• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Aniplex of America President Henry Goto

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:17 pm Reply with quote
ofpveteran73 wrote:
Samurai Flamenco US release never. )-;

Or Mushi-shi: Next Chapter, or Nanana's Buried Treasure, or Silver Spoon, Magi, Blast of Tempest and World Conquest Zvezda Plot on Blu-ray. This is the one thing I resent AoA for. They are just holding on to these titles with no intention of ever releasing them. Anyone else would have put them out by now, but since they are too niche to support AoA's pricing model we'll never get them.

gabuhaha wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
I had no idea SAO was that big, I remember it getting a lot of buzz when it came out, but that seemed to of died down. I'm dissapointed that he didn't ask him about what he thinks of the Funimation and Crunchyroll partnership.

Henry usually screens the questions that the interviewers ask before hand. He probably refused to let them ask about it. There's also the chance that the actual interview took place before the announcement was made.

It sounds like it was an interview that took place at Anime Expo. At one point, he says, "here we have one announcement." and then goes on to talk about a couple of other cons. I think ANN did a whole bunch of these interviews at Anime Expo and is just spacing out when they publish them.

Definitely interesting to read, though.

It's written at the top of the article:
Quote:
We sat down with Mr. Goto and John Inada, Aniplex of America's director of business development at Anime Expo to talk about the festival and how things are going at Aniplex of America.
SejinPK

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:53 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Or Mushi-shi: Next Chapter, or Nanana's Buried Treasure, or Silver Spoon, Magi, Blast of Tempest and World Conquest Zvezda Plot on Blu-ray. This is the one thing I resent AoA for. They are just holding on to these titles with no intention of ever releasing them. Anyone else would have put them out by now, but since they are too niche to support AoA's pricing model we'll never get them.

Yeah, I don't understand why they just sit on them. I mean, from a business perspective I understand why Aniplex Japan is refusing to re-license their titles to the various U.S. distributors that aren't AoA, to maximize their profit from and control over their various properties. I assume they're planning to license the ones they think will sell well to AoA in the future. But for the ones that they aren't planning to do a physical release for, why not license those out to other companies that would?

I guess the question that needs answering is: Which nets Aniplex more money, streaming-only for their various titles that they don't plan to release to home video, or sub-licensing those titles to other companies in the U.S. that would release them to home video?

Actually, now that I think about it more, that question is a false dichotomy, because AoA could still stream their titles that are currently streaming-only while sub-licensing them to other companies specifically for release to home video. So, yeah, I don't understand their reasoning for just sitting on them regarding physical release, even from a pure business perspective.

You also have to look at it with regard to other things like customer loyalty. I know that AoA's typical practices really aggravate a lot of people, and I can't help but think that their selection of titles is really the main thing in their favor, because many of them are really popular. I think it would help them gain some more goodwill if they at least sub-licensed for home video those titles that they don't want to release that way themselves.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I forgot about Nanana's Buried Treasure.. That was a good series.

I tend to avoid AOA titles, because I dread the price as soon as I hear they licensed it. There are a few exceptions that I have made.. but for the most part.. I'll pass and stick with my fansubs.. (haha yep I said it)
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:05 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
This will never happen, so no need to worry Smile.
Polycell wrote:
The concern some have is that they'll try to at least try to pander to a more global audience and drain away everything that's good about anime(think Hollywood). Goto's absolutely right that anime needs to stay Japanese or else it'll stop being anime.
All that I can add is that Hollywood seems to have a remarkable talent for turning anime gold into live-action lead balloons.
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
I tend to avoid AOA titles, because I dread the price as soon as I hear they licensed it. There are a few exceptions that I have made.. but for the most part.. I'll pass and stick with my fansubs.. (haha yep I said it)
I cannot blame you one bit!
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Too bad I live probably as far east from California as possible in the US otherwise I'd love to go to this event, sounds like fun! Interesting interview! Really happy to see SAO do so well in the west, LOVE the anime series, really fun watch and great dub! Super excited for the upcoming movie! Love the LN's and video game releases too, wish the latter were dubbed as it's just not the same enjoyable without the great dub cast but oh well.

Certainly quite a few AoA releases I need to get, so many great recent releases and upcoming titles I can't wait for too! Anime smile Just need to plan budget wise as those prices shall forever be painful Anime hyper but I'll be happy when I own them all Anime smile
Paiprince

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Everyone! Let's crash the party, take it over, and hold this guy hostage until we get a full refund on all the extra money we spent on their home releases!

Just kidding.

A few of my friends would actually take that up on your offer. No joke. If it weren't handling a relatively niche product, AoA would've already been sued up the eyeballs.
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:

A few of my friends would actually take that up on your offer. No joke. If it weren't handling a relatively niche product, AoA would've already been sued up the eyeballs.

I hate Aniplex as much as the next guy, but I would imagine you can't be sued for price-gouging when you're selling luxury goods.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure why Goto is surprised by SAO's popularity. It's a fantasy action anime with lots of beautiful girls and American anime fans love those types of shows. I mean, how many years was it that you always heard anime fans complaining they wanted more fantasy anime? The second arc might have been more of a mess, but the first arc still hit all the right notes for an epic hit anime and the gaming aspect made the show more appealing to casual anime fans who play lots of video games.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:10 am Reply with quote
SejinPK wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

Yeah, I don't understand why they just sit on them. I mean, from a business perspective I understand why Aniplex Japan is refusing to re-license their titles to the various U.S. distributors that aren't AoA, to maximize their profit from and control over their various properties. I assume they're planning to license the ones they think will sell well to AoA in the future. But for the ones that they aren't planning to do a physical release for, why not license those out to other companies that would?

I guess the question that needs answering is: Which nets Aniplex more money, streaming-only for their various titles that they don't plan to release to home video, or sub-licensing those titles to other companies in the U.S. that would release them to home video?

Actually, now that I think about it more, that question is a false dichotomy, because AoA could still stream their titles that are currently streaming-only while sub-licensing them to other companies specifically for release to home video. So, yeah, I don't understand their reasoning for just sitting on them regarding physical release, even from a pure business perspective.

You also have to look at it with regard to other things like customer loyalty. I know that AoA's typical practices really aggravate a lot of people, and I can't help but think that their selection of titles is really the main thing in their favor, because many of them are really popular. I think it would help them gain some more goodwill if they at least sub-licensed for home video those titles that they don't want to release that way themselves.

I think it honestly comes down to control and how they are weighing the effects of reverse importation. They would rather have total control and no home video release in the US for those niche titles because that way reverse importation is a non-issue. Sure, they could sub-license them out, or put them on disc themselves, but that could cause reverse importation, and the amount of money they make might not be worth it. Only the shows that are popular enough to offset the potential losses from reverse importation, are they going to bother releasing. It's a great deal for them. It just sucks for literally every consumer. Especially anyone who likes a niche Aniplex title.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:53 am Reply with quote
SejinPK wrote:
But for the ones that they aren't planning to do a physical release for, why not license those out to other companies that would?

I believe I can answer that for you. This are just my thoughts about it, but I'm pretty sure I'm right, since I've studied business management.
The reason they don't license their less popular titles to other companies is because said companies would sell them for less then AoA would sell them for. Obvious so far. In doing so they could potentially alienate their own customers who could hold out on buying AoA titles in hopes that they will license them to another company that will sell them for less. That is a risk AoA will not take, and from a business perspective I can't blame them.

Paiprince wrote:
If it weren't handling a relatively niche product, AoA would've already been sued up the eyeballs.

Sued for what? Selling THEIR product at the price they decide. Even in sue-happy America that will get laughed out of court.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:49 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
This was less an interview and more a valentine. But I guess pressing him for the millionth time on Aniplex's horrendous price-gouging is just going to have the same effect: Goto glibly dismissing price concerns because a handful of "people" (read: monsters) actually buy these releases.

If people who purchase extremely niche products for a premium price are "monsters" then what do you call ACTUAL monsters like child predators, murderer's etc...? Do these same feelings extend to people who purchase luxury cars that sell for tens of thousands more then regular consumer models or people who spend $1000+ on a night of alcohol? Or how about the actual Japanese market whose prices are easily more then double anything AoA charges for pretty much every single anime and is the market that actually matters to Japan aka the one keeping anime alive all these years, are every single one of those Japanese fans who has ever bought an anime in Japan "monsters" as well?

DmonHiro wrote:
Sued for what? Selling THEIR product at the price they decide. Even in sue-happy America that will get laughed out of court.

I own plenty of AoA releases, I'm not some diehard fangirl who attacks people who dare say they don't like AoA's prices, I don't like their prices either, but my gosh do AoA articles really bring out some really unintelligent comments haha
Dr.N0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:01 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:
This will never happen, so no need to worry Smile.
The concern some have is that they'll try to at least try to pander to a more global audience and drain away everything that's good about anime(think Hollywood). Goto's absolutely right that anime needs to stay Japanese or else it'll stop being anime.
So, if I follow your logic, Hollywood stole cinema from the poor French, and made it into a soulless profiteering machine, forever denying any creator from inside or outside the studio system from breaking their code, while ensuring that India and China will continue to blindly gobble the stuff, is that correct? I am sure Spielberg and Scorsese are having a good laugh from that in Cannes. Meanwhile, Japan does not care.

Please, can somebody explain to me how anime becoming mainstream (scoop: it already is, that is why Hollywood has taken an interest, and certainly not the other way around) has ever had damaging consequences on the medium? Because that is not what recent scholarship (surprise, the humanities and social sciences are not useless) supports.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:28 am Reply with quote
Dr.N0 wrote:
Because that is not what recent scholarship (surprise, the humanities and social sciences are not useless) supports.

With all due respect – and absolutely no disrespect intended – may I trouble you to to provide citations?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:05 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Dr.N0"]
Polycell wrote:
Please, can somebody explain to me how anime becoming mainstream (scoop: it already is, that is why Hollywood has taken an interest, and certainly not the other way around) has ever had damaging consequences on the medium? Because that is not what recent scholarship (surprise, the humanities and social sciences are not useless) supports.
Do not think of it in terms of mainstream, as that is entirely irrelevant.
The problem people see is that if they decided that they should gear what they make towards an American market. Which leads to 2 problems, the first is they don't have a clear understanding of what a global audience wants, and just have to go off sale trends. The other is that people got into Anime because it was so different, for better and for worse. So the idea of it being altered, and loosing what makes it what it is, in favour of a more detestable product, is worrying(I could not picture a show like Mushishi being made in that sort of environment).
Now that's just speculation, but it's a fair guess to make, and honestly doesn't seem off of what could be. It may be nice to see something like 91 Days, that's set in America, which works great as a rarity, but if that was nearly every show, you would get pretty bored fast.
Dr.N0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:01 pm Reply with quote
[quote="nobahn"]
Dr.N0 wrote:
With all due respect – and absolutely no disrespect intended – may I trouble you to to provide citations?
It will be my pleasure, and definitely not a bother at all. My thesis' project is long overdue, and I am finalizing it as we speak, so I would appreciate a grace period of a couple hours. I will go through my bibliography, and edit this post with what is relevant.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6