• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Demon Slayer Anime's Swordsmith Village Arc Previewed in Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matros

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:26 pm Reply with quote
PseudoFiction wrote:
Man.. I'd love to known what the main story of One Piece is, since every arc give 50 new characters to remember then mostly discarded when they move to the next island.

First step would be paying attention to the story instead of talking out of one's ass. OP is the last show you should accuse of discarding characters, Oda makes always sure to bring back old characters or mention them. No need to be so pretentious.
Mushrinku

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:47 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
KarlFranz wrote:

Yeah, Kaguya totally has been set up as the final boss. Totally not because Kishimoto accidentally made Madara too strong so he had to make another villain to upstate Madara.

Which was solved by dusting off Kaguya who despite what people think wasn’t created in part 2 as she was mentioned/referred to all the way back in part 1. Who was even more stronger than Madara and couldn’t be defeated under practical circumstances.

KarlFranz wrote:

Oh and let not forget all the story themes and messages that got toss aside along the way and how most side characters got sidelined (who is Tenten anyway?)

I mean let’s not pretend that TenTen ever had as much relevance and importance as Neji & Lee. Like the only memorable thing she did was get squashed off screen by Temari who later joined her village years later. While it is true that Naruto did undercut’s it’s supporting characters by barely using them in the story. It’s been demonstrated that trying to give your supporting characters too much focus in parts of the story where they’re not needed can also be an issue as Bleach infamously demonstrated numerous times.

If you believe kaguya wasn't invented on the spot at the end of naruto I'm afraid you're extremely delusional.
danpmss

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:39 pm Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:
Why did the manga end only after four years?

Was it a failure in terms of sales towards the end?

Normally, successful projects like this are run for many years, sometimes even for more than a decade. And they do not become bad or dragged just because they are long.

Or was it the author's actual intent to make this story relatively short?

You have to be the only person on earth who thinks Demon Slayer, one of the most successful mangas in the last years, that most of the time even surpassed One Piece as the No. 1 manga seller in the world, with the most successful anime movie of all time and with the anime show being milked through the years by released like 10+ episodes at at time, and which ended naturally upon the mangaka's wishes, ended because it was a fAiLuRe iN tErMs oF sAlEs tOwArDs tHe eNd.

I hope youre just a troll, because you can't be this disconnected from reality.

LOL, not even close. Demon Slayer sold better than One Piece in 2 years in which it released 3 volumes against 20+ boosted ones from the anime's popularity.

One Piece has nearly 500 million copies sold as of now, while Kimetsu no Yaiba has 150 million.

Even comparing the first 23 volumes of One Piece with Kimetsu's 23 volumes total, One Piece still sold more per volume than it (despite selling less per volume as time went on, like any manga ever usually does).
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Mushrinku wrote:

crazy how you put naruto and " a story that was planned for many years ahead and not invented on the spot" on the same sentence, and gives it as an example for a story that did not become bad.
naruto's last arc was horrible writing. the ending was garbage. in fact half way into part 2 of the manga the story started to go down hill, the last arc was just the peak of its bad writing.

That is vague.

While, of course, no one has to like or dislike anything, I am just stating a fact that Naruto had a long-planned story that concluded coherently, explaining thoroughly every mystery behind the manga, including e.g. Zetsu and other aspects. (This is how ideas by some readers to end the manga earlier, without uncovering the hidden layer of the story, are weird.)

KarlFranz wrote:

Yeah, Kaguya totally has been set up as the final boss. Totally not because Kishimoto accidentally made Madara too strong so he had to make another villain to upstate Madara.

Yes, Kaguya totally has been set up as the final boss. She was contextualized in the beginning. Also see the aforementioned Zetsu character. It was planned this way since forever.

PseudoFiction wrote:

Man.. I'd love to known what the main story of One Piece is, since every arc give 50 new characters to remember then mostly discarded when they move to the next island.

Those "50 new characters" is not the main story of One Piece, though. And, most importantly, the islands that the author creates are imaginative enough for the show to be interesting. In fact, in general, it is so good in this creative aspect that I would want it to continue for as long as possible (unlike e.g. Naruto, where the concept was not exploration and the story was huge but definitive, so it was always limited). That said, even One Piece is slowly but surely getting close to its conclusion as its grand story is, as I mentioned, already planned.

Last edited by MaxSouth on Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:21 am; edited 3 times in total
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:07 am Reply with quote
Thanks everybody for the replies.

lossthief wrote:
I think the era of super-long running shonen jump hits is mostly over, One Piece notwithstanding.

I personally like giant epics, so if the world created is interesting and rich enough, I would not mind it to have more story. Of course, if it is not mindless dragging for the sake of sales/milking something to death.

Currently, I am seeing that My Hero Academia, Black Clover and World Trigger have become long anime -- with hiatuses, but maybe with a possibility for continuation.

Attack on Titan and Fairy Tail were long mangas, but have ended.

Did I forget any big current shonen projects?
Yaafm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:30 am Reply with quote
Oh wow, sword arc already? Im not complaining but after that is really just a bit of a jog to the end.
JonDoe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:39 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:

What rock have you been living under if you seriously have to ask if Demon Slayer ended because of bad sales? The manga sold 150 million copies. It's monumental success has been very well documented and everything.

MaxSouth wrote:
Normally, successful projects like this are run for many years, sometimes even for more than a decade. And they do not become bad or dragged just because they are long.

E.g. One Piece and Naruto had the main story planned for many years ahead of writing/drawing the chapters, they were not invented on the spot just to prolong the mangas. (Unlike Bleach where "plot" of a team member being kidnapped is just endlessly repeated and beaten to death, which had a drastic consequence for sales of the manga as it was obviously aimlessly dragged without any actual thought behind this.)

Demon Slayer didn’t run for decades because the creator never planned for the series to be a long-runner that outstayed it's welcome. And there's definitely been plenty of Shonen that suffered a serious drop in quality because they ran for far too long. Naruto being one of them. That's why I'm happy that the era of long-running Shonen is quickly becoming a thing of the past and long-runners are being replaced by shorter more well constructed manga like Chainsaw Man and Demon Slayer.

Like "The Not So Chosen One" guy said earlier. I also hope you're just a troll, rather than someone who is just horribly out of touch with reality.

Last edited by JonDoe on Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:40 am Reply with quote
[quote="MaxSouth"]
Mushrinku wrote:

KarlFranz wrote:

Yes, Kaguya totally has been set up as the final boss. She was contextualized in the beginning. Also see the aforementioned Zetsu character. It was planned this way since forever.

Just because you mention a character at some point in your story and then that character show up as the final boss isn't good writing or foreshadowing. The fact is that Kaguya has no barring on the themes of the story, she doesn't represented anything wrong with the world that the characters have to overcome, she is just a big bad that show up at the end and then got defeated. In fact, most of the theme in Naruto got discarded as the series went along to make way for more powerup. How can you plan out a story and forget what your story even about in the first place?
RandomCommenter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:59 am Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:

You have to be the only person on earth who thinks Demon Slayer, one of the most successful mangas in the last years, that most of the time even surpassed One Piece as the No. 1 manga seller in the world, with the most successful anime movie of all time and with the anime show being milked through the years by released like 10+ episodes at at time, and which ended naturally upon the mangaka's wishes, ended because it was a fAiLuRe iN tErMs oF sAlEs tOwArDs tHe eNd.

LOL, not even close. Demon Slayer sold better than One Piece in 2 years in which it released 3 volumes against 20+ boosted ones from the anime's popularity.

One Piece has nearly 500 million copies sold as of now, while Kimetsu no Yaiba has 150 million.

Even comparing the first 23 volumes of One Piece with Kimetsu's 23 volumes total, One Piece still sold more per volume than it (despite selling less per volume as time went on, like any manga ever usually does).

All of this claims are wrong though? DS obliterated OP on a per volume basis throughout 2020 and 2021, it obliterated its all-time record of best selling individual volume from 2011, and one look at its first prints will tell you 2011-2012 was far and away One Piece's peak, so nothing from its early years will compare to DS either.

One Piece #61 sold 3,382,588 in 2011, but DS #23 sold ~5,816,000+ in 2021 (5,171,440 from regular edition, plus 645,000+ from the limited edition's first month - unfortunately didn't make yearly to be precise on its YTD).

Yeah, OP has way more copies overall, but that's also on over 4 times the volumes. And 500M is a worldwide number whereas DS' 150 is japanese only (OP's latest jp number was 400M).

Even if you want to go the "its early volumes will have higher LTD" route, just some simple math will tell you that it's factually not possible. Since the latest volumes are still getting 3M first prints, and a ton of the middle ones ard 60s were getting more, some way more (peaking at over 4M first print), knowing its japanese average only adds up to ~4M per volume, there simply isn't the room for the early OP volumes to match DS' ridicolous average.

And before I have to hear about digital, we know DS' average will far, far outpace OP's given that DS was stated to be the highest digital series for shueisha last year (and this time, no, I don't mean on a per volume average, but overall; OP comes in third, with Kingdom at second).

I suggest you atleast check the numbers before making these claims.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:24 am Reply with quote
PseudoFiction wrote:
Man... I'd love to known what the main story of One Piece is, since every arc give 50 new characters to remember then mostly discarded when they move to the next island.

Tell me you don't watch/read One Piece without telling me you don't watch/read One Piece lol
Unculturedman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:30 am Reply with quote
[quote="KarlFranz"]
MaxSouth wrote:
Mushrinku wrote:

KarlFranz wrote:

Just because you mention a character at some point in your story and then that character show up as the final boss isn't good writing or foreshadowing. The fact is that Kaguya has no barring on the themes of the story, she doesn't represented anything wrong with the world that the characters have to overcome, she is just a big bad that show up at the end and then got defeated. In fact, most of the theme in Naruto got discarded as the series went along to make way for more powerup. How can you plan out a story and forget what your story even about in the first place?

I agree with the Kaguya point. Terrible character and has no place in the story. However, he didn’t forget what it was about. Many people just have an incredible misunderstanding for what it was about since the beginning.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:38 pm Reply with quote
JonDoe wrote:

What rock have you been living under if you seriously have to ask if Demon Slayer ended because of bad sales? The manga sold 150 million copies. It's monumental success has been very well documented and everything.

Like "The Not So Chosen One" guy said earlier. I also hope you're just a troll, rather than someone who is just horribly out of touch with reality.

It looks like you are a troll. I did not read the manga and did not watch the anime, so I asked a question with options being either poor sales or the author's intent, and commentators who are not trolls replied sanely.

Quote:
And there's definitely been plenty of Shonen that suffered a serious drop in quality because they ran for far too long. Naruto being one of them.

As to Naruto, it is absurd to claim it was dragged out since ever since Akatsuki gang with Zensu has appeared, there was no expansion of the scope. The project have dealt with every gang member and explained the Zetsu thing and the whole origin of the universe's magic, and that is it, the manga has ended without introducing any new concepts other than those that were indicated way over ten years prior to the manga's end.

And the quality of the writing in the manga was just as meticulous in the end as it was in any year prior.

There are disputes in terms of the quality of the author's drawings towards the end versus its beginning, but I personally did not find it something out of this world either way, so I can not comment.

Unculturedman wrote:
I agree with the Kaguya point. Terrible character and has no place in the story. However, he didn’t forget what it was about. Many people just have an incredible misunderstanding for what it was about since the beginning.

No one has to like or dislike this or any other characters, but it does not mean this specific one, Kaguya, has no place in the story. There is no way to explain Zetsu and the other stuff from the project without her.
SpiritSmoocher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I am hearing a lot of talk about DS vs OP and I would like to add my opinion. We are in a period now of always a new hype show that looks amazing that will without a doubt get a lot of viewership. Granted if you are in weekly shonen jump, the top magazine in Japan, and a battle shonen, let's be honest you will probably get a full adaptation.

The thing people don't seem to recognize is that just because a brand new series gets high viewership doesn't mean it will be successful enough to get greenlit more seasons. Especially now with them churning out too many shows. Every long running series will struggle against newer shows, look at Toaru, madoka, SAO (relatively), Gundam

Streaming significantly impacted disc sales meaning your series needs to perform well in merch. Universal Century Gundam and Cosmic Era had arguably higher viewership comparable Demon Slayer today but also very clever merchandise meaning in the long run, they will 100% be more profitable than almost every single anime. Nowadays, Gundam is considered dead, especially in the west in terms of viewership. Yet it still had a long successful run, that can rake in money for a long time.

What matters in the long run is are you a successful long running franchise.
danpmss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:25 pm Reply with quote
RandomCommenter wrote:
danpmss wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:

All of this claims are wrong though? DS obliterated OP on a per volume basis throughout 2020 and 2021, it obliterated its all-time record of best selling individual volume from 2011, and one look at its first prints will tell you 2011-2012 was far and away One Piece's peak, so nothing from its early years will compare to DS either.

One Piece #61 sold 3,382,588 in 2011, but DS #23 sold ~5,816,000+ in 2021 (5,171,440 from regular edition, plus 645,000+ from the limited edition's first month - unfortunately didn't make yearly to be precise on its YTD).

Yeah, OP has way more copies overall, but that's also on over 4 times the volumes. And 500M is a worldwide number whereas DS' 150 is japanese only (OP's latest jp number was 400M).

Even if you want to go the "its early volumes will have higher LTD" route, just some simple math will tell you that it's factually not possible. Since the latest volumes are still getting 3M first prints, and a ton of the middle ones ard 60s were getting more, some way more (peaking at over 4M first print), knowing its japanese average only adds up to ~4M per volume, there simply isn't the room for the early OP volumes to match DS' ridicolous average.

And before I have to hear about digital, we know DS' average will far, far outpace OP's given that DS was stated to be the highest digital series for shueisha last year (and this time, no, I don't mean on a per volume average, but overall; OP comes in third, with Kingdom at second).

I suggest you atleast check the numbers before making these claims.

Let's go with some hard evidence then, shall we?

1- "DS obliterated OP on a per volume basis throughout 2020 and 2021""

And only then, you just repeated what I just said. The per volume basis for One Piece is 4.8 million per volume because it evens out as the number of sales per volume of any manga decrease with time, as not everyone will continuing collecting more and more volumes as time go on (exceptions being, for example, final volumes like Kimetsu's, which included 14 more pages for the final chapter and 25 pages worth of extras, and the limited volumes coming with figures, and those sell like water, which could have sld more than previous volumes because of it). The overall average of sales do not correspond to the number of previously sold volumes at all.

2- "it obliterated its all-time record of best selling individual volume from 2011, and one look at its first prints will tell you 2011-2012 was far and away One Piece's peak, so nothing from its early years will compare to DS either."

That's a moot point. Kimetsu is shorter, ended and had a spike in sales in one single swoop. One Piece had a boost in sales because of backlogging interest during the timeskip, which had a month hiatus in between, and several people decided to catch up. Kimetsu doesn't necessarily break any One Piece numbers just because it sold 23 boosted volumes in massive numbers at once, it just means it broke the record of numbers sold in a year for a single manga series, understandably so.

3- "Yeah, OP has way more copies overall, but that's also on over 4 times the volumes. And 500M is a worldwide number whereas DS' 150 is japanese only (OP's latest jp number was 400M)"

One, it just confirms my point, it has not surpassed One Piece in number of sales, neither in Japan, nor worldwide, if you really THINK manga sells as well worldwide than inside Japan just because the population is bigger compared to one single country. You vastly overestimate worldwide manga sales if you think that's the case.

Two, the 150 million are a cumulative total, it includes digital and worldwide numbers, much like the One Piece numbers around that same time (also, for the both of them, that doesn't even mean actually sold numbers when talking about physical copies, just number printed and in circulation):

https://nendai-ryuukou.com/article/058.html (a tad bit outdated, but just to serve as an example of when it Kimetsu got announced to have circulated a cumulative amount of 120 million, it's right there with the announced worldwide number for OP.)
https://natalie.mu/comic/news/416305 (case in point, explicitly stated, "累計" 1億5000万部)

Three, considering that One Piece is the best selling manga of all time and only has 80 million copies sold compared to how well it does in Japan, you can make a wild guess of the percentage Kimetsu sold worldwide from that (and it's not like One Piece is an exception, take a look at all the best sellers in the list, the worldwide sales are usually not as big as in Japan, safe for some very specific manga titles, like for example WataMote).
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-02-28/icv2-report-u.s-manga-sales-more-than-doubled-in-2021/.183103

The latest report in for the sales of all volumes of Kimetsu in the US alone is 2.259.000 units sold in total as of 2022 at best (report regarding total 2021 sales is 1,586,009, that plus the sum of the previous 2 years get you the number), and it wasn't even a best seller (MHA had higher numbers).
https://www.comicsbeat.com/looking-at-npd-bookscan-2021-and-its-a-doozy/ (check out the sales for 2019 and 2020 in this same site, under Gotouge).

4- "One Piece #61 sold 3,382,588 in 2011, but DS #23 sold ~5,816,000+ in 2021 (5,171,440 from regular edition, plus 645,000+ from the limited edition's first month - unfortunately didn't make yearly to be precise on its YTD)."

Irrelevant as previously stated. It just means Demon Slayer volume 23 sold more in 2021 than One Piece volume 61 sold in 2011. The previous volumes of the One Piece manga vastly surpass that much even in the new averages per volume including all the ever decreasing 100 volumes sales, what even is the point you are trying to make?

The number of total sales of the first volume of Kimetsu no Yaiba arguably sold more than any other volume of the series in an overview (perhaps except for volume 23, because of aforementioned extras included in both regular and limited editions, which couldn't be read in the magazine). The number of sales for the highest seller in a given year means nothing, just that in the series' strongest year (as per in cumulative sales including all volumes that far in), it sold the most, period (doesn't even mean it sold more than any previous volumes, and in fact, that's almost always not the case).

5- "Even if you want to go the "its early volumes will have higher LTD" route, just some simple math will tell you that it's factually not possible. Since the latest volumes are still getting 3M first prints, and a ton of the middle ones ard 60s were getting more, some way more (peaking at over 4M first print), knowing its japanese average only adds up to ~4M per volume, there simply isn't the room for the early OP volumes to match DS' ridicolous average."

Factually not possible? What the hell are you talking about? LOL

The sales are cumulative per volume. try summing every single sale per year since Kimetsu started, and then applying the boost. the numbers either even out or will be higher, with few exceptions. Several fans in Japan already had bought up to the volume released before the boost in sales, the boost doesn't invalidate it just because some of the newer volumes would obviously sell more because of the people catching up summed with the people who already had bought the previous volumes and wouldn't normally buy them twice.

Example:
V1 sells X in 2016, Y in 2017, Z in 2018, 680,787 in 2019, 3,703,309 in 2020, and another 1M or so in 2021
V17 sells 926,446 in 2019, 3,469,660 in 2020 and another 1M or so in 2021
V18 sells 4,393,137 in 2020 and 1,157,633 in 2021
V23 sells 5,171,440 in 2021

See the issue with your argument? You ignore everything that came before what you are even trying to point out as "Facts" mathematically (Which by all means is wrong, and I can prove it with "simple math" and evidence).
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-11-27/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-volume-2019/.153762
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-11-29/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-volume-2020/.166844
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-11-28/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-volume-2021-demon-slayer-finale-sells-record-5.17-million/.180076

For One Piece volumes, each time there was a boost in sales, the first volumes have been bought a whole lot much like it happened with Kimetsu, for the last 25 YEARS.
So you would have to sum what they all sold in boosted sales from at least 2002 (back when Arabasta ended precisely at volume 23, coincidentally, which also marked the beginning of One Piece becoming a phenomenon (around 80k million sales/3.47 million average per volume for starters, and just for 1-23, which only escalated further up in the next with each popularity boost from 2003-2021 .
https://preview.redd.it/s6nkunm9zo281.png?width=2001&format=png&auto=webp&s=d6f5825fdf70e6caa8b842f0873e543a49ea0b10

It should be more than clear that including the major boost in sales in 2011 (which naturally also adds a lot to volume 1-23 sales), it's more than safe to say that, given the amount of volumes sold per volume and their nature to escalate up every volume sales going backwards, that One Piece average volume sales for 1-23 has long been higher than Kimetsu's, the sole difference is that Kimetsu ended and boosted its sales all in one go, while One Piece boosted them through backlog over 20 years of big and small boost periodic boosts. I'm not even counting the vast number of volumes One Piece has in comparison to it, just the first 23.

https://preview.redd.it/chvr9hdkyn281.png?width=1233&format=png&auto=webp&s=58d0b85279eeb52f3ec5b6f3555abd0d9158eb63.

6- "And before I have to hear about digital, we know DS' average will far, far outpace OP's given that DS was stated to be the highest digital series for shueisha last year (and this time, no, I don't mean on a per volume average, but overall; OP comes in third, with Kingdom at second)."

The total sales documented include digital sales, as previously stated. They are already there, and even disconsidering One Piece's digital sales ever since 2010 if you are going just for the Oricon numbers for the boosts (which only include physical, and is from where you are getting your numbers for both), One Piece has been at least top 2 up to recently from 2010-2018 in digital manga sales. You are comparing 3 years of highly boosted sales to 25 years of progressively higher sales, keep in mind the details, and try searching for the digital sales for One Piece in the previous years before spouting bullcrap (big thing that Kimetsu was on top for a year in digital sales, when One Piece is either in second or first every year before, and third in that very same year).

http://www.onepiecepodcast.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Screen-Shot-2015-11-29-at-10.36.05-PM1.jpg
http://www.onepiecepodcast.com/2015/01/23/one-piece-second-most-sold-shueisha-digital-manga/

7- "I suggest you atleast check the numbers before making these claims."

I suppose that's when you double-check the numbers and source counterarguments yourself, you are the one lacking research and have no idea what you are talking about.

For some further analytics and explanations on how sales progressions even work for One Piece, I do recommend reading this thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/OnePiece/comments/r5lveu/the_big_one_piece_manga_sales_and_total/

Kimetsu also began its boost in an extremely convenient timing with the early stages of the pandemic, it's surprise to no one it would explode in popularity like that after a bombastic anime adaptation by Ufotable; before that, it was actually quite the underappreciated manga with sales that barely had more than 160k physical copies per volume until the trailer dropped and it began increasing more and more ever since, if you search the Japanese Comic Sales listed in this very site under "News":
manga#20224
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Mushrinku wrote:
If you believe kaguya wasn't invented on the spot at the end of naruto I'm afraid you're extremely delusional.

Are you basing this assertion on opinion or fact cause howeever you look at it anyone can easily make the same argument that Madara being revealed as the true mastermind behind Akatsuki was also an asspull.

Cause as I remember when reading part 1 everyone just assumed Orochimaru would be the final boss and then by part 2 Pain….and then here comes Obito who was following Madara’s plan which he co-opted as his own even going so far as to pretend to be Madara. And then it’s revealed this was all actually Kaguya’s plan but with an unforeseen aspect. No one but her and Zetsu truly knew about.

It is debatable yes whether or not Kishimoto always intended to physically introduce Kaguya in the series and where he ultimately did. But again she didn’t just get made up on the spot in the midst of the final arc nor was she introduced because Kishimoto needed a way out of the situation with Madara (which I need to reiterate) makes zero sense.

KarlFranz wrote:

How can you plan out a story and forget what your story even about in the first place?

Naruto’s story at it’s base is about an obnoxious, loud mouth, and looked down upon orphan wanting to earn the respect of his peers and become the leader of his village….did Naruto ultimately not accomplish said goal at the end of the series?

Yes the path there was messy, incoherent, and involved some plot holes, retcons, and other questionable writing aspects but that does wind up happening in the end doesn’t it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3