• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gainax, Saudi Arabia's Arinat Make 3-Minute 'Desert Knight' Trailer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:19 am Reply with quote
leesahlynn wrote:
I will absolute not support anything coming out of Saudi Arabia. You think the money they earn from this wont be spent there, wont benefit that economy and government? What a sick joke. The private company behind this collab shouldn't have agreed to the partnership in the first place, it was perfectly within their control and now it's in ours as the consumer.

Hear, hear!

Glad to see someone else here who doesn't fall for the politically correct BS! I don't care if this collaborative company is public or private; it originates from a part of the world where women are treated like chattel, non-Moslems are forbidden to enter Mecca, etc..
taishou*

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:01 am Reply with quote
leesahlynn wrote:
I will absolute not support anything coming out of Saudi Arabia. You think the money they earn from this wont be spent there, wont benefit that economy and government? What a sick joke. The private company behind this collab shouldn't have agreed to the partnership in the first place, it was perfectly within their control and now it's in ours as the consumer.

Here's a novel idea: citizens aren't responsible for the actions of their government.
I dislike the Saudi government strongly, but I'm not going to pretend that I'm gaining some "moral high ground" by refusing to watch an animation produced partially by people who live there.
If you don't want to watch it, then that's fine. But I guess you also should stop purchasing anything containing oils, plastics, or aluminium because a decent portion of those come from Saudi Arabia and, god knows, the Saudi government sure benefits a lot more from those than from some anime collaboration.
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:13 am Reply with quote
No female characters, you notice.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:34 am Reply with quote
Saudi Arabian characters being voiced in Japanese is going to be incredibly strange though.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:22 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Saudi Arabian characters being voiced in Japanese is going to be incredibly strange though.

I heard there's an Arabic version.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:44 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
I heard there's an Arabic version.

I heard the same. That makes much more sense honestly.
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm not fond of Saudi Arabia but in response to some anti-Saudi comments which for some reason are also extending towards Arabs and Muslims in general (which in itself is stupid to do), I'm not going to pretend that the USA/UK/Australia/Canada have perfect ethics and morals. Quite frankly, they have MAJOR problems of their own in other areas, especially when it comes to their (phony) equal rights and foreign policies.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:12 am Reply with quote
Wrial Huden wrote:
Don't think I'll be supporting this. Saudi Arabia's human rights record is atrocious.

Are these the same people who are committing crimes against humanity in that country though? It sounds like Arinat is an organization that really wants to promote production of Middle Eastern media, and that is something I'd like to support, especially if they aim to provide voices to the voiceless.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:02 am Reply with quote
People seem give wrong impression about Saudi Arabian. People there doesnt really restricted like you always think via news media. There are anime air on their television just like other normal country. Women there doesnt really fully cover their body( just see how the Arab celebrity wear their clothes)

Sharia laws are still there but its not like you always think. In fact, Saudi Arabia is way better than North Korea.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:04 am Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:
In fact, Saudi Arabia is way better than North Korea.

Truly a shining endorsement.
JoeOfTomorrow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:12 am Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:
Saudi Arabia is way better than North Korea.

I don't know about that and I can't compare and contrast. But I can say this, if western media says North Korea is bad then I reserve judgment on them because western media is like the TMZ and tabloids of politics and world news. They've lied too many times and and still continue to lie, so how can I trust them when they say North Korea this, Bashar Asad that? They thrive on sensationalizing world issues.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:07 pm Reply with quote
koinosuke wrote:

At least Saudi Arabia people were allowed to have entertainment. Do Kim Joong Un likes anime?

JoeOfTomorrow wrote:

I don't know about that and I can't compare and contrast. But I can say this, if western media says North Korea is bad then I reserve judgment on them because western media is like the TMZ and tabloids of politics and world news. They've lied too many times and and still continue to lie, so how can I trust them when they say North Korea this, Bashar Asad that? They thrive on sensationalizing world issues.

No, what I mean is everything on NK is so outdated. You dont need media to tell you that. Just book a trip to there and you will know what I talking about.
callmebishie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:44 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Erm, us Arabs don't look like that. :/

Erm, arabs don't all look alike so I wouldn't be surprised if you don't look like that. Its just an anime, and based on their research there are people who are tan, especially if one is living in the desert..

But personally I find the kid cute and he could easily resemble an arab boy imo.
callmebishie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Wrial Huden wrote:
Don't think I'll be supporting this. Saudi Arabia's human rights record is atrocious.

LOOL boyy they don't need your measly money. And you watching their anime wouldn't even make chump change in an oil rich country where Americans pay millions and billions to get their fuel.

But I don't know why you're making this political Sad
If you want to boycott then tell the American government to stop selling them weapons.
JoeOfTomorrow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:
koinosuke wrote:

At least Saudi Arabia people were allowed to have entertainment. Do Kim Joong Un likes anime?

JoeOfTomorrow wrote:

No, what I mean is everything on NK is so outdated. You dont need media to tell you that. Just book a trip to there and you will know what I talking about.

I don't have the time nor the money to book a trip there. So, I really can't say. But I still stand by what I said about western media and how they lie about world news. I've compared facts to the claims they've made and I can honestly say anything said by Fox News or CNN is all BS.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3