• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: HMV Canada to Close All 102 Stores by April

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:16 am Reply with quote
This has a huge effect on anime sales in Canada.

HMV is/was the only decent brick and mortar store to find anime in Canada. Walmart only sells kiddie stuff. This will mean that most anime just won't be available in Canada anywhere but online (and maybe some specialty shops in major cities).

Looking at HMV.ca it appears the online store is already closed. The site is there but they only have a little information and no products.

Of course one can buy online, but then you have to factor in shipping costs which can raise the price or the amount you have to spend. And you can't use cash online which will be a major stumbling point for may younger fans.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:57 am Reply with quote
I bought a good number of my anime titles from HMV in downtown Toronto and it's such a shame that it is closing down due to people prefer buying their titles online and now, I wonder if Best Buy can also preorder certain anime titles for me like how HMV usually does my preorders.

I got to feel bad for all of the employees though because they are such great people every time I see them.

RIP HMV
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I was not aware of this until now. I'm going to miss what their stores had to offer whether it be anime (great section by the way), the latest blockbuster movies on Blu-Ray/DVD (or any movie really), or even their CDs. But I especially loved seeing the merchandise they had as an extra for geeks like me. When I'm going down to the Rideau Centre in Downtown Ottawa, what kind of store is going to open in its place I wonder? For now, I'll just have to buy whatever is left in their stores as their prices go down in the coming weeks.
F302 Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:32 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
This has a huge effect on anime sales in Canada.

HMV is/was the only decent brick and mortar store to find anime in Canada. Walmart only sells kiddie stuff. This will mean that most anime just won't be available in Canada anywhere but online (and maybe some specialty shops in major cities).

Looking at HMV.ca it appears the online store is already closed. The site is there but they only have a little information and no products.

Of course one can buy online, but then you have to factor in shipping costs which can raise the price or the amount you have to spend. And you can't use cash online which will be a major stumbling point for may younger fans.

You can still buy DVDs/Blu-Ray at your nearest Anime Convention
Sensei Terry Silver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:35 pm Reply with quote
The big difference is, at the convention I always go each year (Otakuthon in Montreal), the HMV / Funimation booth was pretty much the only stand offering DVD sets at reasonable prices. Even during the past couple of years, with the Canadian Dollar taking a plunge, they offered prices nearly on par with the U.S. retail price. Nearly every other stand were selling their DVDs at the usual eye-gouging convention prices (and yes, I'm aware of the economics behind your independent seller vs the huge corporate chain )

They will be missed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2