• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds The Prince of Tennis Anime Franchise, Including 2021's Game of Future

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:57 am Reply with quote
db999 wrote:
Well, this was unexpected, but it is a welcome surprise. I was really into this show in Middle School, but it did bomb hard in English. I think part of the reason why it failed in America was also because of how it ran on Toonami. I don't know if anyone else remembers this, but they didn't air the show in chronological order, they just decided to skip all-around in the story, like instead of airing episode 1 then 2 then 3 then 4 and so on they would show episode 1 and then they would do episode 5 and then 16 and then 7 and then 2 and then go to episode 20. So it was impossible to follow the story and if you wanted to actually watch it like normal you had to go to the Toonami Jetstream website which I never liked using because the episodes would never play correctly. I eventually just started watching fansubs because it was so annoying. I still can't believe they did that it made no sense, and they also did it with MAR and that was probably why those shows bombed as hard as they did.

There was also the Viz DVD sets which were pretty infamous for having the Japanese openings and endings replaced with the dub version for the episodes despite being dual-audio.
matt78

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:29 am Reply with quote
Does anyone know how Prince of Tennis did in Europe, Australia and New Zealand? I'm wondering if Funimation licensed it not for the US but its potential in the other markets it serves.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:56 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
There was also the Viz DVD sets which were pretty infamous for having the Japanese openings and endings replaced with the dub version for the episodes despite being dual-audio.

I believe people came to the conclusion that the theme song switcheroo happened due to sheer nepotism, as the composer for those dub themes was apparently the son of the producer for the dub.

I'm sure FUNi won't be including the old Viz dub whenever physical box sets start coming out, but I do wish them well with this massive endeavor.
Southkaio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I hope Doug Erholtz, Steve Staley, Sam Riegel et alibi return.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:26 pm Reply with quote
While looking this up I noticed the original TV run had 178 episodes, despite only covering what must have been either 26 or 27 volumes. Does that the show has a lot of filler?
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:01 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
While looking this up I noticed the original TV run had 178 episodes, despite only covering what must have been either 26 or 27 volumes. Does that the show has a lot of filler?

I believe so, with original creator Takeshi Konomi infamously having given the anime staff free reign to do whatever they wanted with any original story they come up with. This would eventually result in what became the "Tezuka Killed the Dinosaurs" meme, as a scene in one of the movies that saw team leader Kunimitsu Tezuka deliver a smash so powerful that the anime staff visually showed it as though it was on the level of the asteroid that resulted in the eventual extinction of the dinosaurs.

While Prince of Tennis does go ridiculously over the top as the story went on in the manga, Konomi still never went THAT over the top, and due to that scenes eventual meme status it unfortunately made many think that Prince of Tennis is nothing but that kind of absurdity.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:45 am Reply with quote
I'm kinda surprised that Funimation got this. I thought Viz originally had this. So why's Funimation doing this now? As you know,"Prince of Tennis" never really completed it's run on Toonami because it's weekend edition disappeared before the show can go anywhere really. On a similar note,you've got to listen to Viz's theme for this show. It's one of the best English anime intros you'll see. It's very good. Trust me on this,you'll like it a lot.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:53 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I'm kinda surprised that Funimation got this. I thought Viz originally had this. So why's Funimation doing this now?

It was speculated elsewhere that it might be a package deal with something else which would make the most sense because look at how long it has been. They did nothing when Crunchyroll was streaming II and also when Daisuki was streaming National Tournament.

Quote:
On a similar note,you've got to listen to Viz's theme for this show. It's one of the best English anime intros you'll see. It's very good. Trust me on this,you'll like it a lot.

It's decent but it had no business on those DVDs as part of the actual episodes.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:10 am Reply with quote
Well,NJ_. I didn't know that. It's a possibility that Funimation made a deal with Viz to show some of their stuff on their streaming sites,including shows that they had in the past. I don't know if that's the case or not but it's as good a theory as any so far. As for the English intro I mentioned,I recommend you see this on YouTube. You'll like it as much as I do. It's got a really rocking theme and it perfectly fits this show. I guarantee,you'll like it as much as I do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2