• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Writer Kinoko Nasu: Fate/Grand Order Story to End After Arc 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
junkozero

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:22 am Reply with quote
Chrizy wrote:
smokeyjoey8 wrote:
It’ll be interesting to see how this game does financially now. I can’t imagine people will be eager to drop cash on it knowing the end is coming now. Sure, Aniplex can keep it going, but hearing the main guy say that he intends to end it could really hurt it over time, causing Aniplex to decide to end service.

It’ll be even more interesting seeing it’s international version after this. Can’t imagine western whales being too thrilled about throwing hundreds or thousands at waifu jpegs when the game could be terminated in a couple years, maybe even sooner.

Honestly, Nasu shouldn’t have been allowed to make this announcement. Wait until it’s actually the end, not a year or so beforehand, otherwise you risk tanking the game.

I'd say little to no impact. The game revolves around the characters. We drop our money in hopes of getting the characters (waifus husubandos lol). The story is just a bonus.

I don't see any reason this game will be terminated in a couple years, based on the fact alone that it is a top earner in both Japan and Worldwide.

Heck they don't even need Nasu actually. The current arc has various writers, most notably Urobutcher.

Nah the story is the driving force behind FGO... The moment you cut that out it dies and they know that. It's what keeps people coming back and joining.
Even Nasu said the innovation is in the story and not really the gameplay itself (and even people who don't play it highlight the story as the main attraction )
You're straight up getting a visual novel with a pretty good story released in manga chapter style FOR FREE...that is so freaking cool I can't even...

Nasu's importance is that he gives the story direction (being the creator of the universe it's in and all)...The story started ramping up in quality and gaining a sense of direction when he took charge of it (more in terms of supervision) at around the London singularity where you can even find stuff foreshadowing some occurrences such as Sion's appearance in Lostbelt and it kept getting better all through Camelot to Babylonia to the first Arc's climax and Lostbelt's been on fire due to just being better planned out in advance than the first thanks to his involvement. If you told me I'd be getting hyped over a mobile game's story 2 years ago I would have sent you to the nearest psyche ward. Point is even though we know a number of scenario writers (mostly writers of other type-moon entries) are involved, his lack of involvement is worrying for some of us.... And he's also clearly trying to make the story bode better with the more hardcore type-moon audience due to complaints of it being a washed down version of their works. Knowing he's been listening to the rest of us TM fans is kinda the most reassuring thing about him breaking from FGO...let the man take a well deserved rest and come back refreshed for his other stuff (please Tsukihime, Mahoyo 2, DDD etc)

You'll see the fall out if the story dips since there really won't be a reason to go back....throw all the waifus and husbandos at people like every other hero collector Gacha game but it won't keep as many invested without the sauce that's the story (heck the characters will straight up become less interesting even)
Mystifire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:43 pm Reply with quote
RavenDaRogue wrote:
Wait, this story is already 2 weeks old. Wasn't he telling people that arc 2 will be the last HE's working on, and not the end of the game?. F/go has at least 4 other writers other than Nasu. They could also ask let's say Urobuchi to write the next arc. Game doubled it revenue this year. You don't kill such a milk cow.

You are indeed correct. This article is making a lot of assumption simply based on Nasu saying that his vision for the story is coming to a close. There's other writers involved who will continue the story after Nasu, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone else was brought along after Nasu leaves.

Also let's be real for a sec. It was just reported that this game was the second most profitable mobile game in Japan last year. They would be god damn fools to stop it now.
#t4bbris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Why is everyone interpreting "the end of the story" as "the end of the game"? Plenty of mobile games have set length main stories, and then a ton of side events that continue on. It just means that if you play enough, you'll reach the end of the main story. I'm sure they'll keep having people write side stories. I mean, I'm pretty sure they have other writers write other stories, like character stories and events, correct?
They don't have to shut down the game just because he finished the main story. Laughing
Hmognas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:28 pm Reply with quote
'Kajita asks if FGO will really end with part 2, and Nasu says that going by the plot he wrote, it is to end with part 2, and that he intends to do everything he can and wants to before it ends. What he is afraid of is players saying that they want to see what happens next- To which Kajita says that he is sure that they will- And Nasu says that would result in FGO depicting what happens “after the end” which is difficult but not impossible. He does say however that this would be like seeing the best ending in Undertale, and then heading towards the worst ending of your own volition. Kajita points out how ending the game with part 2 would leave players with a huge sense of loss, and Nasu says that this is what is what he is aiming for; He wants everyone to feel what he felt when he cleared Final Fantasy IV. He says that he has already communicated everything regarding part 2’s final chapter’s gimmick, plot and ending to the development team and writers, and has obtained their agreement on it, and Aniplex is also on board, with Aniplex CEO Iwakami Atsuhiro having agreed on Type-Moon taking the lead when the project first started. Nasu says that he wants to make a game that will fill players with both a sense of loss and pride, and that it would be wonderful if he could make “something after” in a great form that nobody expects."

This is more implying they want to make FGO2 or some sort, since the core game is outdated.

"Kajita next launches into the core of the interview, saying that while FGO has improved, it feels like something from 2-3 generations ago that is being retrofitted to keep with the times, and that the game system is starting to reach its breaking point, and asks Nasu on his opinion on this. Nasu agrees, saying that after countless revisions, the old system has become something twisted not unlike Kowloon Walled City. The only way to actually fix this would be to break the entire city and rebuild it up from scratch, but an effort of this scale would be impossible to pull off. He says that all they can do now is have players remain interested despite of the game’s flaws, and says that even if the system grows old, they can still keep providing players with basic “gaming joy”."

This is what Nasu said about current FGO

And no, Nasu never said he won't take part beyond lostbelt. That's when the game really death. Just read the whole interview rather than judging from this article alone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2