• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: IBM Japan Reveals Sword Art Online Virtual Reality MMO Project

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shinou91

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:36 pm Reply with quote
They should add .hack, i would like to see it. I prefer .hack more
CBongo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Probably safer to wait for Alfheim Online...
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Until IBM decides to stop being a bunch of HACKS and develop the tech for me to actually full dive and fry my brain with an oculus rift if I die in the game I will not be buying this piece of garbage. Wink
SMKurama

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:27 pm Reply with quote
well... if this turns out good, i won't have a life anymore..... Rolling Eyes
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Watson as a raid boss or no deal.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:37 am Reply with quote
Just to be mean, they should remove the Logout button during the first hour of launch.
Akaime

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:40 am Reply with quote
[expletive] finally a real company sponsors this. Can't wait to see how the VR technology advances and will surely buy this freaking game! Pumped as fudge.
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:51 am Reply with quote
I'm not a SAO fan, but I am a fan of both MMORPG's and VR. (Ironic, isn't it?)

I think a project like this could have potential.

Imagine a game that has the immersive sound design of GTAV, environments with pretty lighting such as this, or living in a house with your waifu/husbando in a place that looks just as real as this? The character models could even look like they do in the cut scenes of previous games if they use Live2D Euclid, at least that's my theory anyway.

Could IBM even fund something like that?
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:02 am Reply with quote
Glad to see someone is finally pushing the next generation of true MMOs. VR was the next logical step, but it isn't cheap.

So many possibilities once we reached the commercial stage, where our favorite genres or series is made V-Real. Can't wait.
Mexican Batman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:58 am Reply with quote
IBM are Argus!
Calsolum

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:05 am Reply with quote
this looks pretty damn cool but im not all that excited for it. I mean its a small step but its gonna be a long time till it gets released to the public and even then its probably gonna cost a fortune. Then if you decide to play online you'd need a really fast internet. and lets not forget the potential of this technology at least a good portion of people using this will start doing stupid things with it and make any community acidic.

virtual reality looks good on paper and makes for an entertaining story (cept wehen it goes horribly wrong 99% of the time) but real life application isn't going to be nearly as enjoyble as you'd think.

well heres to hoping im wrong and this is the beginning of the next best generation of gaming
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:33 am Reply with quote
Why do I get the feeling that people think this is going to be a Full Dive game?

Seriously guys? Fully immersive technology would have been advertised in a form other than an SAO game. We're years, probably decades away from such technology.

Putting that aside, this looks cool. I don't really play MMOs cause my internet connection can suuuuuuuck at times, but I think I'd like to check this out.

Provided the VR components get a bit cheaper. Not gonna spend 600euros on an Oculus Rift just so I'll end up playing a couple of games.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:07 am Reply with quote
Not excited with VR, it kinda an old technology.
Remembered what happened to Nintendo Virtual Boy?
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:25 am Reply with quote
The timing on this is perfect! Yes, VR is super expensive and this game probably won't be that great as the first real VR MMORPG, but let the early adopters worry about that. What makes this perfect is it'll more likely be tested by VR enthusiasts that know way more about this type of stuff than the people complaining about the price. And when the game is finally in an ideal playable form (or even one that other VR MMORPGs will want to copy) the consumer price for VR should be much, much lower.

I was really worried that they'd start experimenting with this stuff later in the life of modern VR, but starting this early means a better game when we can all afford to play. I'll look forward to playing this in three or four years.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Drunk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:30 am Reply with quote
This isn't even close to a technology like Full Dive, so don't get your hopes up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3