• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 22 Years 'Til Victory: Pokemon's Ash Finally Wins Big

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crispy45

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
Lycanroc fight was ok but I think Zoroark went down way too easily for how it was hyped up. Honestly kind of felt like the win was handed to him as a condolence for Kalos.

To be fair, Sun and Moon has never been about battles or plot. They focused more on comedy and slice of life than actual fights. The fights were pretty terrible outside two or three. The Alola League itself was hand down the worst league the series has ever done. There was no entry requirements like collecting badges so most of the contestants were newbies and beginners who only had 1 or 2 Pokemon. As a result most of the league was only 1 on 1 battles. Even the finals were only 3 on 3. Not a single Full Battle at all, not that Satoshi could have fought in one considering he only had 5 Pokemon throughout the entirety of the series. It felt more like a Don Battle from Best Wishes where all the characters would enter every few dozen episodes and fight it out to test each other how much they've grown and changed.

gedata wrote:
*pushes up glasses*
ACKSHUALLY
He already won the Orange Island League 20 years ago, but it doesn't count because that arc wasn't based on any existing games.

He also beat the Battle Frontier, which was in the games, and was offered a position as a Frontier Brain.
IanC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I think this makes it more and more likely that the new anime is a completely fresh start.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Kalos was probably the better first victory for Ash than whatever the heck the Aloha League was.
elior1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
Somer-_- wrote:
Lycanroc fight was ok but I think Zoroark went down way too easily for how it was hyped up. Honestly kind of felt like the win was handed to him as a condolence for Kalos.

To be fair, Sun and Moon has never been about battles or plot. They focused more on comedy and slice of life than actual fights. The fights were pretty terrible outside two or three. The Alola League itself was hand down the worst league the series has ever done. There was no entry requirements like collecting badges so most of the contestants were newbies and beginners who only had 1 or 2 Pokemon. As a result most of the league was only 1 on 1 battles. Even the finals were only 3 on 3. Not a single Full Battle at all, not that Satoshi could have fought in one considering he only had 5 Pokemon throughout the entirety of the series. It felt more like a Don Battle from Best Wishes where all the characters would enter every few dozen episodes and fight it out to test each other how much they've grown and changed.

gedata wrote:
*pushes up glasses*
ACKSHUALLY
He already won the Orange Island League 20 years ago, but it doesn't count because that arc wasn't based on any existing games.

He also beat the Battle Frontier, which was in the games, and was offered a position as a Frontier Brain.
actually ash going to have a full battle 6 on 6 against royal mask now that he won the league so maybe he will bring a reserved pokemon to this final match
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Now that Ash Ketchum won a league, hopefully it's the end of him and pikachu.

20+ years of the same characters gets very old and tired after a while.

And hopefully they move back to the good art style, this regions arc was unwatchable because of it.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:41 pm Reply with quote
"It's been 22 years. . . . . . ." - the numerous fans who have had their AZ moment after finding out that Ash managed to win a Pokemon League
1dbad

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:35 pm Reply with quote
An Ash-less main Pokemon anime series has been a dream of mine for YEARS but I had given up all hope of ever seeing one. Even when the rumors of the next anime series dropping him surfaced, I still took a "I'll believe it when I see it" approach to the news. But now...I dunno. It really is starting to feel like a strong possibility.

In any case, I'm glad Sun and Moon ended up being the first Pokemon series I followed since AG. (and my first in Japanese) It was an emotionally satisfying moment, and I'm so relieved I saw the episode before getting on social media. Not being spoiled beforehand made it all the more effective.
spark67

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Are you people out off your mind, taking off Ash is like taking off Goku or Sasae or Conan of theirs series, would´t work , is a stupid reask not real anime fans want. He was co-protagonist in AG with May, also in Sinnoh why Dawn, reseted in Unova, Amazing in XY and reinvented in Alola. They are not going to change Ash, just need to increase the competition level.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:14 pm Reply with quote
If I’m entirely honest, I would be kind of sad to see Ash and Pikachu go and I don’t think Ash deserves as much hate as he gets. Not to mention I would also miss the classic Team Rocket trio. But I think what makes Pokemon different from something like DBZ is we have had a handful of adaptations without Ash in them, so there is that precedent there. Like we had Pokémon Origins, Generations, Chronicles, Detective Pikachu, and the Pokémon Adventures manga. Interestingly Toriyama did originally plan for Gohan to replace Goku as the MC after the Cell Saga but ended up bringing back Goku due to fan demand. I also think even if they replace Ash in the show, they’ll probably still keep him around in the AU movies.
kamen_otaku81

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:18 am Reply with quote
And he still looks the same 22 years ago too. Are we going to talk about that?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:00 am Reply with quote
I have often read the explanation of "If Ash won an official tournament, then the series would end". Uh, considering how they like milking this franchise, I think he could have won more official tournaments more but they could still give him more adventures.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:10 am Reply with quote
Unlike others,I hope they don't get rid of Ash. I like him a lot. I have no idea what they've got planned for Ash next. I'd like to see him go to Galar and explore that place. It wouldn't be the same show without him. Also,I have the feeling that there would be those who'd want to see Misty and Serena get into a pokemon battle over who gets to be Ash's girlfriend. I don't know if it'll happen but it'd be interesting all the same.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:06 am Reply with quote
spark67 wrote:
Are you people out off your mind, taking off Ash is like taking off Goku or Sasae or Conan of theirs series, would´t work , is a stupid reask not real anime fans want. He was co-protagonist in AG with May, also in Sinnoh why Dawn, reseted in Unova, Amazing in XY and reinvented in Alola. They are not going to change Ash, just need to increase the competition level.

There's so much misinformation and lies being spread around. There's been ZERO evidence to say the next series will be a reboot or anything different. Satoshi, Rocket-dan, and Pikachu are all massively popular and yeah it'd be like replacing Conan Edogawa or Son Goku. Not gonna happen. I'd put money on most people who want Satoshi to be replaced don't actually watch the anime. Considering the weird amount of news outlets, sports teams, and even celebrities commenting on how Satoshi won the Alola League when it's clear none of them actually watch the anime either, this is clearly just some weird social media fad and trend going on.

All the news sites and people saying Satoshi is a Pokemon Master now are wrong. A Pokemon Master is an idea of being a strong trainer, not a title. The anime has already established that winning the league does not mean anything and many people already do it. Once you win the league, you earn the right to go on to the Champion League, where you fight the Shitennou and then the region's Pokemon champion. Takuto won the Pokemon League in Diamond & Pearl, and he was immediately defeated in the Champion League. Alola doesn't have a Shitennou, nor a champion, thus no Champion League. This was their establishing league and it's a very easy thing to let Satoshi win since there's no benefit or consequence for him winning. Royal Mask isn't a champion, he's a wrestling celebrity and Satoshi's match against him is basically an exhibition thing. If the series actually did retire Satoshi here, then it would hands down be one of the worst endings to an anime I've ever seen since he'd quit with nothing to show for it.
Doc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:58 am Reply with quote
30 for 30 Tweets:

"After 20 years, 10-year-old Ash Ketchum finally captured his first Pokémon League Championship."

Wait...what? Was he competing for 10 years in his mother's womb?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There's so much misinformation and lies being spread around. There's been ZERO evidence to say the next series will be a reboot or anything different.
It’s called speculation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3