• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digimon Adventure tri. Films' English Dub Casts Mona Marshall, Cristina Vee, Kate Higgins

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:33 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Hypeathon wrote:
One voice cast that will make me curious is Mimi. At this point, I'm not as concerned that Philece Sampler can reprise her role since she most recently voiced elderly Toph in the Legend of Korra. But that's the thing, she voiced elderly Toph. Can she still pull off young, girly and eccentric? Also, I think a bigger concern than Tai/Taichi's voice for me in terms of reprising roles is Jo's voice. Michael Lindsay stopped voice acting at around... 2012, I think? I know this because in the middle of both the Bleach and Naruto Shippuden dubs, his roles were replaced by Doug Erholtz.

I still think Philece could probably do it, it's not like she was super young when she did Mimi to begin with (she was born in '56, she was already into her 40s when she voiced Digimon characters), but you perhaps also forget that she also voiced Cody in 02 (and Mimi again as well, though she rarely shows up anyway), two of the most different voices in the first two seasons were both voiced by the same person. When I saw her as old Toph, I got excited because she got more voice acting to prove awesomeness. Looks like she's doing some additional voices for Miraculous Ladybug too, so she has done recent things. I know she's probably into her 60s now, but I'd still say the chance that she could pull it off is still there.

Shame about Michael Lindsay just kind of dropping off though, I liked his work. Does Doug Erholtz sound similar enough though? He's certainly gotten practice. He also did TK in 02 (and given age, that would be the one they'd need back, not Wendee Lee who did young TK with Kari, Lara Jill Miller did both anyway), and Joe's sibling Jim, so maybe it would be possible? Hopefully he'll at least do TK again.

she has been voicing Taokaka in the Blazblue games.She can pull off young characters just fine.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:41 am Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:

I really wish people would actually know what they talk about before implying stuff. Watch the first episode of the original Adventure dub. Its established that the dubs names are nicknames and not outright replacements, no doubt intended to match the lip flaps of the original Japanese version.

Just because a 2 second text box appears in the first episode doesn't change the fact they're called their dub names 100% of the time and are never once addressed by the original names. Is a throwaway blurb really worth arguing over?

And it's already been confirmed the English script and music will be altered in order to be more like the dub.

-Stuart Smith
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:43 am Reply with quote
Prodigious! I have a feeling that if we do end up seeing a BD release of the English dub, it'll end up being sometime next year. Assuming the same company releasing it in theaters will also give it a home video release.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:54 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

Just because a 2 second text box appears in the first episode doesn't change the fact they're called their dub names 100% of the time and are never once addressed by the original names. Is a throwaway blurb really worth arguing over?

And it's already been confirmed the English script and music will be altered in order to be more like the dub.

-Stuart Smith

1) Sora, Mimi and Joe ( although the last one is just spelt differently than the original) still retain their original names. The only ones that got changed were Taichi's last name ( and being reffered to Tai more than Taichi), Hikari getting shortened to Kari, T.K's being a smashed together initial of his original and Mat basically being taken from Yamato. It is relevant as people act like there's issue with altering names to match lip sync while still keeping the originals.

2) Do you have a source? All I know is that the theme's a new rendition of the dub theme, for better or worse. I've yet to hear anything regarding the scripting or voice director.
AceLuffy4Ever

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:06 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Lynx Amali wrote:

I really wish people would actually know what they talk about before implying stuff. Watch the first episode of the original Adventure dub. Its established that the dubs names are nicknames and not outright replacements, no doubt intended to match the lip flaps of the original Japanese version.

-Stuart Smith

it has already been confirmed that the dub will be in the same tone and style of the japanese version so no censorship, the dub will be getting all new ENGLISH MUSIC and its good they are keeping their dub nicknames to remain consistent since they are catering to ENGLISH fans, you can just stick to the subs if this bother you so much, i for one am looking forward to this

http://comicsverse.com/digimon-tri-american-release/
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:18 am Reply with quote
AceLuffy4Ever wrote:

it has already been confirmed that the dub will be in the same tone and style of the japanese version so no censorship, the dub will be getting all new ENGLISH MUSIC and its good they are keeping their dub nicknames to remain consistent since they are catering to ENGLISH fans, you can just stick to the subs if this bother you so much, i for one am looking forward to this

http://comicsverse.com/digimon-tri-american-release/

This so much.

Sorry but really, I dont understand why people want an "uncut" [keep original names] dub of Tri when 01 and 02 dont have such a thing? It would litterally make no sense to dub it using their original Japanese names when everyone who watches the dubs likes their dub names anyway. This dub is for the old dub fans. Original Japanese fans have the Japanese version on crunchyroll readily available. Besides even if it was an "uncut" dub, I doubt sub elitists would watch it anyway and find something else to complain about. The existance of this dub does not automatically erase the original Japanese version, so let the dub fans have their perfered way of watching it as the sub fans have their way as well.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:21 am Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Stuart Smith wrote:

-Stuart Smith

1) Sora, Mimi and Joe ( although the last one is just spelt differently than the original) still retain their original names. The only ones that got changed were Taichi's last name ( and being referred to Tai more than Taichi), Hikari getting shortened to Kari, T.K's being a smashed together initial of his original and Mat basically being taken from Yamato. It is relevant as people act like there's issue with altering names to match lip sync while still keeping the originals.

2) Do you have a source? All I know is that the theme's a new rendition of the dub theme, for better or worse. I've yet to hear anything regarding the scripting or voice director.

I honestly don't think the lip syncs are the problem. Not including kids anime, almost all dubs nowadays sync up the lip movements just fine without having to change the names of the characters.

I also think the reason for kids anime resorting to name change is so children watching them won't be confused on how to pronounce sometimes long Japanese names and/or they want children to believe what they're watching is an American cartoon by giving characters English sounding names.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:45 am Reply with quote
Digimon dubs will be forever doomed in the music department, I guess. It just kills whatever momentum a "style-and-tone-accurate" script tries to deliver. Also, "Biyomon" and "Gatomon."
AceLuffy4Ever

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:54 am Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
Digimon dubs will be forever doomed in the music department, I guess. It just kills whatever momentum a "style-and-tone-accurate" script tries to deliver. Also, "Biyomon" and "Gatomon."

The digimon dub music is loved and praised amongst English fans, Biyomon and Gatomon are much better than Piyomon and Tailmon, Tailmon is such an uncreative name while Gatomon was unique to use American people and rolled off the tongue nicely
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:58 am Reply with quote
Wow, Colleen was the one member of the original dub cast who I was most confident would come back, but I wasn't expecting them to bring back Mona Marshall as Izzy.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:51 am Reply with quote
Francesco Vitiello wrote:
Christina Vee/Shantae is Meiko and Kate Higggins/Tails is Meicomoon?! Shocked Very Happy

Kate hasn't been Tails since 2013, that role had since went to Colleen O'Shaughnessey starting with the Sonic Boom series.

Last edited by NJ_ on Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:55 am Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
I also think the reason for kids anime resorting to name change is so children watching them won't be confused on how to pronounce sometimes long Japanese names and/or they want children to believe what they're watching is an American cartoon by giving characters English sounding names.

It's definitely so that kids would have an easier time remembering some of the names. Note though they kept their surnames Japanese, with the exeception of Tai's which I remember reading was due to a mistranslation of the kanji. And they do make it clear that Izzy is a nickname at least once. I re-watched the dub for the 4th time of my life, and there's a moment where Izzy's mom called him "Izumi."

What I like most about the Digimon dubs in general is that at far as kid's anime go, they barely change anything. Apart from the shifting the names around, removing some unexessary scenes for running time, and a few ad-libs that didn't make sense here and there (which were way more prevelant in the first few episodes of Adventures), the setting and every conflict were kept in tact. The kids are Japanese and they are from Japan, and they're going through a tough time. So I have no doubt that tri's script will be faithful, I just hope it has the same essence of "fun" that the original dub did.

The one complaint I do have about the dub is that some jokes just shouldn't be there. I do love the humor in the dub and I think it makes the show more entertaining.

But when the final boss Apoclymon popped out and declared "I am the ultimate evil, COMPETE WITH HOT AND COLD RUNNING WATER" as the camera panned down to the tubes on his crotch, I definitely couldn't take him as seriously as I should have. Maybe back when I was 5 year old, but as an adult it's just funny and really makes him less intimidating. So if the tri dub can avoid making mistakes like that, I think it'll be fine.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:18 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
I'm so excited for this and I certainly look forward to watching Tri in theaters with my friends. Also I hope that the can retain as much of the original English cast as possible. Very Happy

Same here! I'm absolutely thrilled to see they're "getting the band back together" so to speak. Very Happy
sakuramusicstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:18 am Reply with quote
Here's more information and updates about Tri with links to confirm some of the information provided.

http://withthewill.net/threads/16193-tri-Dub-Info-and-Theater-Updates-New-Discussion-Thread

Think Tood might be Joe?

Last edited by sakuramusicstar on Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:59 am Reply with quote
I seriously hope my home town in WI doesn't get passed on the movie screenings even still once physicals hit the shelves I'm picking them all up, also after looking at the link posted by sakuramusicstar and seeing a preview for the dub I kinda wished they left the music alone but that's just my opinion
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4