• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Laid-Back Camp TV Anime Gets 3rd Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Philville wrote:
Are there any relatively recent iyashikei anime series in this vein which you would recommend?

The classic iyashikei is of course Non Non Byori. Flying Witch has quite a supernatural bent, but it's so. danged. good.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:57 am Reply with quote
Philville wrote:

Are there any relatively recent iyashikei anime series in this vein which you would recommend? I know my slice-of-life classics like Fruits Basket or Clannad but haven't really been keeping up with the genre lately.

I suppose I should also specify that I'm not really into shows with an overtly supernatural bent (in this particular genre), but then again I loved AnoHana (which has preternatural elements and is pretty plot-centric, despite arguably qualifying as iyashikei), so that's not quite accurate.
I've lately gotten into Encouragement of Climb which is probably the closest in tone to Laid Back Camp which has a new season out now on HiDive. The first couple of episodes of the new season are also recapping the earlier shorts as the previous seasons are no longer streaming. I really liked Slow Loop and Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater. I thought Slow Start and Comic Girls were under-rated. I also recently enjoyed Akebi's Sailor Uniform.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Philville wrote:

Are there any relatively recent iyashikei anime series in this vein which you would recommend?...

Super Cub is excellent (even if one does not ride, but riders will see things that reflect their experiences that non-riders will miss), as is Aquatope on White Sand (even if one is not that into aquariums).
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I almost forgot about Super Cub which I really enjoyed and I second that recommendation.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the notion of if it's just more of the same, then that's perfectly fine. As they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Loved season 1 (still need to watch season 2) enough to buy the first 7 volumes of the manga right after it.
Philville

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:52 am Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Philville wrote:
Are there any relatively recent iyashikei anime series in this vein which you would recommend?

The classic iyashikei is of course Non Non Byori. Flying Witch has quite a supernatural bent, but it's so. danged. good.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

I've lately gotten into Encouragement of Climb which is probably the closest in tone to Laid Back Camp which has a new season out now on HiDive. The first couple of episodes of the new season are also recapping the earlier shorts as the previous seasons are no longer streaming. I really liked Slow Loop and Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater. I thought Slow Start and Comic Girls were under-rated. I also recently enjoyed Akebi's Sailor Uniform.

Piglet the Grate wrote:

Super Cub is excellent (even if one does not ride, but riders will see things that reflect their experiences that non-riders will miss), as is Aquatope on White Sand (even if one is not that into aquariums).

Thanks for the recommendations, y'all. It sounds like Encouragement of Climb is going to provide me with my iyashikei fix in-between seasons of Laid-Back Camp. Aquatope has been on my list for a while, since I remember it making some reviewer year-end lists here (and I basically like anything set in Okinawa). Non Non Byori is one of those shows I really should have watched by now, but can never seem to get around to it, so shame on me. I hadn't really heard of Flying Witch but it seems to have quite the cult following. Now I just need to figure out whether I want to go the manga or anime-only route (where applicable), since I'm rarely able to commit to both. Having said that, there's something about this genre's soothing use of color, music and sound design which is making me lean towards anime (although manga can obviously offer plenty of meditative "healing" in its own way). Either way, it seems I've got a lot of catching up to do!
Northlander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Philville wrote:
Are there any relatively recent iyashikei anime series in this vein which you would recommend? I know my slice-of-life classics like Fruits Basket or Clannad but haven't really been keeping up with the genre lately.

It's not really recent, as the show is more than ten years old at this point, but.... Aria. All of it
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2