• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth Announced as 2nd Entry in Final Fantasy VII Remake Trilogy

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:01 pm Reply with quote
SnowWarren wrote:
So I need a PS5 if I want to play the rest of this trilogy?
Terrific. Just great.

Intergrade is coming to Steam so you won’t have to if you don’t want to. You just might have to wait a bit longer….or go without unless Square shows some love to Xbox owners.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:15 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
SnowWarren wrote:
So I need a PS5 if I want to play the rest of this trilogy?
Terrific. Just great.

Intergrade is coming to Steam so you won’t have to if you don’t want to. You just might have to wait a bit longer….or go without unless Square shows some love to Xbox owners.

That won't help as I played it on PS4. I was hoping they'd do a version for the rest of the trilogy, especially since the new Crisis Core game will be on PS4.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:22 pm Reply with quote
SnowWarren wrote:

That won't help as I played it on PS4. I was hoping they'd do a version for the rest of the trilogy, especially since the new Crisis Core game will be on PS4.

The New Crisis Core game is actually an old PSP game being dressed up for current Gen systems that aside one would think they’d make a PS4 port for Rebirth being 5’s are still hard to come by and with Sony clarifying the system is still going to be supported until 2024 if I recall correctly.
T.Silver

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Soulwarfare wrote:
Rob19ny wrote:
Not just in your first comment but also in the bold: You're just showcasing your ignorance. How long have you been under a rock because it's clear you never played the original games nor the remake to understand that this was always going to be at least 3 games. The fact Part 1 only covered the beginning the portion of the game before you get to the world map proves you know absolutely nothing because it is only then you knew it would take at least another 2 games. The original PS1 game was 3 discs. Now this remake is 3 games. Its fitting. Nothing was milked or extended. Only your lack of knowledge on the topic sees it as that. Do research before replying. You're only embarrassing yourself.

Yeah, you're right, I forgot the PS1 version was 3 disc but it was still one whole game. They didn't sell one disc each. You brought FFVII, you got the complete game.

The studio is selling each disc as one full $60 and that isn't milking it? FFVII remake could be completed in like 35 hours and JRPGS are usually way closer to the 100s.

They are milking what was one game and splitting into 3 different games at full price. Clearly, I'm in the wrong for even suggesting that they are doing it to just make 3x the money on a single beloved Final Fantasy IP by extending it through multiple games and spinoff projects just on FFVII alone.

I accept I am wrong, they are totally not milking FFVII
Well you'd be correct if it was the same game, but it's not. Rather FF7R is a sequel to all of FF7 and its various titles. It's going far beyond a simple retelling or reimagining.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:55 pm Reply with quote
T.Silver wrote:
Soulwarfare wrote:
Rob19ny wrote:
Not just in your first comment but also in the bold: You're just showcasing your ignorance. How long have you been under a rock because it's clear you never played the original games nor the remake to understand that this was always going to be at least 3 games. The fact Part 1 only covered the beginning the portion of the game before you get to the world map proves you know absolutely nothing because it is only then you knew it would take at least another 2 games. The original PS1 game was 3 discs. Now this remake is 3 games. Its fitting. Nothing was milked or extended. Only your lack of knowledge on the topic sees it as that. Do research before replying. You're only embarrassing yourself.

Yeah, you're right, I forgot the PS1 version was 3 disc but it was still one whole game. They didn't sell one disc each. You brought FFVII, you got the complete game.

The studio is selling each disc as one full $60 and that isn't milking it? FFVII remake could be completed in like 35 hours and JRPGS are usually way closer to the 100s.

They are milking what was one game and splitting into 3 different games at full price. Clearly, I'm in the wrong for even suggesting that they are doing it to just make 3x the money on a single beloved Final Fantasy IP by extending it through multiple games and spinoff projects just on FFVII alone.

I accept I am wrong, they are totally not milking FFVII
Well you'd be correct if it was the same game, but it's not. Rather FF7R is a sequel to all of FF7 and its various titles. It's going far beyond a simple retelling or reimagining.

Yeah, literally this. It's has been theorized since the game came out and soft confirmed by books and even the devs that FF7Remake is a sequel and not a an actual Remake. The Remake in the title is a play on words due to ingame event.
Pandsu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:16 pm Reply with quote
SnowWarren wrote:

What makes matters worse is that, shortly before the first one came out, they claimed all parts would be available on PS4 (as well as next-gen) and then they didn't even keep that promise for the Yuffie DLC
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:16 pm Reply with quote
i thought there would be more games tbh...now only one stopping point would make sense and that would be the scenes that takes place in the city of the ancients, spoiler[personally since they already altered the plot im hoping Aerith lives]
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Pandsu wrote:
SnowWarren wrote:

What makes matters worse is that, shortly before the first one came out, they claimed all parts would be available on PS4 (as well as next-gen) and then they didn't even keep that promise for the Yuffie DLC

They gained brains... It'd be stupid to still be releasing PS4 games by the time the 3rd game comes out. If it's the same cadence, it'll be around 2027/28. Not only would it be dumb to still design games around PS4 limitations, it'd be like making PS3 games 8 years after the PS4 came out... Yeah, no happening. Much less around such a large IP.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Soulwarfare wrote:
Of course they were going to milk it and turn it into a trilogy

Bold of you to assume that they stop at 3. Even if they say one more "final" title, I'm not falling for that crap after the "final" season of Attack on Titan turned out to be not one but three.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious to see where they take the story.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:58 am Reply with quote
Siegfriedl88 wrote:
i thought there would be more games tbh...now only one stopping point would make sense and that would be the scenes that takes place in the city of the ancients, spoiler[personally since they already altered the plot im hoping Aerith lives]

They won't ever do that. That was always intended to happen.

spoiler[Having played the original game with character modifications. She has text lines in Disc 2 of the game but after a certain point they stop... clearly pointing to where she was originally supposed to die. Why do you think her mother was the last of her kind? They all died to stop Jenova in the first place. Sephiroth is still auto-battle, btw, if you mod him in your party. Both delete themselves from your party regarding the ending stuff.]

They're... altering a lot of things because, well, certain characters exist now that didn't exist back then: Genesis, Angeal, the Deepground, the Remnant... All those things exist or have to exist as result of the story but the main plot has to stay somewhat the same. Advent Children and Dirge are both still sequels.
Pandsu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:57 am Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:

They're... altering a lot of things because, well, certain characters exist now that didn't exist back then: Genesis, Angeal, the Deepground, the Remnant... All those things exist or have to exist as result of the story but the main plot has to stay somewhat the same. Advent Children and Dirge are both still sequels.

spoiler[So is this trilogy. So pretty much anything can happen. And I mean the trailer even has her like "What do you mean I died? Died how? You saying that I'm a fake? A clown? I amuse you?" so that might already hint at them altering history (though it could just as well be the case that Cloud "remembers" this, sees it sorta like a vision, they try to prevent it but it still ends up happening because those phantom thingies MAKE it happen, as it was meant to be.
Hecc, that might even end up being the whole finale of this part. Who knows.

But I mean, the name Rebirth is a pretty big hint as well ]
Puniyo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:57 am Reply with quote
Soulwarfare wrote:

The original FF7 also looked like it was made out of craft paper and simpler gameplay. Production costs and times are just different now. I'm not going to sit here and say a company isn't trying to make as much money as they can, but devs have also stated multiple times this also allows them to spend as much on production as they can too.
T.Silver

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
Siegfriedl88 wrote:

They won't ever do that. That was always intended to happen.

spoiler[Having played the original game with character modifications. She has text lines in Disc 2 of the game but after a certain point they stop... clearly pointing to where she was originally supposed to die. Why do you think her mother was the last of her kind? They all died to stop Jenova in the first place. Sephiroth is still auto-battle, btw, if you mod him in your party. Both delete themselves from your party regarding the ending stuff.]

Nah, Remake is a sequel to all of FF7, that includes advent children and dirge. Anything can happen this point going forward.
myskaros

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Pandsu wrote:
spoiler[And I mean the trailer even has her like "What do you mean I died? Died how? You saying that I'm a fake? A clown? I amuse you?" so that might already hint at them altering history (though it could just as well be the case that Cloud "remembers" this, sees it sorta like a vision, they try to prevent it but it still ends up happening because those phantom thingies MAKE it happen, as it was meant to be.]

FYI, spoiler[those are Tifa's lines, not Aerith's.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2