• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2018 (First Half) [2018-05-31]

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryu 4 Ryu

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:36 am Reply with quote
Connor Dino wrote:
How old are you guys? To those people saying that "there is no way Attack on Titan will surpass One Piece" clearly you do not remember back in 2013 when that exact thing happened. Attack on Titan has beaten One Piece before and it can do it again. Saying it won't lacks an understanding of history.

Lastly, and I always feel like I have to say this, Volume Sales does NOT mean a manga is better than the manga it outsells. Looking at some of your comments, I wonder if you guys understand that.
See that's where you're wrong. One piece only released one new volume in the last 6 months while attack on Titan released two and that 1 new one piece volume almost doubled the sales of each of those attack on Titan volumes. In 2013 one piece sold 18 million while attack on Titan sold 15 million. I think you might have mistaken that for 2014 when in the first half of the year one piece only released one volume and had sales of 4 million and attack on Titan sold 8 million (because of the anime hype) but by the end of the year, both attack on Titan sold 11 million but one piece sold 100k more.
superdome1

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:57 am Reply with quote
Connor Dino wrote:
How old are you guys? To those people saying that "there is no way Attack on Titan will surpass One Piece" clearly you do not remember back in 2013 when that exact thing happened. Attack on Titan has beaten One Piece before and it can do it again. Saying it won't lacks an understanding of history.

Lastly, and I always feel like I have to say this, Volume Sales does NOT mean a manga is better than the manga it outsells. Looking at some of your comments, I wonder if you guys understand that.

Not sure why you’re attacking everyone’s age here rather than just stating your opinion. I think it reflects your own immaturity than the people here. Everyone has been civil and reasonable until you came in. Talk about hypocrisy.

You obviously haven’t looked at the volume sales to notice the dates. Timeframe matters when it comes to the bigger picture. You’re essentially comparing the full sales of 2 volumes of AOT to 1 volume + 10 days for OP. Because numbers are taken from Nov 20th to May 20th, that’s 1,000,000 volumes taken away from OP from early Nov 2017. IF the timeframe was Nov 1st to May 1st instead then OP would be 1,000,000+ over AOT. But because those initial 2 weeks sales are removed from series like OP, TPN, and MHA, their numbers are going to be lower in comparison. It’ll even out at the end of year, which is what matters anyway.

Tbh I don’t see anyone here saying that one is better than the other. I see most people just praising their favorite series for doing well. The only one here getting defensive is you. What is “better” is subjective after all so I’m not sure why you’d use this excuse lol. But either case, you can’t deny that a series that sells a lot of volumes have a higher chance
of continuing and being promoted right? Whether it is better than another or not. Saying that some series might benefit from the dates the numbers are pulled isn’t wrong. It’s simply fact, and if you don’t like that, that’s your problem.
MalaRezzy

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:11 am Reply with quote
Connor Dino wrote:

See the thing is, that was when AoT first got it's anime and everyone took notice of it and jumped on it's popularity and did so well in 2013. Also to note AoT beat One Piece in the half year mark but couldn't finish the job at the end of the year. As for my 2nd point, sequels do not match up with the backlog sales of the first season to an anime, this is actually proven with AoT itself and other series like MHA, SDS, Haikyuu etc. For example MHA when it's first season aired the backlog sales for past volumes were averaging about 20k per week and making it in the top 50 of those weeks. This hasn't happened with season 2 or 3 with it's previous older volumes. As of now they seem to be averaging around 4-8k per week with season 3, my point is even with Season 3 of AoT coming soon it wouldn't receive a boost in sales that's big enough to suprass One Piece. One last thing 2 volumes of AoT were counted in those rankings while One Piece has so far released only 1. One Piece is definitely not losing this fight, esepcially when One Piece does double the amount an AoT volume puts out. It's GG

Last edited by MalaRezzy on Thu May 31, 2018 11:27 am; edited 3 times in total
superdome1

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:18 am Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
superdome1 wrote:
GoldCrusader wrote:
Well if people doubted Black Clover being popular and doing well...there you go lol.

It's awesome seeing Haikyu, MHA and Black Clover doing so well.

It depends on “popular”. Looking at Black Clover’s individual volume sales, it barely enters the top 50, despite having a volume release in December 2017 plus an ongoing anime series. Food Wars still outsells it, it just didn’t have a release in December to compete.
To me, you have to look at both lists to determine popularity. It is doing better than before definitely, but the low volume numbers compared to its competitors are a bit telling at this point.

I mean even with it latest volume out, which would remove around 250k, it would still be in the top 10. Of course a few series in jump outsell it, but It's still a great seller. I'm just happy to see it up there.

We will see by the end of the year how everything shapes up.

Edit: I'm super happy to see that MHA is in the top 5 even with 1 volume less then most. Very cool.

Yes you’re correct. Even with the last volume it would still be top 10. There’s no doubt that it sells enough to be in top 10. I just think it has a way to go to be considered as popular as it was expected to be. I guess for me personally, I had expected it to be doing better individually than it is right now. As it’s a bit lacking on that end. But I do think it’ll be top 9-10 at the end of the year.

And yeah I think it’s pretty good for MHA. If it had that extra 300k+ the chart would be a different story but that should be evened out at the end of the year so it’s all good.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Connor Dino wrote:

Yeah, and the AOT fad has since died down. The ratings for Season 2 weren't extraordinary, and MHA kept beating it in the CrunchyRoll Anime Awards.

Kind of disappointed "The Seven Deadly Sins" is rated so high. I don't know why so many people like that series. The protagonist is a borderline rapist who almost never gets reprimanded for his behavior, and the only one that does (Diana) is only doing it because she's jealous he's not doing it to her. And people keep calling MHA sexist? Speaking of MHA, it's obvious Mineta would have a lot more fangirls if he were a bishonen like Meliodas.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:50 pm Reply with quote
BLack Clover already selling more than it did in overall 2017 sales, is incredible. Backlog sales really complemented the 300-340K per volume sales of newer volumes.

BLack Clover could well be on its way to at least 5mln in 2018 overall.

Food Wars falling off and continuing its decline is sad, its on the Toriko trajectory in its sunsetting days.
superdome1

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
BLack Clover already selling more than it did in overall 2017 sales, is incredible. Backlog sales really complemented the 300-340K per volume sales of newer volumes.

Food Wars falling off and continuing its decline is sad, its on the Toriko trajectory in its sunsetting days.

Food Wars is still outselling volumes individually, even outselling Black Clover. Black Clover actually has an extra volume over Food Wars which were included in these totals. So it’s that much of difference between the falling Food Wars and Black Clover’s volume sales.

I’d say “at least” 5mil is a bit of a stretch. Considering it’s highest selling volume so far is 317k and even with the backlog, I’d say at least 4mil and at most 4.5mil. Tho I guess it could surprise me.
abyssblade

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Connor Dino wrote:

Yeah, and the AOT fad has since died down. The ratings for Season 2 weren't extraordinary, and MHA kept beating it in the CrunchyRoll Anime Awards.

Kind of disappointed "The Seven Deadly Sins" is rated so high. I don't know why so many people like that series. The protagonist is a borderline rapist who almost never gets reprimanded for his behavior, and the only one that does (Diana) is only doing it because she's jealous he's not doing it to her. And people keep calling MHA sexist? Speaking of MHA, it's obvious Mineta would have a lot more fangirls if he were a bishonen like Meliodas.

Its a bit of a stretch to say its a fad, when the manga is still at 2nd place for the most part, and the reason for season 2 decline in sales/popularity is that, the price was too high imo, plus the 4 year wait for 12 episodes and cgi collosal titan also affected it. And even so the 2nd season was still pretty popular.

So my hero acadamia topping snk 12 episode 2nd season is not a big surprise. Lets see if its going to top season 3, which imo will be adapting the best part of the manga, plus its going to be 24 episodes so it will have a longer lasting memory in fans than the short second season.

So yeah, I disagree in you calling it a fad. still 2nd in manga sales after 5 years of the anime? That is no fad imo.

Last edited by abyssblade on Thu May 31, 2018 1:39 pm; edited 3 times in total
Яeverse

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:37 pm Reply with quote
superdome1 wrote:
Яeverse wrote:

Food Wars is still outselling volumes individually, even outselling Black Clover. Black Clover actually has an extra volume over Food Wars which were included in these totals. So it’s that much of difference between the falling Food Wars and Black Clover’s volume sales.

I’d say “at least” 5mil is a bit of a stretch. Considering it’s highest selling volume so far is 317k and even with the backlog, I’d say at least 4mil and at most 4.5mil. Tho I guess it could surprise me.

Backlog sales, and further sales of those buying the backlog voluems catching up to new ones could enable BLack Clover to outsell FoodWars at the end of the year.

Just because newer volumes outsell another series doesnt mean that higher selling volume series is still getting tons of backlog sales...several series with less volumes released than other series still overcame series, see the remaining 400K sales of a previous one piece volume on the chart, or Promised Neverland selling well even though only two volumes are there, and its backlog representing an additional 1.2mln copies not captured on the volume chart (similar to the lesser per volume selling BLack Clover).

I think one could argue if Food wars had a volume, it might still have failed to outperform either series.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:14 pm Reply with quote
abyssblade wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
Connor Dino wrote:

Its a bit of a stretch to say its a fad, when the manga is still at 2nd place for the most part, and the reason for season 2 decline in sales/popularity is that, the price was too high imo, plus the 4 year wait for 12 episodes and cgi collosal titan also affected it. And even so the 2nd season was still pretty popular.

So my hero acadamia topping snk 12 episode 2nd season is not a big surprise. Lets see if its going to top season 3, which imo will be adapting the best part of the manga, plus its going to be 24 episodes so it will have a longer lasting memory in fans than the short second season.

So yeah, I disagree in you calling it a fad. still 2nd in manga sales after 5 years of the anime? That is no fad imo.

You have a point. Maybe "fad" was too strong. "Past the height of its popularity" doesn't have a word that I know of. If there's a series that really qualifies as a fad, it's "Hetalia."
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:19 am Reply with quote
I think it's feat when a non-OP manga vol. outsells an OP manga vol.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:27 am Reply with quote
Why are only the top-ten manga listed here when MAL reports figures for the top-50 and sometimes more? I'd point to one of those reports, but as you probably know, MAL has been off-line all week while they diagnose a possible security problem.

The most interesting moves on these lists typically appear in the mid-range where we can see the effects of anime adaptations on manga sales. Chihayafuru is a poster child for such moves, vaulting to the top of the list after the anime began airing. Movement in the 11-30 ranks are usually much more interesting than the top of the list which is typically dominated by long-established franchises.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:28 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Why are only the top-ten manga listed here when MAL reports figures for the top-50 and sometimes more? I'd point to one of those reports, but as you probably know, MAL has been off-line all week while they diagnose a possible security problem.

The most interesting moves on these lists typically appear in the mid-range where we can see the effects of anime adaptations on manga sales. Chihayafuru is a poster child for such moves, vaulting to the top of the list after the anime began airing. Movement in the 11-30 ranks are usually much more interesting than the top of the list which is typically dominated by long-established franchises.

That's because Oricon only posted the top 10.

The figures MAL posts, for figures beyond what ANN posts, they calculate based on weekly sales rankings. Since Oricon only posts the top 50 volume sales for weekly sales, the numbers aren't 100% accurate, but close enough given how small numbers outside of the top 50 for weekly sales rankings are.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2