• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Power Rangers Film Earns US$40.5 Million, Ranks #2 in Opening Weekend

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:19 am Reply with quote
FrozenMoon wrote:
You're completely entitled to your opinion but I'm a little surprised, with no offense to this movie I personally thought "Logan" was one of the best movies I've seen in years just overall, but hey that's just my opinion.

I would say Logan is the best film I've seen so far this year, but Kong: Skull Island is my 2nd favorite so far and Power Rangers was actually great with actors who clearly put a lot of heart into their roles and good development of their personalities and bond with each other. It's been a really solid year for the films I've seen already and I'd rank them: Logan, Kong: Skull Island, Get Out, Beauty and the Beast, Split, Power Rangers, LEGO Batman Movie (which was good but lacked the heart of the first LEGO movie and the laughs were less frequent in comparison as well).
Haysey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:25 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised by how many people enjoyed it. I personally thought it wasn't great (worst film for me this year...but the bar has been pretty high with Logan and Your Name)
For all it's good points (Billy the Blue Ranger, Rita) it was let down by the bad (The length, lack of development for the Yellow and Black ranger, unlikable Red) and i just can't get over how much i hated the Pink Ranger (she was written an out and out horrible person!)

...this is coming from a person that cheered at the Kong post credits scene mind Rolling Eyes

When it's all said and done it'll probably break even/small profit. Whether that's good enough to justify a sequel we'll have to wait and see.
NBlaze53

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:54 am Reply with quote
Haysey wrote:
I'm surprised by how many people enjoyed it. I personally thought it wasn't great (worst film for me this year...but the bar has been pretty high with Logan and Your Name)
For all it's good points (Billy the Blue Ranger, Rita) it was let down by the bad (The length, lack of development for the Yellow and Black ranger, unlikable Red) and i just can't get over how much i hated the Pink Ranger (she was written an out and out horrible person!)

...this is coming from a person that cheered at the Kong post credits scene mind Rolling Eyes

When it's all said and done it'll probably break even/small profit. Whether that's good enough to justify a sequel we'll have to wait and see.

I didn't see Kimberly as a horrible person. One of her best friends stole her boyfriend and like most teenage girls would do, wanted revenge. It's what makes me like these characters so much. They were all relatable and realistic teenagers. Exactly what the superhero movie sub-genre needed. And maybe I'm just a biased Australian, but I loved this films Jason. He was a character and not a cardboard cut out like original Jason was, who was always my least favourite power ranger.
Tylec

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:28 am Reply with quote
NBlaze53 wrote:
I didn't see Kimberly as a horrible person. One of her best friends stole her boyfriend and like most teenage girls would do, wanted revenge. It's what makes me like these characters so much.

So she spoiler[posts naked photos of her friend online,] humiliating her in front of their community, and tarnishing her future reputation, right?

There's impulsive screw-ups to make a character seem relatable and then there's calculated, carefully thought-out revenge schemes that wouldn't seem out of place on a villain's rap sheet. It sounds like the pink ranger has a long, long road to becoming even a semi-decent human being.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:59 am Reply with quote
It beat expectations against Beauty and the Beast and looks set to clobber Ghost next week.

So yeah, the public appreciates the John Hughes film with robot dinosaurs.
zeopower6

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:58 am Reply with quote
NBlaze53 wrote:
I didn't see Kimberly as a horrible person. One of her best friends stole her boyfriend and like most teenage girls would do, wanted revenge. It's what makes me like these characters so much. They were all relatable and realistic teenagers. Exactly what the superhero movie sub-genre needed.

I think judging from what happened, you wouldn't expect the film to be on her side. They could have avoided the whole spoiler["I'm getting revenge by posting your nude photos"] angle and instead went for something else that wasn't so much on the side of just plain horrible. Had the situation happened to Kimberly and she was the victim with some fallout from that being why she was excluded from her group of friends, it would have made more sense than "look at this thing Kimberly did and the person she did it to is getting what they deserve even though nowadays it's basically a crime to do that!", you know?

I understand that they kind of wanted to make everyone have some sort of 'unique' aspect about them as individuals (Ludi Lin basically getting the short end of the stick being "bilingual") but it was probably a bad decision to go that far with Kimberly.

AyanamiRei wrote:
Out of curiosity, is this thing's footage made from scratch or does it rely on japanese videos like the Power Rangers? (obviously, it doesn't or the difference would be jarring)

It's like the first two MMPR movies. No old footage from Japan is used at all since they have their own unique suit designs and monster concepts. I do wonder who they'll have dub the Japanese version though.

I am certain a sequel is going to happen given that they are basically teasing one already but I don't think they will be able to replicate the 'success' this one had unless the marketing push is just as big if not bigger. I'm a bit surprised that so many people enjoyed it, as it seemed like it was trying a bit too hard to me as someone who liked Power Rangers way back when.

Last edited by zeopower6 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:20 pm Reply with quote
AyanamiRei wrote:
Out of curiosity, is this thing's footage made from scratch or does it rely on Japanese videos like the Power Rangers? (obviously, it doesn't or the difference would be jarring)

This is 100% original footage, so yes, its made from scratch.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I am actually quite surprised by how I am surprisingly invested into this movie and the actors playing the main five rangers all did a pretty good job making me care for all of them and now, if there is a sequel coming up with these five being around for a long while, then count me in!

As for the box office, it's okay but it does seem doubtful about a sequel actually happening but with recent news confirming that yes, this film will get a China release date, there is possible hope for this film to get its franchise going for Lionsgate and lets face it, they really need a franchise right now and if this film doesn't get a sequel then the odds of them doing Naruto may not be so good.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:01 pm Reply with quote
zeopower6 wrote:
I am certain a sequel is going to happen given that they are basically teasing one already but I don't think they will be able to replicate the 'success' this one had unless the marketing push is just as big if not bigger. I'm a bit surprised that so many people enjoyed it, as it seemed like it was trying a bit too hard to me as someone who liked Power Rangers way back when.

I have no doubt they'll have just as much marketing for the second one, as this first one has been deemed a success. They'll be willing to invest more into it now that the first movie has proven itself.

As for replicating this movie's success, considering the massive box office returns for movies after the first in movie series, like Twilight, Harry Potter, Star Wars, and the Dark Knight trilogy, provided they can keep up the quality, I think they can do it. They just have to not screw up.
zeopower6

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:26 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I have no doubt they'll have just as much marketing for the second one, as this first one has been deemed a success. They'll be willing to invest more into it now that the first movie has proven itself.

I don't think it has really been deemed a success yet. Consider that they probably poured quite a lot into marketing and don't make -that- back this time around. I would say it may be less likely that just as much will be spent on marketing since it didn't pay off as much as they had hoped. Like, one of the only reasons it may have done well was that they really shoved it in people's faces all over the place for the last few months. I remember seeing TV commercials during prime time sports starting in like... January.

Last edited by zeopower6 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shirohae

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Damnn thats awesome! The movie was pretty good
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:37 pm Reply with quote
zeopower6 wrote:
I don't think it has really been deemed a success yet. Consider that they probably poured quite a lot into marketing and don't make -that- back this time around. I would say it may be less likely that just as much will be spent on marketing since it didn't pay off as much as they had hoped. Like, one of the only reasons it may have done well was that they really shoved it in people's faces all over the place for the last few months. I remember seeing TV commercials during prime time sports starting in like... January.

Well, that IS how Hollywood marketing works: You see it everywhere, and they make sure anyone who isn't a hermit will know about the movie, if not constantly reminded of it.

The problem is that it's very risky to do this, because it costs tens or hundreds of millions of dollars to saturate the public like this. There's also the risk of mental burnout in some people. But this approach works enough that the big studios are still doing it.
zeopower6

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Which is why I think the returns were not enough to sustain them doing that again with marketing, at least on the scale that they were doing it at. IMO, it was a bad idea to spend so much trying to get the prime time sports audience since most people were just like "What the hell is this Power Rangers movie?" whenever it came on like it was a really bad fit for that audience. I guess we'll see how week 2 goes but honestly I'm not optimistic. And it works for sure but only with the right properties aiming at the right demographics. Otherwise it's all kind of just too much at once. Like the Krispy Kreme tie-in is kind of out of left field and Rita eating a donut from there in the film with the logo pretty prominent as well is like... whaaa?

As a fan that was around from the beginning basically as a toddler, I saw this movie as trying too hard to be 'cool' and edgy with designs that don't feel quite right for Power Rangers but seem like they'd fit more with like... Transformers (Lite) or Pacific Rim.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Isn't Power Rangers only an American/English-speaking thing? I can't really expect it to do well in non-English speaking countries since they didn't get the Saban super sentai meets Saved By the Bell mash-up that was inexplicably popular in the 90's.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:23 am Reply with quote
NBlaze53 wrote:
Haysey wrote:

I didn't see Kimberly as a horrible person. One of her best friends stole her boyfriend and like most teenage girls would do, wanted revenge. It's what makes me like these characters so much. They were all relatable and realistic teenagers. Exactly what the superhero movie sub-genre needed. And maybe I'm just a biased Australian, but I loved this films Jason. He was a character and not a cardboard cut out like original Jason was, who was always my least favourite power ranger.

Except that's not what happened.spoiler[The friend shared her photo with Kimberly, and then in a "mean girl" act, Kimberly showed the picture to her boyfriend saying "Is the the kind of girl you want to bring home to your mother?" or something like that, and then when the boyfriend responded as a decent human being by saying "Wow, you're the meanest girl I've ever met." she punched his tooth out. Then, somehow, this picture gets out around the school anyway which is why she's frozen out from the popular girls group. The movie's not entirely clear about it, but what it is clear is that they want us to empathize and feel bad for Kimberly when she did something objectively horrible and she gets off light to say the least.

Similarly, they were trying to go for a Varsity Blues vibe I think with Jason and his Dad, except I believe the Dad was totally right in being angry at his son for screwing up his career. Yet the movie asks me to root for Jason when he's downright petulant at times, and his growth into Red Ranger leader was flimsy at best. Far as I could tell, only reason he wanted to and the Rangers became "his team" is because Zordon told him that he couldn't do it.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3