• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
2016 MEGA POLL Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dash56

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:35 am Reply with quote
SaneSavantElla wrote:
dash56 wrote:
I'm sad to see Fune o Amu not make it on the list. You suck amazon.

It's there as "The Great Passage", go ahead vote for it! Very Happy

Awesome, I completely missed it.

Thanks
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:49 am Reply with quote
The year was bottom heavy for me. This season rally bringing the gold.

The Great Passage

March Comes In Like a Lion

Natsume Yuujin-Chou Go
(although somehow not as affecting as previous seasons- still a favorite series)

Flying Witch

www.Working / Wagnaria
(a little awkward, but lately I've finally been able to stop comparing it to the original and been noticing its unique charm... have you ever really known a romantic comedy like this in which all the couples are so dysfunctional and unsure of themselves? At least one without heavy drama?)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:17 pm Reply with quote
We have 195 TV series for 2016 in that list. Isn't that a record? I remember that in 2006 was supposedly the biggest year up to that point and there were only about 160 series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeverLand

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm vote 5 of them because they're my fav animes in this year:

1. Re: Zero, has bad protag but as the plot progresses it more better and better (checkpoint by death is very unique ability though). Rem is best waifu of the year Smile

2. KonoSuba: Best Comedy of the Year. Nuff Said.

3. Izetta

4. Keijo: Weird but very enjoyable fanservice and action Smile

5. Macross Delta: Story isn't polished at second half but everything is very good. Great music, colorful cast of characters, and gorgeous mecha animation (Even better than Gundam IBO IMO.)
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:51 pm Reply with quote
It was really hard to narrow it down to five this year, but here's what I ended up with:

5) KonoSuba - This narrowly edged out Yuri on Ice as my "shows I really enjoyed despite generally not liking the genre" pick. I would hesitate to call it a "classic", but it was an incredibly solid production that reminded me a lot of Slayers, El-Hazard, and all of the other '90s fantasy anime that probably aren't as good as I remember them being.

4) Flying Witch - I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this show compared to the host of other iyashikei manga adaptations that aired this year. The main character had a much more mature feel than most female slice of life protagonists, and I enjoyed the cat far more than I probably should have. I'm looking forward to picking up the manga when it comes out and continuing on with the characters.

3) Teekyuu - After eight seasons, this series continues to knock it out of the park. Every episode was hilarious this year, and I am very close to importing the blurays at this point!

2) Lostorage Incited WIXOSS - It turns out "lesbian Yu-Gi-Oh" is still a great show, even after losing its former director and head writer. It's not quite as good as Selector Spread WIXOSS, but the franchise didn't suffer from the departure of Mari Okada as much as I had feared it would.

1) Flip Flappers - Technically, this show is still airing, so I'm not as sure of its ranking quite yet, but so far Flip Flappers feels like someone took all of my favorite things about anime and mashed them together.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:32 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Flip Flappers - 2 episodes - I like the visuals and what I've seen is enough to intrigue me to watch further, but I don't care for Papika's super innocent personality, especially since several people have been mentioning the yuri in the show.

You may have left at the opportune point. As has become clear, the surreal way this show conveys its characters' feelings is not especially approachable, and as such it is quite divisive amongst audiences. I continue with it mainly for the sake of ongoing discourse.
Quote:
planetarian - COMPLETE - Not my cup of tea, but it was short and painless so I just went with it. Despite finishing it, wouldn't rank it on any sort of favorite list of the year.

Planetarian was one of the three titles released in this year that I most wished to see! The other two were motion pictures that are (sadly but understandably) excluded from this poll. Certainly not a special show, but one that nevertheless fulfilled everything one could reasonably expect of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this was tough! I ended up picking series that were not continuations (leaving out Natsume and Haikyuu!! which really hurt to do), and that tried to do something a little different, which knocked Kuromukuro out, despite it really being one of my favorites of the year.

Even then, it was difficult to decide. I wanted to vote for Ajin, which has been contained within 2016 so far and has kept me on the edge of my seat all year, but it's harder to justify with the CGI animation, which makes it harder to recommend, though it doesn't bother me at all in this (unlike in Berserk).

Bungo Stray Dogs was great, although it dragged too much in the first half to make the cut. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. is my favorite comedy this year, with Tanaka-kun hot on its heels, but I think for a comedy to take AOTY, it has to be twice as entertaining as a drama. Unfair, I know. Erased might've made it if it hadn't fallen apart in the last few episodes. Re:Zero would have it it were finished. Still, moving it out of contention was a seriously hard decision. Joker Game and 91 Days were both my kind of series, but neither had the chops to win over this crowded field.

So this is what I ended up with (in alphabetical order - just choosing 5 was too hard, I'm not choosing order on top of that!):

The Great Passage In every way this is exactly my kind of anime. Unusual subject matter which I happen to be intensely interested in, characters I can really warm up to, exceptional animation (except for one unfortunately outsourced episode), a compelling, if low-key story. I felt a bit at sea after the time-skip, but even that small drawback was not enough to kill my enjoyment of this amazing series. I hate you, amazon.com.

Mob Psycho 100 I find myself surprised that this is on my list, but despite its slow start (which on rewatch isn't slow at all) and an animation style that takes some getting used to, it's just glorious, in its storyline, its unique cast of characters, and its amazing animation.

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu The most exquisite to look at series this year, hands down. Every character contains multitudes, and every scene is bursting with meaning and symbolism. The visuals are nearly as much characters in the work as the characters themselves, and their stories are as enthralling as the vivid rakugo performances. And the seiyuu were at the top of their game, without exception. Just listening to the Japanese track is breathtaking. The historical ambience is just icing on the cake. Can't wait for the next season.

Thunderbolt Fantasy Well, this is definitely something different! So much fun, intriguing costuming, a surprisingly surprising story, cheeky humor, amazing camerawork and sfx, what's not to love here?

Yuri!!! on Ice I doubt the last episode tomorrow will change my mind, but so far this has been one of the most well-paced, -plotted, -written series I've seen in ages. And skating!! Every time I think they're headed for some cliche or predictability, they prove me wrong (which isn't actually so hard to do, but they've surprised many people who are much harder to fool than I! Wink ). I love this series so much and everyone in it. And everyone responsible for it. It just makes me ridiculously happy, and if nothing else, the end credits of Episode 10 are the best of all time. Hey, no hyperbole here! Wink

Looking forward to the reviewers' picks!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2