• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Remove Durarara!!, Silver Spoon, Samurai Flamenco, Wagnaria!!, More Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:06 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:

This. People who believe piracy is due to availability are delusional. (As are people who think it's due to cost.)

Not exclusively no but for the most part yes. Otherwise why else would you need to pirate something that's legally available and affordable where you live?

....Even more so when I've seen people unabashedly admit this.
kurichan69

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 2:45 pm Reply with quote
If anyone cares, Netflix U.S. has the first season and Hulu has both seasons (sub and dub).
kira1000

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully when Durarara leaves Crunchyroll it is put on Animelab-otherwise there's no way to watch it legitimately where I live, like a lot of other anime.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:53 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
This. People who believe piracy is due to availability are delusional. (As are people who think it's due to cost.)

Uhh, pretty sure that piracy in well-served areas like the US is about cost, considering that people come out and say "I don't want to pay for multiple subscriptions," i.e. they expect to get all the anime they want for the typical cost of one subscription. I don't see anyone who refuses to pay $8+$6+$5 a month being willing to pay $19. Also, "I don't want to watch in-video ads on legal sites" = "I don't want to pay a time cost."

It's not about selection or the unavailability of old/obscure/expired-license titles, since the lion's share of views on illegal sites go to the popular/recent titles and evergreen classics that are readily available on one or more legal sites, not the lesser-known and hard-to-find stuff. (Before anyone brings it up: Interspecies Reviewers was a black swan, not the norm, and most who were mad about the minor inconvenience of losing translations ripped from Funi's streams were already pirating it anyway to get the less-censored AT-X version.)

It's not about video quality, since most piracy (for anime from the last decade or so) involves going to bootleg streaming sites and watching lower-quality re-encodes on of videos ripped from legal sites. Even among the small minority that use more traditional piracy avenues like torrents, most downloads go to the straight rips of legal streams.

It's not about subtitle quality/translations, since again most piracy (for anime from the last decade or so) involves watching rips of legal streams, with the exact same translations.

It's not about the convenience factor of "having everything in one place" vs. "going to different websites," since pirates are perfectly willing to go between multiple illegal sites if one has downtime or is missing the content they want. I've never once seen anyone post, "I wanted to check out [title], but [my favorite bootleg site] didn't have it, and going to a different site was too much work, so I decided not to watch it."

It's generally not about censorship, since most views/activity on a given title take place during the broadcast, when the TV-censored version is the only game around. (The only exceptions would be titles that have less-censored versions airing on TV alongside a general-broadcast version that the legal sites get, as opposed to the usual "wait for home video to get the good stuff" pattern.)

It's not entirely about website/UI/UX/player quality -- while legal sites certainly could make improvements in those realms, users of illegal sites have shown a willingness to endure the anti-malware/anti-adblocker arms race, click through CAPTCHAs and verifications between episodes, and keep up with social media and other external sources to track when sites go through downtime/domain changes and discern whether .ru/,to/.me or whatever are real sites or scammers/copycats. In other words, they'll go through hell and high water for that free stuff, but will cite any minor failing of legal sites as a "Service Problem Wink" excuse not to pay.

Other than some dumb culture-war grievances (JJBA stand names, Funimation declining to hire a known sex pest, etc.) what aside from cost is left?

All that above said, my stance is not "you must not pirate anything ever ever," but rather that there's a lot of room for compromise between "pay for everything" and "pay for nothing."
Emufreak

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 5:34 am Reply with quote
This liscensing stuff is utter bullshit, if you are not from the US are mostly out of luck, thats why I have my trusty VPN it allows me to use CR how it is supposed to be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2