• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Merriam-Webster Has Noticed 'Senpai' for Possible Dictionary Addition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Too bad that many that find out about the term senpai won't know that it's a Japanese term...
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm legitimately scared.
Nice Tea

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Pewdiepie... Oooh, the guy who has a dakimakura in his supercar? Laughing
Does that mean they will become mainstream as seat covers soon? Laughing Laughing Laughing
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone actually seen someone in an anime say something like "I hope senpai will notice me?", or is it really just a Dead Unicorn Trope? The only anime that I can recall that even mentioned "senpai" was Planetes, which used it in the sense of a relatively senior worker showing a new co-worker the ropes.
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:38 pm Reply with quote
This is funny and I hope they do it. You guys need to chill.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I love that the "Y U NO" face is taken from Gantz. Laughing
kameoosama

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:55 pm Reply with quote
notrogersmith wrote:
Has anyone actually seen someone in an anime say something like "I hope senpai will notice me?", or is it really just a Dead Unicorn Trope? The only anime that I can recall that even mentioned "senpai" was Planetes, which used it in the sense of a relatively senior worker showing a new co-worker the ropes.

Kouhais crushing on oblivious senpais are pretty common in anime that take place in high schools (which is you know, most of them,) but that phrase is definitely invented in fandom. It's not something the main character usually does though, so half the time you won't have the crush specifically addressed unless the show is building romance plotlines for its secondary/ tertiary characters. But it's definitely there a lot.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Sigh, I think the MWD is becoming crap now. I mean considering the amount of BS they've shoved into so far from the f**knuggets. But c'mon, "sempai"?

Well, I can almost accept it more than other crap.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:57 pm Reply with quote
notrogersmith wrote:
The only anime that I can recall that even mentioned "senpai" was Planetes, which used it in the sense of a relatively senior worker showing a new co-worker the ropes.

As noted, its really common if you listen to the Japanese. If you want to see an "actual" explanation of the term, you can listen to Sean Connery explain it in "Rising Sun"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU5LEWi9wQY
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Pray to whatever shinto gods that people here don't further bastardize this as zem-pie as in "Zem-pie sur smeal gud...". Only 'n "Murika!!!
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:39 pm Reply with quote
notrogersmith wrote:
The only anime that I can recall that even mentioned "senpai" was Planetes, which used it in the sense of a relatively senior worker showing a new co-worker the ropes.

Are you joking? If you were to randomly pick a series, you have a significantly higher chance that it does mention 'senpai' than that it doesn't. Any series with a school is pretty much guaranteed to mention it. It is also really common in anime with any kind of office setting.

That said, I don't really think they should use a meme to define the word and officially add it to a dictionary...

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
VivianB wrote:
You have got to be kidding. Senpai means "Elder" not "one who doesn't notice me".

But in general seeing memes or internet lingo seep into real life is always cringeworthy. Now I imagine we'll get people calling younger people senpai and using the word incorrectly like so many others before it.

The reality is that every generation looks at the up-and-coming language additions and cringe. For instance, THOT and thirsty drives me insane, but there's no denying it's part of the current colloquialism so I've made my peace with it. I suggest others do the same.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 2:01 am Reply with quote
After Noah Webster died in 1843, George and Charles Merriam founded the G & C Merriam Co. After being bought by in '64 by Encyclopedia Britannica, the company got its current name in '82. I don't really trust any dictionary carrying Webster's name (it became a generic trademark) that isn't this company.
Remington Steele

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:55 am Reply with quote
Why the fudge does that idiot pewdiepie get credit for the use of the word when it's been used longer than he's been around. I want that word to die now. :/
meruru

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:57 am Reply with quote
Mostly I think considering adding the word to the dictionary is dumb because it's just a meme being used by a certain subculture. It's not like the word "dox" where we basically need a word to refer a new act made possible by the internet. It's only used to refer to a very specific trope that doesn't even exist so much in the consciousness of Western pop culture. It's like suggesting chuninbyou be in the dictionary to me. They should leave the pop culture words to urban dictionary.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3