• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's Anime Content Heads to Crunchyroll

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:20 am Reply with quote
I guess it's not altogether unsurprising, especially with Crunchyroll's brand recognition.

So there isn't really any point in keeping a Funimation subscription moving forward.
Farhanawesome wrote:
So, what does this mean for Funimation and Crunchyroll's future simuldubs and its staff ? Funimation already had plan to license Love After World Domination and FUUTO P.I in spring and summer. also will CR undubbed anime will have a chance of getting an english dub ?

Yeah, I wonder what this means dub-wise given the amount of anime Funimation dubbed. Like, will they and the studios they outsource too also be dubbing a good deal of anime that end up on Crunchyroll with the occasional seasonal LA dubs that Crunchyroll was still doing?
skv12

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:21 am Reply with quote
AnimeFan617 wrote:
Erufailon4 wrote:
Press release wrote:
In addition to consolidation of SVOD services, Sony-owned Funimation Global Group, LLC will now operate as Crunchyroll, LLC and has initiated rebranding across its global footprint to solidify Crunchyroll as the single, global brand for anime.

Looks like they really are phasing out Funimation as a brand. Huh.

Where is the link that states this? I'm unable to find it.

From the Official Crunchyroll Blog
https://help.crunchyroll.com/hc/en-us/articles/4495938340500-Anime-Fans-Win-as-Funimation-Global-Group-Content-Moves-to-Crunchyroll-Starting-Today-
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:25 am Reply with quote
SUPER_METR0lD wrote:
Sigh...they really need to fix the Crunchyroll app on Apple TV. It logs you out of the service like once a week, so you have to constantly re-log in. I also just renewed my Funimation subscription like a week ago for a year...

same issue on the FireTV app plus I've seen there's still bad buffering issues on that app
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Madster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:29 am Reply with quote
This might sound dumb, but all I wanna know is...

Are they gonna continue Crunchyroll Originals now that they're sticking with the CR branding?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:32 am Reply with quote
Madster wrote:
This might sound dumb, but all I wanna know is...

Are they gonna continue Crunchyroll Originals now that they're sticking with the CR branding?

That’s a very good question. I know Sony will likely want to keep those production committee appointments but the Originals line has to be dead in the water. Except Shenmue, they’re all considered unmitigated failures. This website had an article about their near constant missteps.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:37 am Reply with quote
I am very glad Funimation choose the Crunchyroll brand. I assume going forward Funimation will just dub and release anime on disc.
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:39 am Reply with quote
SUPER_METR0lD wrote:
Sigh...they really need to fix the Crunchyroll app on Apple TV. It logs you out of the service like once a week, so you have to constantly re-log in. I also just renewed my Funimation subscription like a week ago for a year...

Edit: Just noticed that my Funimation subscription actually renews on March 5th, so I just barely made it without the renewal! That like perfect timing. My only issue now is that I had the preferred pricing model on Funimation, which was only $60 a year. I assume that's just gone now with the move to Crunchyroll...

I am pretty sure regardless.... that if it already renewed.. they would refund the payment here in the next month or 2 as they are in the middle of moving everything.. so all that would come along and fix itself over time.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:39 am Reply with quote
Although I didn't see this explicitly stated, I have to wonder if this is a situation where the entity that used to be Funimation is going to strictly deal with the physical release side, while Crunchyroll does the streaming side. Given how erratic CR always has been about physical releases, and how CR's player is better and its site is generally better-organized, I'd see that as an improvement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
macloud

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:40 am Reply with quote
Erufailon4 wrote:
Press release wrote:
In addition to consolidation of SVOD services, Sony-owned Funimation Global Group, LLC will now operate as Crunchyroll, LLC and has initiated rebranding across its global footprint to solidify Crunchyroll as the single, global brand for anime.

Looks like they really are phasing out Funimation as a brand. Huh.

I can see Funi UK being less than impressed about this - First they had to
Rebrand to Funi uk from Manga entertainment, and now they've got to rebrand all over again to Crunchryroll?
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:40 am Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
I am very glad Funimation choose the Crunchyroll brand. I assume going forward Funimation will just dub and release anime on disc.

They probably be like how Viz is... But no ALL Dubs will go to Crunchyroll... Funi will most likely be the owners and be dubbing and doing the discs and all there videos will go to Crunchyroll.
AnimeFan617
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:41 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Although I didn't see this explicitly stated, I have to wonder if this is a situation where the entity that used to be Funimation is going to strictly deal with the physical release side, while Crunchyroll does the streaming side. Given how erratic CR always has been about physical releases, and how CR's player is better and its site is generally better-organized, I'd see that as an improvement.

My thoughts exactly!
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:44 am Reply with quote
Well, I wasn't expecting the FAQ to be quite so clear as to basically say to go ahead and cancel your Funimation subscription. I'm going to check on when mine renews since I think it cuts it pretty close, but it looks like I'll be taking them up on that. Or I might switch to monthly to wrap up any ongoing shows

I suppose it doesn't really matter which one stayed, but I can believe the Crunchyroll was the more viable of the two. It's a bit of a bummer to see the Funimation brand itself phasing out, but aside from that, I doubt much will change. The content will still be there, physical production will almost certainly carry on the way Funimation handled it, and I have to assume that dubbing will predominantly be done in Texas. Although with the sheer amount they will have, it stands to reason we'll still get a decent number of LA dubs, especially since remote recording did slow things down overall.

I suppose there is a little bit of irony here since I would see things like Youtube videos about how "Funimation was buying Crunchyroll" despite it being Sony, and the surviving brand ended up being Crunchyroll.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:45 am Reply with quote
Does this mean CR are calling the shots now? If they are I may consider resubscribing, but if Dallas is still in charge I'm not touching it whatsoever. Dallas pissing over us Aussie fans still has a sour taste in my mouth...
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:48 am Reply with quote
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
Does this mean CR are calling the shots now? If they are I may consider resubscribing, but if Dallas is still in charge I'm not touching it whatsoever. Dallas pissing over us Aussie fans still has a sour taste in my mouth...

Funimation and Crunchyroll are now OWNED by SONY.... SO yeah it will be impossible to say that Dallas is going to call the shots when Sony now owns Both companies... Regardless There will still be license restrictions when it comes to what country gets what.
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:48 am Reply with quote
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:

Well to be more exact Sony is calling the shots and Sony simply decided that CR has a stronger brand name then funi i would presume else it would have been the other way around.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 13