• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Persona 5 TV Anime Reveals Staff, Promo Video, April Premiere

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theNightster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to have to get used to not calling him Akira anymore.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:21 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Huh, so he's going to be named Ren Amamiya, not Akira Kurusu like in the manga. That's...gonna take some getting used to. Oh well.

The name variations are already common though. It was like that in the adaptations of Personas 1, 3, and 4. Laughing

My gut feeling is telling me that this will be better than the other Persona animations. But as a long time fan, I don't feel like watching this before I finish the game. Sad
Hershey's

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:57 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
No idea where this positive feedback for the director is coming from as he's still very much unproven in the big chair. While From the New World was solid, it could have been the strength of the source material that shone through. I've seen Garakowa and was not impressed in the least. I don't think there's anything else that he has been the director of other than individual episodes or OP animations.

While it is reasonable to find Ishihama to be relatively inexperienced in the (series) director's chair, and from a writing perspective, From the New World's strengths may have been due to the source material, I think you don't give Ishihama enough credit in terms of the visual side of direction, given that From the New World was adapted from a novel. He may have directed a good deal of OPs in recent years, but they are some of the most well regarded in terms of direction. In light of that, I think it is not unreasonable for some of us to be optimistic, just as much as it is for you to disagree.

From the New World was kind of a mess in the direction department given how it suffered the A-1 curse of poor production values. It was definitely interesting but I wouldn't be lying if I said that the reason why it didn't collapse like so many other A-1 adaptation was due to the staff involved felt strongly about the source of material to work with what they got and it just so happens that the novel was actually really good. I do disagree with the notion that the anime was ONLY good because of the strong source of material they were adapting since the manga adaptation of it is terrible despite being more faithful in some areas. I HIGHLY doubt they're going to put the same sort of effort to a video game adaptation versus a prestige novel but then again I thought P4A was fun on top of being faithful to the game despite its poor production values so we'll see.
Hershey's

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:08 pm Reply with quote
OrangeVision wrote:
Thank heavens, no Seiji Kishi. I might actually watch this.

Seiji Kishi is not a bad director and has a much better resume than Ishihama (who is only known for From The New World) who this year alone completed the critically acclaimed Tsukigakirei while the latter gave us the stinker flop nobody remembers Glass no Hana last year. Its best to say that Kishi is a very shallow director i.e. he puts his best efforts into material that interests him versus what is essential cash grab videogame adaptations which already have a negative reputation in itself. P4A was also a production nightmare in itself so its a miracle that he savaged it and it went on to be a huge success, Golden was a cheap cash grab and a shameless one at that but the Adachi backstory was a highlight ans showcased what he could do with the source of material if he cared enough. There really is nothing to say that Ishihama will do a better job especially given that P5's format is already like an anime in itself and its not nearly as prestige as From the New World so who knows.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:53 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:

Everybody always fear some works wouldn't ever be done justice just like it, and Persona 5 is no exception besides being probably the better paced Persona game ever made.

Well sure if you ignore things like how you have to make multiple trips into the first palace before you can complete it, those tedious down periods between the palaces that seem to drag compounded by the annoying testing, and how towards the end the game feels like it rushed towards it's end.
danpmss

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:10 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
danpmss wrote:

Everybody always fear some works wouldn't ever be done justice just like it, and Persona 5 is no exception besides being probably the better paced Persona game ever made.

Well sure if you ignore things like how you have to make multiple trips into the first palace before you can complete it, those tedious down periods between the palaces that seem to drag compounded by the annoying testing, and how towards the end the game feels like it rushed towards it's end.

I mean, it isn't wrong, it still probably is the better paced Persona game overall, even if you take in consideration its lenght.

Even the Persona 2 games, that would be my second picks, either drags or rushes a lot more than just that (and that's considering they didn't even entered that same year-long Persona 3 model just yet)
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:30 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
I mean, it isn't wrong, it still probably is the better paced Persona game overall, even if you take in consideration its lenght.

I guess though honestly if they ever make newer version of 5 (or whenever they do 6) they really need to dial back on the tedium (and maybe the annoying mascot characters or just plain make them less obnoxious).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2