• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Manga Creator Eiichiro Oda: The Story Is in the Final Stage

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MuffinMan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:19 am Reply with quote
Mavado wrote:
The manga has been five years from the end for ten years now...

Wrong. Aside from percentage estimates Oda has only made three remarks about the length of One Piece in years.

First one: Back in 2006 he stated in an interview that his original plans for One Piece was to make it run for 5 years, from 1997 to 2002. At that point he had written the series for 9 years and he did not know how long it will go on. It's also where this "he said that 5 years ago/he said One piece will end in 5 years" bullshit rumour spread from, because people quoted him out of context.

Second one: Why your comment is wrong because 10 years ago (when the timeskip happened) is where Oda stated that the first half of the manga has ended. You possibly quoted him out of context again, just like I don't know how many people...

Third one: 1-2 years ago where he stated that (if things go right) the manga will end in about 5 years. He has repeated that statement in 2020 once more. https://comicbook.com/anime/news/one-piece-manga-ending-5-years-reason-eiichiro-oda/

Aside from that he has made percentage estimates like after ending Dress Rosa with the story being done for 70%. Dress Rosa ended with chapter 800.

MarshalBanana wrote:
He said years ago that the Manga was half way done, anyone remember when he said that?

Yes. Back when the timeskip happened, with Romance Dawn for the new world. The first half of One Piece ended at that point.

Oda will likely aim for 1200 chapters which seems right. The pacing to wrap up everything will be really insane.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:57 am Reply with quote
When the time skip happened, he said he was about halfway through. Double the manga chapter and that's about where we are now. I figured he was just spitballing how much content was left and not that like he had really done the math on it like that.

This will be the end of an era. This is one of the last we put out episodes for multiple years in a row type of shows that was still airing and had traction in the US, isn't it? I know stuff like Detective Conan and Pretty Cure (I think) puts out new episodes every week for years at a time but those were never that popular in the west from my understanding.

I remember watching Naruto and Bleach every week for years in a row and adjusting other things in my life around them like they were a real part of my life. Honestly, being something I saw every week for 5+ years in a row kinda meant they were. I got into anime big in college, so I saw them more often than I saw my favorite cousins, I saw them more often than I saw my immediate family, my parents, etc. I got used to them being in my life in a way that's a lot harder to when the show is like 13-26 episodes and then is off the air for 1-2 years.
Lin Liren

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:52 am Reply with quote
One gets the feeling the sudden “change of plans” from Oda-Sensei’s originally-stated 2025 finale may have been spurred-on by the tragic passing of Berserk’s Author, Miura Kentaro, rest his soul. At a mere 54 years old, still believing he had all the time in the world, Miura-Sensei took things at his own pace, and sadly never saw his vision completed.

This, not to mention the worsening of the COVID pandemic in Japan of late, may have been the long-overdue shock-treatment “wake up call” to Oda-Sensei, reminding him that even he (and every artist on this planet) *won’t* live forever, finally inspiring him to get his act together and *finish* his sprawling saga.

I originally put off reading One piece at Volume 66 six-years ago, not assured there would ever *be* an ending; with a clear finishing-line in sight now, it’s time to restart!
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:25 am Reply with quote
I realize that the notion of One Piece actually ending is absurd and that many will have to see to believe it but you better believe that I will *never* be ready for it and I *will* be an ugly broken emotional mess when we finally reach that point.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Mr VacBob wrote:
khaos1019 wrote:

Let's just get it out of the way. Oda is not going to please everyone. And yes, there will be many who moan about the ending and create tons of content about how the ending sucks and on and on and on...

He did at least promise the One Piece "really exists" and isn't "the real treasure was the friends we made along the way" or something.

Let's hope it doesn't end like Inuyasha, when the treasure turns out to be a nasty thing.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:32 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
Let's hope it doesn't end like Inuyasha, when the treasure turns out to be a nasty thing.

Roger found the One Piece and, according to Oden's memories, it wasn't a nasty thing, but something that made them cry laughing, so...
PseudoFiction

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Oda won't end One Piece until he's found a spot in the story for every single idea he's ever had because I cannot imagine he'll make another series given the sheer number of characters he's created for One Piece.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:49 pm Reply with quote
He sees the live action show and doesn’t want the George RR Martin treatment for his last season. Wink
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:32 pm Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
luisedgarf wrote:

Roger found the One Piece and, according to Oden's memories, it wasn't a nasty thing, but something that made them cry laughing, so...

And they found it "too early" if I remember his comment in Stampede correctly.
getumbuck

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:10 am Reply with quote
I'll believe it, when I see it. They're still way too many plot threads for the series to just end. Heck the characters are still stuck in Wano and the plot hasn't advanced from their for nearly 4 years. I just hope the story actually goes places after the characters are finally out of Wano.
Honeyman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:47 am Reply with quote
Lin Liren wrote:
One gets the feeling the sudden “change of plans” from Oda-Sensei’s originally-stated 2025 finale may have been spurred-on by the tragic passing of Berserk’s Author, Miura Kentaro, rest his soul. At a mere 54 years old, still believing he had all the time in the world, Miura-Sensei took things at his own pace, and sadly never saw his vision completed.

This, not to mention the worsening of the COVID pandemic in Japan of late, may have been the long-overdue shock-treatment “wake up call” to Oda-Sensei, reminding him that even he (and every artist on this planet) *won’t* live forever, finally inspiring him to get his act together and *finish* his sprawling saga.

Its got to have crossed his mind a few times (we know he loves One Piece but thinking about having more time for your own family and being involved in your daughter growing up rather than seeing her only when she visits the studio are just as, if not more so, important). Like many fans I want to see Oda finish the series which I'm sure he will but we should respect that if he's going to finish it in another 3-4 years then so be it (I'm thinking more of readers who provide a timeframe for Oda to wrap up everything in the series which would take him longer of he were to take that approach).

If the end of One Piece turns out to be a child reading a fairy tale next to the fire, then the book closes and it says One Piece on the cover I'd be fine with that. It doesn't negate the 24 years of excellent story, world and characters we've had so far (and the remaining years of similarly great content that are to come).

One Piece made it to vol.100 with vol.101 not so far away. I'm sure Oda has another 15-20 volumes in him and let's enjoy the ride whilst we can.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I think the thing to keep in mind is that "final stage" is a very relative term when it comes to a story of this magnitude. Oda has consistently shorted the time he would need to complete the series, going back at least a decade, and I don't see that changing at this point. That being said, in recent months he's definitely done a lot to set up the true endgame of the story. I think that there are a good 5 years' worth of story left after the conclusion of the Wano arc.
RedSpiegel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I feel that unlike other mangaka, Oda already knows how the story will end which I feel will make the key difference here in whether or know the story will end in a "bad" way. Oda is known to be a perfectionist and he takes special care of his story and characters when crafting the weekly chapters. To the point where he takes frequent breaks, not just for his health but also to go back and re-read his story to make sure that it makes sense and to continue building upon it. So everything he has done so far has had the ending in mind which I feel very organic and (optimistically speaking) will be very satisfying and true to himself and the story as a whole. Given that the ending was developed from the beginning we'll be able to compare it with how the story started. It should, in theory, be something that reflects each other. In any case, I'm not personally interested in the end at this very moment, I'm just enjoying Wano presently with all the mind blowing revelations Oda is giving us. If that is any indication of how the future arcs will be, I can realistically see him ending this in 5 year's time, give or take.
Lann

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:46 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
He said years ago that the Manga was half way done, anyone remember when he said that?

Only 5 years ago wasnt it? The maths dont add up. lol.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:12 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:

"Turns out to be"? Not for a single second did the Shikon jewel give off the vibe that its existence was ever a good thing. Honestly, what you learn about it by the end wasn't really that far of a reach.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3