• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Berserk Anime's Next Arc to Premiere Next Spring

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
It seemed to me that the series was really trying to figure itself out. What bothered me wasn't the CG but that the series had trouble finding a balance between that 2D animation. The further they got the better it became so I have no doubts the second season will be better.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Fallenmessiahx wrote:
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I'm glad to hear they're doing more. I'd have preferred traditional animation, and I'm bothered by all the nipple-less breasts... but I'm still enjoying it a lot.
I would not be surprised if they added nipples in the bluray release. Might be some sort of censoring issue why they don't have them in the broadcast.

Actually they did have nipples on two occasions. First was with the demon horse and the second was when Farnese was reminiscing on burning the heretics when she was a child. That is kind of worse than none at all IMO but yeah usually no nipples.
Ginki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:12 pm Reply with quote
ruining Conviction arc wasn't enough, they want to ruin Hawk of the Millennium Empire arc too. damn it
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:26 pm Reply with quote
For gods sake, SHUT UP, it wasn't that bad. Yes the CG looks a bit off, and is very bad in the first few episodes, the music is very dull and the missing arc was slightly disappointing. But it's a functional adaptation, it's mostly faithful, more so than OLMs adaptation, the key animation looks nice, the voice actors do a fine job. Stop treating it like its the worse thing ever, it's not.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:36 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
For gods sake, SHUT UP, it wasn't that bad. Yes the CG looks a bit off, and is very bad in the first few episodes, the music is very dull and the missing arc was slightly disappointing. But it's a functional adaptation, it's mostly faithful, more so than OLMs adaptation, the key animation looks nice, the voice actors do a fine job. Stop treating it like its the worse thing ever, it's not.

the cg is horrible.

people have such low standards these days.

shouldn't encourage anyone to watch this garbage so they don't get it into their head that this cheap shit is worth doing and start making more of it.

bad enough they ruined ajin with it.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I mean, relative to the manga this adaption is an embarrassment. I'd feel sorry for anyone who's first exposure to Berserk was the 2016 anime. The 1997 series was much more faithful to the original source and had a director who knew what he or she was doing. The animation in the older adaption is also shoddy, but that's really my only major complaint.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

the cg is horrible.

shouldn't encourage anyone to watch this garbage so they don't get it into their head that this cheap shit is worth doing and start making more of it.

I have standards, I didn't praise the CG, I think the CG doesn't look good, and in an ideal world, it wouldn't be there. My argument is that this show has merits, the flaws are not as bad as some are making it out to be, and that it should not be wiped away to be forgotten about, not unless a better adaptation is made

And what do you mean "these days"? So years back when we used to overlook terrible animation, we had high standards?
Kirkdawg wrote:
The 1997 series was much more faithful to the original source
What? out of the 12 and a half volumes they adapted, they must of removed about 5 volumes worth of material. There's also many scenes which in the Manga had a slight comedic edge to them, are altered.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:26 pm Reply with quote
@Tylerr Stay classy, nostalgists (not that I think most aren't). I do question what you mean by saying people have such low standards these days, that is what specific criticisms do you have that you feel are being overlooked? Do enlighten us. And in what way was Ajin "ruined" by CG aside from for those with CG allergies.

And @Kirkdawg you can keep your pity. I think we anime only viewers can see Miura's excellent story through the admittedly imperfect adaptation, thank you very much.

And I would never ask anyone to shut up. I'll gladly spar with anyone who looks down at modern anime and its fans.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:41 pm Reply with quote
We've already had this discussion in another thread, so I'll just say that I agree with the folks who find something worthwhile in this newest Berserk anime, while acknowledging that the CG/rigging is third-rate. It didn't help that their handling of the CG/2D interleaving and of the CG itself seemed to be at their worst in the first few episodes, after which I assume many viewers wrote the show off and checked out. It really does get quite a bit more enjoyable in the later episodes, and not exclusively because of the source material.
JRPGNATION

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I feel like Berserk is the Mighty Number 9 of anime. Very Happy
I don't know if I should feel sorry for berserk fans or happy a the monstrosity of this adaptation. Confused
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:57 pm Reply with quote
The things that happen when people think that anything that has awesome animation has an awesome story(SAO for example). Yes, good visuals are important, but sometimes even with no good visuals you have an engaging or interesting series(almost everything done by the infamous DEEN this year)

That´s what bugs me about people, even if the reasons are understandable. I found World Triiger interesting despite its poor production values, and I found that avoids most of the problems that make shonen unenjoyable for some people(Deus Ex Machinas, Unexplainable Power Ups, The Power of Friendship, etc) but it seems that people called it the worst shonen ever just because TOEI. I would have never read its manga if the story wasn´t engaging. The opposite happened with Akame Ga Kill. It has good production values and people called it something great, when it just is a poor man´s Game of Thrones.

But that´s how things are in this world. Some people are just that inmature. And yes, I know that this doesn´t happen always. If you feel offended bu this comment, I think you should assimilate the truth at least and hear what you should know, not what you want

Quote:

Say the same for Sidonia, but it got good reception even with its CG

And what do people mean with "they are ruining X source material"? The popularity of Transformers and TMNT, or the writing of some good comics or TV series based on them are never ruined because Michael Bay is handling them. The same with the legacy of The League of Extraordinary Men. So the quality of a good manga is never ruined by a bad adaptation. So WE should get those expressions from our heads and think differently
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:14 pm Reply with quote
TMNT, the Bay Transformers' movies, and SAO are great contrasts. Despite its suffering a fair bit visually, the present Berserk anime is definitely more enjoyable than any of the three of those. Substance over visuals any day of the week.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:

Yeah because it isn't like people have unnecessarily high standards either.

Especially Berserk fans complaining how this anime is a form of disrespect to Miura's work when Miura himself likely doesn't care.

Tylerr wrote:

If they choose to make more of this "cheap shit" who is it's hurting at the end of the day?
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:50 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
TMNT, the Bay Transformers' movies

I think I said:
Quote:
And what do people mean with "they are ruining X source material"? The popularity of Transformers and TMNT, or the writing of some good comics or TV series based on them are never ruined because Michael Bay is handling them. The same with the legacy of The League of Extraordinary Men. So the quality of a good manga is never ruined by a bad adaptation. So WE should get those expressions from our heads and think differently
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I agree that you said that. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5