• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yuki Kajiura Returns to Compose Music For Heaven's Feel Film Trilogy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kotelo_

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:49 am Reply with quote
magvis wrote:
In the article the writer ends it with: "Heaven's Feel" is a route from the original Fate/stay night visual novel."

What the heck does that mean? Or should the world have been "retelling" and not "route". Help?

It means you should read more about how Visual Novels work.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:59 am Reply with quote
magvis wrote:
In the article the writer ends it with: "Heaven's Feel" is a route from the original Fate/stay night visual novel."

What the heck does that mean? Or should the world have been "retelling" and not "route". Help?

Visual novels have multiple storylines (routes). Fate/Stay Night has 3: Fate, Unlimited Blade Works and Heaven's Feel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:00 pm Reply with quote
magvis wrote:

You know what a "Choose your own adventure" story is, right? Visual novels work that way usually, with the story changing depending on the choices of the player. Fate/Stay Night has 3 separate story possibilities (aka routes).
-Ana-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Kajiura's best soundtrack imo is still Pandora Hearts soundtrack. Too bad people slept on that.
jesusalcala11

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:04 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Kajiura did the UBW EDs? I thought that was Kalafina.

Kajiura writes, composes, and arranges all Kalafina songs, while also being their producer.
kotelo_ wrote:
ANN likes to w*nk Kajiura a bit because they love her, same with Urobuchi. Even if she worked for Kalafina in the EDs, saying only "Kajiura" completely disregards their value as musicians.

The article is about Kajiura, not Kalafina. I'm willing to bet they will announce that Kalafina will be doing the endings or openings, and then at that point ANN will write a similar article of how Kalafina was involved with the Fate series.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:41 pm Reply with quote
jesusalcala11 wrote:
Kajiura writes, composes, and arranges all Kalafina songs, while also being their producer.

Huh.

Learn something new every day.
levonr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Honestly I'd rather have Kawai back. I find Kajiura's version of the game music to be kinda meh.

Yeah Kawai's music had impact and was powerful but Kajiura's music while still great I found to surprisingly be mostly lackluster besides a few tracks here and there. Her music seems even more subdued than it used to be. Her Fate music is not as aggressive as Kawai's so maybe that was the point but thats not what I prefer.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:45 pm Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
Bringing Kajiura back for Heaven's Feel is an interesting choice. I hope this isn't ufotable's way of saying this is the true sequel to F/Z. Heaven's Feel is a lot of things but I've always found it to be a terrible follow-up to F/Z.

You seriously think so? All the lingering story elements from Fate/Zero come full-circle in Heaven's Feel in a way they never do in the other routes, and even the story's dark atmosphere feels like it matches with Fate/Zero's tone, if elevated. I couldn't help but get the sense Gen Orobuchi wrote Fate/Zero as a direct prequel to that specific route.
Either way, awesome on Kajiura's return! Even if much of her music does sound the same, it's still beautiful music regardless.
macattack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:27 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
You seriously think so? All the lingering story elements from Fate/Zero come full-circle in Heaven's Feel in a way they never do in the other routes, and even the story's dark atmosphere feels like it matches with Fate/Zero's tone, if elevated. I couldn't help but get the sense Gen Orobuchi wrote Fate/Zero as a direct prequel to that specific route.
Either way, awesome on Kajiura's return! Even if much of her music does sound the same, it's still beautiful music regardless.

I guess I am looking at it from the perspective of Saber's story, as I consider her to be the "main character" of the series. Heaven's Feel spoiler[does not end very well for her.]
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:58 pm Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
I guess I am looking at it from the perspective of Saber's story, as I consider her to be the "main character" of the series. Heaven's Feel spoiler[does not end very well for her.]

Hmm, I actually haven't thought of Saber as the main character before, just one of the pivotal ones who happened to have stuck around the whole way through in what was primarily an ensemble epic. spoiler[But I agree, it seems she was cursed to being a tragic hero character in this particular storyline, and I certainly prefer her outcome in the UBW series. But since they added content to the UBW series, one can certainly hope some elements will be added to the movie that give the sense of Saber finding at least some kind of redemption despite everything, but we'll just have to wait and see.]
Sploradorali

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:26 am Reply with quote
Not really seeing why people are hating on this decision, but I suppose it's a matter of taste. I found Kenji Kawai's UBW film soundtrack a little jarring, and while Hideyuki Fukasawa's UBW series score was incredibly suiting, it wouldn't match the tone of Heaven's Feel. Both composers were pretty good for the kind of story UBW was, but Heaven's Feel feels (that's annoying) a lot more like Zero than the other routes.

There's also nothing particularly wrong with calling Heaven's Feel the successor of Fate/Zero, because in many ways it is. Fate/Zero's many themes and character arcs are fleshed out most thoroughly in HF.

Also, Kajiura is probably the most prestigious and iconic anime composer of the past 2 decades, and she has excellent composition talent (which even spills into FictionJunction and Kalafina). Any score with Kajiura's name on it is guaranteed to be great, even if the anime itself isn't. As a fan of Fate/stay night and Fate/Zero, I'm pretty stoked to see her back and I find this to be the best possible scenario in terms of HF's music.
TrueZangetsu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:08 am Reply with quote
This is already my most wanted anime film of 2017. Will be hard to find something I'm looking forward to more
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:43 am Reply with quote
I like both Kawai Kenji's and Kajiura Yuki's scores; each offers a different take on the source material, and give it a personal taste.

Raebo101 wrote:
KH91 wrote:
All according to keikaku.

Keikaku means plan.

The classics never die Smile
tastytacoman23

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:24 am Reply with quote
Sploradorali wrote:
Not really seeing why people are hating on this decision, but I suppose it's a matter of taste. I found Kenji Kawai's UBW film soundtrack a little jarring, and while Hideyuki Fukasawa's UBW series score was incredibly suiting, it wouldn't match the tone of Heaven's Feel. Both composers were pretty good for the kind of story UBW was, but Heaven's Feel feels (that's annoying) a lot more like Zero than the other routes.

There's also nothing particularly wrong with calling Heaven's Feel the successor of Fate/Zero, because in many ways it is. Fate/Zero's many themes and character arcs are fleshed out most thoroughly in HF.

Also, Kajiura is probably the most prestigious and iconic anime composer of the past 2 decades, and she has excellent composition talent (which even spills into FictionJunction and Kalafina). Any score with Kajiura's name on it is guaranteed to be great, even if the anime itself isn't. As a fan of Fate/stay night and Fate/Zero, I'm pretty stoked to see her back and I find this to be the best possible scenario in terms of HF's music.

I was kinding hoping either hoping Taku Iwasaki, Yoko Kanno, or Tomomi Teratani(the dude that created that fantastic theme song to the game D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die). I really like OST'S that not only fit the mood of a certain form of art, but also to have a good amount of music genres and sound really good that it could stand on it's own and be very memorable.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:54 am Reply with quote
Fate/stay Night, UBW movie (I.. think? I don't remember all that well), Fate/zero and UBW TV series have all had good soundtrack so I have no doubts about the music regardless of who the composer is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3