some take in due time if this blows up more.
gloworm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:03 am Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
Really unfortunate that it will likely split between two streaming services everywhere else though, I wonder how the potential dub would be handled for this one since the two they've put out so far seem pretty low quality.

Yeah, I've not been impressed by the Black Rock Shooter dub. It's always disappointing to see new entrants in the field go for studios little background in anime dubbing when you have companies like Ocean and New Generation Pictures out there with decades of experience and a proven track record who are not exactly drowning in work.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:09 am Reply with quote
gloworm wrote:
Hagaren Viper wrote:
Really unfortunate that it will likely split between two streaming services everywhere else though, I wonder how the potential dub would be handled for this one since the two they've put out so far seem pretty low quality.

Yeah, I've not been impressed by the Black Rock Shooter dub. It's always disappointing to see new entrants in the field go for studios little background in anime dubbing when you have companies like Ocean and New Generation Pictures out there with decades of experience and a proven track record who are not exactly drowning in work.

VSI also started with live action dubs and look at their Vinland Saga dub. It's downright elitistic to dismissive some studios just because they haven't dabbled on anime dubbing yet.
gloworm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:37 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
VSI also started with live action dubs and look at their Vinland Saga dub. It's downright elitistic to dismissive some studios just because they haven't dabbled on anime dubbing yet.

I am dismissive of "Roundabout Entertainment" because so far they appear to be rather mediocre, their inexperience just being a possible explanation. Maybe they'll improve once they figure things out, but until they do I don't see why Disney should make them the center point of their English language anime push when better alternatives exist.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:41 am Reply with quote
gloworm wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

I am dismissive of "Roundabout Entertainment" because so far they appear to be rather mediocre, their inexperience just being a possible explanation. Maybe they'll improve once they figure things out, but until they do I don't see why Disney should make them the center point of their English language anime push when better alternatives exist.

Disney uses Iyuno too so...
Manu#12

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:01 am Reply with quote
Ah perfect, so no weekly simulcast outside of the U.S and some Engilsh-speaking countries, others will probably have to wait 6+ months. Crunchyroll is even dubbing the series in my country which means that Disney will have to dub the 2nd one, and they'll probably change all the voice actors. I hate that Japanese companies don't care one bit about where their series go, but then they'll complain about overseas piracy and the fact that they don't know how to stop it (and mind you, I'm against piracy).
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:27 am Reply with quote
Manu#12 wrote:
Ah perfect, so no weekly simulcast outside of the U.S and some Engilsh-speaking countries, others will probably have to wait 6+ months. Crunchyroll is even dubbing the series in my country which means that Disney will have to dub the 2nd one, and they'll probably change all the voice actors. I hate that Japanese companies don't care one bit about where their series go, but then they'll complain about overseas piracy and the fact that they don't know how to stop it (and mind you, I'm against piracy).

What's the goddamn proof that they're gonna change the voice actors?
Manu#12

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:40 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Manu#12 wrote:

What's the goddamn proof that they're gonna change the voice actors?

They mostly use different dubbing studios/companies than the ones Crunchyroll uses. I was talking about my country anyway, so this isn't about the English dub.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:44 am Reply with quote
Who was asking for Disney to license the second season of Tokyo Revengers?

Like, it's so random and the show doesn't really feel like a good fit for them anyways, especially since they don't even have season 1. So what's the point?

And now it's going to be stuck in Disney jail so a lot of positive buzz/attention to it will go down the drain (I mean, Summer Time Rendering acclimated thanks to fansubs, but still). And the dub will be left to a new, inexperienced, studio who so far haven't quite delivered all that well.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:01 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Who was asking for Disney to license the second season of Tokyo Revengers?

Like, it's so random and the show doesn't really feel like a good fit for them anyways, especially since they don't even have season 1. So what's the point?

And now it's going to be stuck in Disney jail so a lot of positive buzz/attention to it will go down the drain (I mean, Summer Time Rendering acclimated thanks to fansubs, but still). And the dub will be left to a new, inexperienced, studio who so far haven't quite delivered all that well.

Or maybe they could send it back to Studiopolis given that they have a story working with them. Did you forget that? Only two animes and now everyone assumes everything's going to Roundabout?
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:16 am Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
Somehow I have this feeling that Disney will grab Witch Hat Atelier anime as well.
I mean, the plot is sooo Disney lol.

My concern as well. I am really looking forward to this show but nowhere near getting a Disney+.

FukuchiChiisaia wrote:
I wonder the implications for licensor like Muse Communications, considering Tokyo Revengers is one of their biggest anime license for Southeast Asia.

Maybe Disney+ saw the success Tokyo Revengers in Indonesia, and decides to all out to gain Indonesian market?

Just curious, and anecdote only of course, but how much of a market share do you think Muse has in SEA?
CelticMutt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Two thoughts here -

1) Disney licensed the live action Kindaichi series that was supposed to start back in April, and it's still not on Disney+ or Hulu here in the US as far as I can tell.

2) The licensor or distributor in Japan gave Crunchyroll heavily censored episodes of Tokyo Revengers, which made a lot of people end up up looking elsewhere. I wonder if the same thing will happen with Disney?
kaoru99

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Why is Disney only licensing sequels? Especially sequels to shows they don't have the rights to? Earlier this month Disney Plus got the sequel to Tatami Galaxy but not the original show. And now it's the same thing with Tokyo Revengers.

Seems like a simple business strategy in works: Wait to see what's popular. See it's popular. Buy out the sequels to popular thing so people have to watch popular thing on your platform. Make your platform popular by association.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3