• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan The Final Season Anime's 'Conclusion' to Air in 2023

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:18 pm Reply with quote
At this point, this anime consists of 6 seasons, let's be honest.

On the one hand, at least they're not gonna end this show with a movie, so I'm very happy about that not being the case.

On the other hand, marketing this season as "The Final Season" and being composed of three parts already is unbelievably stupid coming from MAPPA; season 4 should just be "Season 4" from the beginning, not having that "Final" gimmick if it was gonna be this dragged out (and I don't care how many people get triggered and defend their respective productions by saying tHeN jUsT wAiT oR dOn't WaTcH iT tHeYrE nOt yOuR bItCh iTs nOt tHeIr FaUlT). Like, I don't see a problem milking this franchise (lord knows other franchises of lesser qualities get milked as much if not more), but couple this with the bullshit delay for Stone Ocean (I don't care they're from different production houses), and this tendency of dividing seasons into parts is as annoying and disrespectful to their audiences as having them being movies between TV seasons after all.

Connor Dino wrote:
Also just going to go on record and say that the ending of AOT is pretty okay. Now when the manga was finishing and people had legitimate criticisms, I was appreciative of their perspective. Unfortunately, I have since changed my mind after seeing the discourse via the anime. It appears that the reason people hate AOTs ending it because they hate how the characters are trying to stop the genocide of billions of innocent people. They are people who think Eren is a super-chad, edge-lord, badass, that Floch is based (and not a fascist) and the rest of the characters are "cringevengers" (???????). I would say more but the spoiler tag is giving me problems on mobile...so whatever. Just really dissapointed by the lack of good faith criticism from the 12-18 year old age grou-.....oh wait I now see the problem. Very Happy

Looking forward to this!

You know, if you're gonna base your opinion of media on said media's fandom's response, then I think you should refrain from consuming media overall, because it says more about your level of maturity than the "12-18 year old age group"'s one, and it just shows that you can't form an opinion of your own.

Also, I've never read the term "cringevengers" until you mentioned it here, so...
25thchestnut

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I don’t know if this is an unpopular opinion, but I’m glad that the peak of the “final season of Attack on Titan” hype was during the Marley arc. I think the political messaging, character writing, and thematic cohesiveness of the series was strongest during the 2021 season, despite the production values just scraping by.

Between dragging out the “final season” over three years and the mixed reaction to the manga ending, it’s a bit sad to see a great series fizzle out like this with such poor planning by the anime production committee instead of going out with a bang — but I’m just happy that the strongest parts of the series got the attention and positive reception it deserved during part 1 of the “final season”.
kurichan69

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:23 pm Reply with quote
This is the announcement I've been expecting since Part 2 started airing. Someone had postulated that the series would end with a movie and suddenly it became canon instead of opinion. Seeing the pacing of the episodes made it obvious there would be a Part 3 because ending with a movie just doesn't make sense. I don't know why so many people really believed it would happen and I especially don't understand why they would WANT it to happen, given the number of chapters left in the manga and the fact that a movie wouldn't be released for 2 years (at least). Movies are supplements, not a way to end a long-running series that's already been completed.

Am I happy that the "final" has been dragged out this long? Of course not. But I am glad to know that we'll get a proper ending even if it's next year. I can wait. And even if I can't, I can just read the manga. Yes, really; it's an option, people.
SP654

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:28 pm Reply with quote
That’s bull Last time we waited part 2 for 9 months, so what part 3 is gonna be more than 9 months this time!?
09jcg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Im glad theyre ending with more episodes as opposed to a movie, but this has been an absolute failure of marketing. I've always thought it was a bit obnoxious how anime lately has been treating split cours as if theyre the same season. Using Mushoku Tensei and 86 as examples, those really should have been season 1 and 2. There was enough narrative differences, character changes, changes in location, and a gap between release to justify them being different seasons.

AoT the "Final" Season, has taken this to the next extreme, and it comes across as a complete joke. People were going to watch it, even without the "FInal" season tag line. All this does is add to the confusion. I hope the production comittes just stop this. If theres a cour gap between parts, just market it as seasons. Had The FInal Season Part 1 and Part 2 simply been sesons 4 and 5, this would have gone over better.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:03 pm Reply with quote
kurichan69 wrote:
This is the announcement I've been expecting since Part 2 started airing. Someone had postulated that the series would end with a movie and suddenly it became canon instead of opinion. Seeing the pacing of the episodes made it obvious there would be a Part 3 because ending with a movie just doesn't make sense. I don't know why so many people really believed it would happen and I especially don't understand why they would WANT it to happen, given the number of chapters left in the manga and the fact that a movie wouldn't be released for 2 years (at least). Movies are supplements, not a way to end a long-running series that's already been completed.

Am I happy that the "final" has been dragged out this long? Of course not. But I am glad to know that we'll get a proper ending even if it's next year. I can wait. And even if I can't, I can just read the manga. Yes, really; it's an option, people.

Yeah, I didn't get how that rumour started either. Suddenly, a lot of "reliable leakers" on Twitter passed that rumour as a fact and half the fandom made peace with it just because they said that, when in reality the inly thing confirmed by then was the last episode's delay.
garfield15

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:09 pm Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
Using Mushoku Tensei and 86 as examples, those really should have been season 1 and 2. There was enough narrative differences, character changes, changes in location, and a gap between release to justify them being different seasons.

In those cases, the whole season was being worked on and was announced as 26 episodes from the start split in half. This was before each respective show even aired (MT did have a delay for S1P2 admittedly but that wasn't part of the production). This is different from AoT's "final season" because they likely didn't even know how many episodes they needed to do. In fac, I was surprised they called it "The Final Season" when they first announced it because the manga was like a year away from ending and I was like "Wait, do they already know how many episodes they need?" I thought they may have been working with the mangaka to pace out the story like Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood did but nope.
Derpinat0rz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:09 pm Reply with quote
AOE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!
Dynamo-

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:10 pm Reply with quote
This is like Gintama but not funny. I’m just going to hold off watching anymore till the final final real final season is done.
JintoLin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Obviously, they've been taking their cues from "The Walking Dead".
09jcg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:21 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
09jcg wrote:
Using Mushoku Tensei and 86 as examples, those really should have been season 1 and 2. There was enough narrative differences, character changes, changes in location, and a gap between release to justify them being different seasons.

In those cases, the whole season was being worked on and was announced as 26 episodes from the start split in half. This was before each respective show even aired (MT did have a delay for S1P2 admittedly but that wasn't part of the production).
I'm aware, but thats a distinction without a difference as far as im concerned. The gap between the parts was large enough that they make more sense as two seasons; you would also avoid the false indignation among fanbases when someone refers to a part as a season. If you announce that youre making a 23 episode season split in half, just announce youre making 2 seasons of anime.

Quote:
This is different from AoT's "final season" because they likely didn't even know how many episodes they needed to do. In fac, I was surprised they called it "The Final Season" when they first announced it because the manga was like a year away from ending and I was like "Wait, do they already know how many episodes they need?" I thought they may have been working with the mangaka to pace out the story like Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood did but nope.
Maybe, though I have a hard time believing that they wouldnt know how many episodes they needed. Maybe not an exact count, but when Part 1 was announced with 16 episodes, everyone knew it wasnt enough. Same when cour 2 was announced
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Earth has experienced 10 changes in seasonal weather since the final 'season' of AOT started airing

Last edited by Gasero on Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:41 pm Reply with quote
This has got to be the longest Final Season of an anime I've ever seen...
ssjokg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Connor Dino wrote:
It appears that the reason people hate AOTs ending it because they hate how the characters are trying to stop the genocide of billions of innocent people. They are people who think Eren is a super-chad, edge-lord, badass, that Floch is based (and not a fascist) and the rest of the characters are "cringevengers" (???????). I would say more but the spoiler tag is giving me problems on mobile...so whatever. Just really dissapointed by the lack of good faith criticism from the 12-18 year old age grou-.....oh wait I now see the problem. Very Happy

Looking forward to this!
I hate the ending and I really didn't care if Eren succeeded or failed. It was badly written either way.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:19 pm Reply with quote
While it would have been nice for the Final Season to just be one whole part, instead of 3 separate cours. I do like how this means the last episode will air 10 years after the first episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5