• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Level-5 CEO Wants Greater International Push for Yo-kai Watch

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I've enjoyed the game of Yōkai Watch quite well. Other than the befriending system being a bit flawed (it took many battles to befriend higher-ranking Yōkai, particularly those in the C-A ranks), I found the game to be a fun experience with its automated battle system and side quests.

I just wonder Level-5 is going to handle Yōkai Watch 3 with the initial game having been Americanized, despite the former's story already occurring in the U.S...
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:02 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
Sorry, Level-5. I'm waiting for you to return to the awesome RPGs you were known for that were amazing... Dark Cloud, Dark Chronicle, Rogue Galaxy... And no, White Knight Chronicles is NOT a replacement for Dark Cloud 3, Hino.

Dark Cloud is anything but awesome.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:

I just wonder Level-5 is going to handle Yōkai Watch 3 with the initial game having been Americanized, despite the former's story already occurring in the U.S...

They'll just accommodate have the game take place in the U.S. I mean why break the pattern just because.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:26 am Reply with quote
While I don't watch the series, play the games, or read the manga, I think that you shouldn't let Hollywood get it's hands on it. As it has been shown, often Hollywood doing an Americanized version of an anime, even when the rights holders give the nod, there is frequently a negative reception.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:47 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Nintendo seemed to be trying to advertise as much as possible prior to the US release of Yokai Watch, but ultimately it didn't seem to make much of a splash, and reviews seemed a bit lukewarm. I like the concept of the Yokai Watch universe, but the gameplay hasn't really seemed all that interesting to me, so I've passed over it. I wonder if it might just be one of those things that's really popular in Japan, but doesn't quite capture the rest of the world's fancy as much.

I played the demo, and it is really, really different in gameplay than a regular RPG. (For those unaware, combat is automated, but you can rotate your team in and out at any time and have them do stronger moves or heal them as you need.) It's so different, it'll be jarring to people used to regular RPGs (eastern or western), and the automated combat can turn people off despite it being way deeper than it looks.

Freyanne wrote:
And They really are/were hardcore pushing Yokai Watch to be a hit in the States. The toys just now (generally speaking) started to show up at Toys R Us stores, I saw a commercial for the Yokai Watch a few days ago, and I lost count how many times I'd see the "Yo-kai Yo-kaii Yo-kaiiii Watch-chi-chi!!" commercials when I'd randomly have the channel set to Disney Junior (and, understanably, Disney Anime hyper). I'd be sad if Yokai Watch fails in the States (Jibanyan is adorable as heck), but honestly wouldn't be all that surprised. I am the only person I know that has the game, or even know about the series beyond the name, and I have only streetpassed about four people with the game since it came out.

We all know the correct answer: Put Jibanyan into Super Smash Bros. 5.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

Probably the same way they did it with Black/White in Pokemon, by ignoring it completely and making it the same as all the other games, including changing already American-esque names to other American-esque names.

As far as toys go, I have all the Yokai Watch versions so far, and while Hasbro's Watches, they're not as bad as I thought they'd be, the Japanese ones are still better. I'm more disappointed the medals aren't comparable, since some of the Japanese medals are a pain to find

-Stuart Smith
BluePikmin11R

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:39 am Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
kuzronk wrote:
KH91 wrote:
Well, looking at the game sales in NA... I hope you try harder.

Blame the Yo-Kai

It's clearly not a pokemon rip-off or why else would the same studio/TV channel show it? Nintendo also released it in most countries.

I wish Cartoon Network got it instead of Disney Anime hyper. Would have been perfect if it came on before or after Pokemon to give it more exposure and boost.

If CN got the anime instead of Disney Anime hyper, we wouldn't have gotten the writers responsible for the high quality dub. Imagine CN getting and YW getting just average ok writing, I rather have the former.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:02 am Reply with quote
To myu knowledge, most TV screenwriters are not tied to networks in particular, just TV shows. In the case of the Yo-kai Watch anime, whoever does the English adaptation will not change regardless of which channel it's on. They'll be subject to different rules from S&P and possibly executives, but that's about it.
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Question: When are we going to get an proper Canadian dub of Yo-Kai Watch? That would be nice just like they did it with DBZ in Canada.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2