• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation, Right Stuf/Nozomi Ent. Announce Partnership for Anime Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

Does Nozomi even have those rights? Sunrise seems to handle all Gundam streams themselves.
They have a couple of Gundam shows on Crunchyroll but only the AU stuff and 08th MS Team is on Hulu.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:35 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Surprised not to see a mention of Right Stuf's perpetually re-released warhorses: The Irresponsible Captain Tylor, His and Her Circumstances, Ninja Nonsense, etc.

Good point. Perhaps it's a license thing? Thinking about it, the titles mention I think have been streamed before (on youtube), but I don't recall those being streamed.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:47 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Primus wrote:

Does Nozomi even have those rights? Sunrise seems to handle all Gundam streams themselves.
They have a couple of Gundam shows on Crunchyroll but only the AU stuff and 08th MS Team is on Hulu.

Every Gundam show on Crunchyroll is from Sunrise, not Nozomi. Similarly, the Hulu streams are part of the "Sunrise Network." Outside of physical releases, I'm not sure Nozomi has much involvement with Gundam.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:41 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
This was very unexpected news and I wonder what lead Nozomi to partner with Funimation.

I’m going to say that there are two precursors:
FUNi and Nozomi/TRSI have partnered before in that for a long time TRSI handled online sales and warehousing for FUNi product so they have history.
Nozomi used to partner with Manga US for online distribution (YouTube, iTunes and the Manga/Starz apps on smart TVs etc) and this will be a replacement for that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Aphasial
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:30 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
This was very unexpected news and I wonder what lead Nozomi to partner with Funimation. If they include the Utena dub maybe I'll watch more of it as I've only ever seen it subbed besides like one episode dubbed. This will also be a good chance to watch the original Boogiepop after having seen the reboot earlier this year. I've also never seen Yakitate Japan so I'll have to check that out. I hope they can eventually add the Aria dub. Aria is one of my favorites and I would love to see the dub.

I'm not normally a sub v dub snob (especially nowadays), but the Utena dub is particularly bad, even for its time. The actors themself range from okay to great, but the directing is *really* off at times. So much of Utena's story depends on mixed motivations and nuanced duplicity on the part of the characters that the clumsy readings end up actually making it *more* incomprehensible than the original.

Additionally, there was a three year gap between the first story arc and the rest of the series was brought over, during the middle of which they dubbed the movie. The movie's dub was absolutely phenomenal (and I'd actually recommend it), but it seems they were a bit too eager to bring their newfound characterization back when finishing their series performances, leading to some very confusing moments later since the movie is such a twisted version of the series.

There are bright spots here and there, and it does eventually get better, but if there's any '90s classic in dire need of a new dub out there, it's Utena.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2