• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Live-Action One Piece Series Begins Filming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GNPixie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I think they could get away with playing around with good camera shenigans for Luffy up until a certain point. That is of course, assuming they thought about that doing it that way.

ChrisKris wrote:
Some people's just doesn't learn.
Gunnm (for those who doesn't know this title. Alita, Battle Angel.)

Alita was great though, as was the Speed Racer movie. Just because there's some stinkers doesn't mean everything's awful. Besides, it doesn't ruin anything. The original products still exist.

Cutiebunny wrote:
Call me when Netflix decides to make a live action version of Sailor Moon. I'm looking forward to a reboot of the disaster that is Sailor Luna Very Happy

I mean, the Toei show just expanded on the first stretch and never went farther than that. I could see the same happening for a modern take.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:50 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
No one except Marvel Studios could have the devotion and love for an outlandish work of fantasy required to make a live-action One Piece work.

That seems a bit ironic given Marvel Studios is also guilty of doing the same thing people accuse live-action anime adaptions of doing to comic books.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:55 pm Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:
I mean, the Toei show just expanded on the first stretch and never went farther than that. I could see the same happening for a modern take.

I felt a lot of PGSM's 'additions' were unnecessary. Dark Mercury was not needed. And, minus selling more toys to the small kiddos watching it, Sailor Luna was not needed.

I also don't know if I want to see how Netflix will localize it. If Glitter Force is any indication, the localization will do away with Rei working at the Hikawa Shrine in lieu of something more Americanized, such as her working at Grandpa Hino's day care center.

...on second thought...I might watch that lol
vampiyan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:14 am Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:
Alita was great though, as was the Speed Racer movie. Just because there's some stinkers doesn't mean everything's awful. Besides, it doesn't ruin anything. The original products still exist.

Never saw Alita, but Speed Racer wasn't really anything like the anime it was based on and just some weird Americanized cyberpunk spin on it. I wouldn't call it "great".
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:01 am Reply with quote
I cannot see this as being anything other than an unmitigated disaster waiting to happen

KitKat1721 wrote:
Blazaking wrote:
When will they stop trying to make live action anime?

Or at least choose properties that makes sense to adapt into live-action. One Piece is pretty much towards the bottom of the list for so many reasons.

Cowboy Bebop was basically a top of the list slam dunk for a choice for live-action for years and that got completely messed up (Death Note as well). Before those, I would have agreed with you. Now I just think any Western live-action coming out these days is doomed. Especially if it's coming from Netflix
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:20 am Reply with quote
Is this community being that overly cynical already? Rolling Eyes
pikrodafni

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:40 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I see they're going with the "make it realistic to appeal to the common audience" thing that's never, ever worked for any adaptation of an animated thing before.

Whatever. I'm not going to watch it unless I hear surprisingly kind reviews. That method worked for me with the Netflix Bebop.

Wait, from where exactly did you get that they're going for a realistic approach?Cause I don't think they have hinted at anything as of yet.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:46 am Reply with quote
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:47 am Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
Blazaking wrote:

Or at least choose properties that makes sense to adapt into live-action.

Cowboy Bebop was one such property, and they managed to screw it up spectacularly. I'd been actually really optimistic about that one, approved a lot of things about it as seen in previews/promos, I didn't mind the changes to characters/costumes/stories/etc... ...and then I watched the actual show. I'm still boggling about how they could get all of it so wrong.

At this point I've given up hope. Either the adaptation is the product of someone who doesn't know what they're doing, or they do know what they're doing, it's just that what they're doing sucks.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:18 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

Bebop is still fresh in everyone's minds. Given how many live-action anime adapations are set to come out, and the fact that Alice in Borderland only had the one OVA, Bebop was going to be the tone-setter. And after its one poorly received season that was canceled less than a month after its premiere, I can understand the tone being rather grim for the prospects of other adapations.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:46 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

It's not being cynical; we've already seen the trash Netflix comes up with when they do their live action adaptations, and its latest attempt at a LA adapt of an anime franchise (Cowboy Bebop) got cancelled because of how terrible it was.

At this point, and with NF's track record with live action adapts of anime, people like you already should've known better by now Rolling Eyes
dharlow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:44 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Is this gonna be as awful as the live action Cowboy Bebop?

Much worse Cool
ResistNormal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:54 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Call me when Netflix decides to make a live action version of Sailor Moon. I'm looking forward to a reboot of the disaster that is Sailor Luna Very Happy

Netflix: We changed out there costumes, we felt they were demeaning to women, and now they swear a lot.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:54 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Well, they got further than a lot of people predicted. When the series was first announced in 2017 many expected it to just silently disappear like the announced adaptation of Sword Art Online or the Robotech movie.

I want this to be good, I really do (because if this series is successful it will make One Piece a household name in the US in a way the anime failed to do due to its unfortunate circumstances surrounding its initial release) but after Bebop saying my expectations are low is probably the nicest way to put it.

[loud gasp]

ChrisKris wrote:
Some people's just doesn't learn.

Gunnm (for those who doesn't know this title. Alita, Battle Angel.)
Death Note

People liked Alita though also of all those properties Death Note has been adapted into live action the most so clearly not everyone hates those either.

ChrisKris wrote:
And so I can keep naming all the Live Actions that ruined the Titles.

Um Evolution did in no way damage the IP, nor did Death Note nor did Cowboy Bebop, nor did the LA Attack On Titan film, nor did the Diamond Is Unbreakable LA film…..

Blazaking wrote:

When there’s nothing in any other medium to adapt to live action.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:42 am Reply with quote
Farhanawesome wrote:
The anime/manga which is set in Europe and America, has foreign characters and the setting had a western influence were makes sense to be adapted into a live action as long as the director and staff understand the story material and made it like passion project.like Emma Victorian Romance, Carole & Tuesday, Vinland Saga, Violet Evergarden, LOGH, Banana fish came up in my mind.

Yeah. But at this point, the anime that would get this kind of treatment in the West tend to be the really big ones. Like ones that basically casual fans even know, even if they have not seen it personally.

Funny enough, LOTGH's live action has been in development by a Chinese company for about 4-5 years already. Not sure if they have dropped it or not at this point as it was likely picked up due to the quite obvious resemblance of the Free Nation's Alliance to United States in the story and you know they will jump at the chance to take a jab at the US. Of course, when they read into the story just a little they will be disappointed to find out the the critique is too applicable not just to US Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5