• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Brock & Misty Return to Pokémon Anime After 15 Years

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3ngag3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:13 pm Reply with quote
SaiyamanMS wrote:
Quote:
Both characters haven't appeared in the show together in 15 years.

Misty did guest star in Advanced Generation, which had Brock as a regular. So their last appearance together was in 2006, only 11 years ago.

Also, if they can get them back for these two episodes, why couldn't they get them back for the movie? Makoto and Souji were basically just Misty and Brock lite.

I don't think they ever had any intention of bringing them back post movie. They might have brought them back due to fan backlash over them not appearing in I Choose You.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:23 pm Reply with quote
While the Serena fanboy in me is raging, I'm glad to see Kasumi being back after all those years. After Advanced Generation, she only got a couple of very brief cameos in flashbacks or openings, and unlike Takeshi, she didn't got to reappear in a special episode.

The tweet from Mayumi Iizuka is especially heartwarming since she's the only one of the original trio not to be a regular seiyuu since Kasumi left the show. Yuji Ueda has been almost in series, although he barely appeared in Best Wishes. Nonetheless, Ueda played a lot of major Pokémon, such as Musashi's Sonans, Satoshi's Magmarashi, Satoshi's Yorunozuku, Satoshi's Jukain, Satoshi's Goukazaru, Satoshi's Gekkouga, Satoshi's Numelgon, Shouta's Jukain. I really enjoyed Ueda playing two Pokémon fighting each other in a whitehot battle.
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:34 pm Reply with quote
3ngag3 wrote:
SaiyamanMS wrote:
Quote:
Both characters haven't appeared in the show together in 15 years.

Misty did guest star in Advanced Generation, which had Brock as a regular. So their last appearance together was in 2006, only 11 years ago.

Also, if they can get them back for these two episodes, why couldn't they get them back for the movie? Makoto and Souji were basically just Misty and Brock lite.

I don't think they ever had any intention of bringing them back post movie. They might have brought them back due to fan backlash over them not appearing in I Choose You.

The turnaround time for a single episode of Pokémon is really long though, with them taking roughly five months just to animate each episode, in addition to a few weeks' worth of scripting and storyboarding before that. These episodes will have been in the works since around the time when the first teasers for the movie started to come out. While I suppose it's not impossible that this is due to fan backlash, it would have to have been a pretty immediate reaction if that were the case. Like, "Oh no, the quick teaser we released yesterday is getting a ton of angry "Where are Kasumi and Takeshi?!" comments! We have to put them in the show, like, pronto!" level of immediate. And if that were the case, one would think they'd announce it a bit further in advance than a mere two weeks before they come back.
0nsen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Why do all three look like shit, though? This can't be too hard, they managed to get it right 20 years ago, too. https://qt.vidyagam.es/4TtF3KT.jpg
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:08 pm Reply with quote
pauladls wrote:
MagusGuardian wrote:
is it just me or did the changes to brock and misty over time suddenly just get redacted and they were reverted back to their younger versions?

Yeah, Modern anime look like that

Ugghhh, you can tell exactly when the moe-blob craze started.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:23 pm Reply with quote
For me, nearly 30 years old and still a Pokemon fan (games, anime) a feel a bit ashamed xD, this is awesome news! Its hard to pick who i like more Serena or Misty... I still hope someday Ash hold a BBQ or whatever and everyone joins up from the past... And i honestly dont get why they dont do that sooner, bringing old mains back for a few episodes to promote past seasons...
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I honestly feel like the character designs are good. I'm surprised people hate it so much.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:55 pm Reply with quote
They're always welcome back but I don't see why they would revert to their old clothes. Might as well update their outfits with their designs.

Like someone else said the last time Misty and Brock appeared in an episode together was 2005 and 2013 if you're counting flashbacks not 2002. But honestly I'm more excited to see the old Pokemon like Steelix or Psyduck.
MadHi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:03 pm Reply with quote
And people said Gundam AGE looked bad.

For me, this is the Transformers: Animated of Pokemon. It is just horrible to look at, especially when compared to what came before it. They talked about wanting to make it easier to animate and in shorter amount of time but it's so overly simplified that they don't even put effort into even putting creases on their clothes, and shading is so minimal there's hardly any depth, they look completely flat. Also, I don't know if it's just me, but I find that most of the new cast actually look fine, it's the original cast that look overly bubbly.

EDIT: To be honest, while it's nice to see the original trio back again, the entire Sun and Moon property has been rather lackluster for me. The games are a step down from X and Y I'm already waiting for the next Gen after Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. The anime's art and tone is a put off, that I'm now waiting for the the next series and hoping it will revert to the cooler art style of the XYZ anime. And there aren't many new interesting Pokemon I'd want to use in my party. In fact, when I transferred my X and Y Pokemon to Sun and Moon, I was disappointing that I couldn't bring them back because I wanted to continue playing those instead.
Digimonlover101

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Why does misty look like she got her face swapped with a 4 year old?
CycloneJoker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:53 pm Reply with quote
MadHi wrote:
And people said Gundam AGE looked bad.

For me, this is the Transformers: Animated of Pokemon. It is just horrible to look at, especially when compared to what came before it. They talked about wanting to make it easier to animate and in shorter amount of time but it's so overly simplified that they don't even put effort into even putting creases on their clothes, and shading is so minimal there's hardly any depth, they look completely flat. Also, I don't know if it's just me, but I find that most of the new cast actually look fine, it's the original cast that look overly bubbly.

EDIT: To be honest, while it's nice to see the original trio back again, the entire Sun and Moon property has been rather lackluster for me. The games are a step down from X and Y I'm already waiting for the next Gen after Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. The anime's art and tone is a put off, that I'm now waiting for the the next series and hoping it will revert to the cooler art style of the XYZ anime. And there aren't many new interesting Pokemon I'd want to use in my party. In fact, when I transferred my X and Y Pokemon to Sun and Moon, I was disappointing that I couldn't bring them back because I wanted to continue playing those instead.

Huh, interesting. I think you're the first person that I've seen who said they specifically preferred X/Y to Sun/Moon. Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Personally, I feel like Sun and Moon is everything X/Y wanted to be, but couldn't quite handle the full jump to 3D. Better proportioned character models, crisper battle models and animations, a much more fleshed out version of Pokeamie, Pokemon Snap Lite to make use of the camera, and many other things.

To me, X/Y felt like it relied far too heavily on soulless nostalgia, between giving you a Kanto starter, a segment with a Snorlax blocking the road and a bunch of other familiar story beats to such an extent that I can barely remember the details on account of so little of it being new or unique, as well as such a heavy focus on Pokemon from all over being available that the new additions felt tacked on and not very unique, bar a few exceptions like Greninja, Aegislash, etc. for their unique abilities and attacks.

On the other hand, Sun and Moon did enough to move the series forward while also satisfying old fans with familiar, but new takes on older ideas like Alolan varients and the older Red and Blue at the Battle Tree. Not to mention other things like the Gen 7 Pokemon having a lot more unique abilities and moves so that less are forgettable compared to Gen 6, as well as the abolition of HMs in favour of PokeRide, something people have been asking for in some form for years now. I personally make a point to try and always make my first playthrough of a new Gen using only the new Pokemon, and this was the first time in a while I found myself really happy with my entire party from the start. Yes, it holds your hand longer than most other Pokemon games, but the core audience is children, so it can't be blamed too much for that. It has it's share of difficulty, what with the Ace Trainers on every other route who battle you after every other trainer and use semi-meta strategies like Stealth Rock and force switching, etc. I just don't get the hate for Sun and Moon beyond those factors, since it improves on a lot of what X/Y was criticised for by having a stronger story and postgame, among other things. The only real downside to the upgrade I see is the removal of Super Training. Makes EV levelling a little more tedious again.
Guile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Past characters showing up is hardly news, they've done that all the time. I am more surprised at Mega Haganail and Mega Gyarados, because Sun and Moon tried to bury mega evolutions and get rid of them. I'll be the guy who says ORAS is better than XY and SM
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I haven't been this hyped for the Pokemon anime in a while and I was already excited for SuMo anime in the first place. If we had to have one I'm glad Brock and Misty are returning for a show cameo rather than the movie since it will be interesting to see how they have changed since we last saw them (or not changed, when it comes to their outfits). I love the artstyle for SuMo and these two have made the transition well, I especially like how Brock looks. Pretty convenient how they both have Pokemon that can Mega Evolve already.
InuKag1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Ew why do they look like that?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm totally ecstatic of Brock and Misty's return (even if it's only for two separate episodes)! Smile They look fantastic in their new Sun and Moon appearances.

I wonder if Misty's English voice actress has caught news of this yet...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3