• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Devil Is a Part-Timer!! Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I know a lot of people have complained about the animation for the fight, although Super Saiyan Alas Ramus was pretty fun, though I'm just here for Emi getting to know Maou better and discovering motherhood just as she's about to deal with a mess her own mother created.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Liked episode 4 overall, but I have to agree that the pacing is a bit erratic towards the end.

For anime-only viewers, this concludes the adaptation of novel 3. It is a reasonable adaptation of the last quarter of the novel, covering all the major points and leaving out only one minor one that may or may not come up again later: that spoiler[when Emilia was letting Better Half guide her to Satan in the Demon King's Castle on Enta Isla, it may have actually been attracted to Alas Ramus's shard in tree form instead.] (Gabriel also elaborates a bit more on his search for Yesod shards prior to coming after Alas Ramus and Better Half, but that's not that important at this point, either.)

Oh, and concerning confusion as to why the Heavenly Regiment was obeying Lucifer: in the novel, the other cast members present also have trouble believing that, but keep in mind that Lucifer was an archangel - i.e., one of the most powerful and highest-ranking - and these guys are just flunkies. Old habits die hard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to comment at how bad was the animation in episode 4. Hopefully this is just a bump on the road.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this episode was very ugly, I gotta be honest. I've never found Alas Ramus particularly endearing, but there were some shots where she literally looked like an alien
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:28 pm Reply with quote
To be honest I have no idea what the writer's intentions are. I mean, is he playing with the whole "sympathy for the devil stuff?" Cos after the fake death, Mao fell into depression and Chi and Emi were chill as heck with Alas before explaining what actually happened. It almost feels like the ambiguous morality from Code Geass where you know Lelouch and Suzaku are both good and horrible people at the same time this series is quieter
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:18 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
To be honest I have no idea what the writer's intentions are. I mean, is he playing with the whole "sympathy for the devil stuff?" Cos after the fake death, Mao fell into depression and Chi and Emi were chill as heck with Alas before explaining what actually happened. It almost feels like the ambiguous morality from Code Geass where you know Lelouch and Suzaku are both good and horrible people at the same time this series is quieter

I don't blame Chiho for this one (in fact she calls Emi out on it... casually), it's all Emi's fault and it was a really petty decision on her part. Overall, I think it really hurts her character in the long run but I swear spoiler[ she does get better later on. ] I kind of wished that they would have just cut that joke as it doesn't really work in the manga and the light novel. The only benefit to that decision is the really cute scene between Mao and Alas Ramus where they reunite.

Now we have all talked about the extreme amount of jank in this episode. Like characters are different sizes frame by frame, objects are missing in some cases and it doesn't leave the greatest impression on the average viewer... it leaves a really bad one. That being said, I still enjoyed the hell out of it and I hope the blu rays will have updates and edits to these episodes. I really hope we get another season after this cause despite the jank, I really like this adaptation and I want more.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:41 pm Reply with quote
No wonder Chiho has such a good head on her shoulders when you see her mother.

(Also I just find it funny how Emi accompanied her and Maou to Chiho's house. Also the fact that it took a VHS tape to get Maou to come to her house).

Poor Urushihara...even the baby has to ask everybody to stop bullying him!

Looking forward to hopefully seeing the gang in swimsuits.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:11 pm Reply with quote
^
Yeah, swimsuits will be coming next episode.

Things might be a little clearer on the direction the story is going (and what's up with Mikitty) by the end of this mini-arc, which I expect to last three episodes based on current pacing. (Episode 5 speeds through more than half of novel 4, but a lot of what got glossed over is just more detail on what's seen in the episode. Hence, anime-only viewers didn't miss much.)

As for Chiho, this is the part of the story which I felt elevated her from just being a hanger-on wannabe-girlfriend to an integral, participating member of the Enta Isla dynamics. She's at least as much of a bridge between the two sides as Alas Ramus is, and her development from this point out is probably the most appreciable in the series. Episode 5 illustrated quite well why both the human and demon factions feel that they can trust her.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Urushihara pointing out how dumb it was for them to expect the demons to understand them in Japanese was priceless. It's like they forget it's not their first language since they've been talking that way for so long.

Camio seems cool. More Alciel than Lucifer, but he seems pretty reasonable and adorable as a baby crow. Alas Ramus playing with him was adorable.

I feel like they kind of underplayed the girls being in swimsuits compared to what I'm used to in an anime. I was expecting they'd show them off more or have more panning shots, but...not really? Well, they showed off Chiho a lot, but I guess that's to expected. Felt like a shame when the swimsuits looked so nice and in-character.

Emi is both an overprotective mother and a classic tsundere when it comes to Maou.

Urushihara actually being serious for once and elucidating on how he wanted to get back to Heaven and how much Emi might've been used by Olba the whole time.

So will we finally find out more about the landlady and her family through Amane and how they're connected to all the Ente Isla hi jinks?
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Really good stuff coming, but damn that crappy animation and uninspiring directing...UGH!!!
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:20 am Reply with quote
I'm enjoying the MaouxEmi moments, with Emi blushing so much around him, him hugging her like she's his woman, and the "domination" line.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:19 am Reply with quote
I think the adaptation of this arc was pretty decent. I wish they had spent more time on Camio. He's my favorite of the generals and it feels like they gave some of his lines to Maou. The next arc is going to be a fun one but I feel like its going to be an odd watch.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:33 pm Reply with quote
It's not that I'm not still enjoying the show somewhat, but it feels little more lifeless and less dynamic compared to season 1, down to the animation and character bits. It feels less unique and standout compared to how it used to.

I still appreciate watching how Maou and Emi's development continues.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Review wrote:
Given the show's pacing though, this is probably the last arc of the season so who knows what type of payoffs will get before we reach that end.

Actually, it's probably not. In fact, I'm betting that this won't go past next episode.

Admittedly, that's an educated guess, since 90% of this episode is anime-original. But considering that novel 4 was adapted in only three episodes, and novel 5 is the same length as novel 4, that this is a two-episode stall so that the series ends at the end of novel 5 would make sense.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Review wrote:
Given the show's pacing though, this is probably the last arc of the season so who knows what type of payoffs will get before we reach that end.

Actually, it's probably not. In fact, I'm betting that this won't go past next episode.

Admittedly, that's an educated guess, since 90% of this episode is anime-original. But considering that novel 4 was adapted in only three episodes, and novel 5 is the same length as novel 4, that this is a two-episode stall so that the series ends at the end of novel 5 would make sense.

This a story that was featured in the manga. But you are correct is it will most likely end next episode. The next episode most likely will start the last arc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3