• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Circulating Photos Claim to Show Anno, Higuchi's New Godzilla

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:18 pm Reply with quote
I've never considered Godzilla as "horrifying"... in the first movie he seemed more like a walking natural disaster, and a lot of the movies have been campy or even fun. If they were aiming for scary here I think they might have missed the mark (maybe a little too fake-looking to take seriously), but I'll probably have to see the movie to see how it actually comes across.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Ulinox wrote:
-98 American version looked better.

The 1998 American version was just a giant lizard, didn't even have Godzilla's trademark radiation breath. If you are making a Godzilla movie it at least has to look like Godzilla.

I actually liked Cloverfield over Broderick's Godzilla.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:43 pm Reply with quote
yusuke19 wrote:
Why does Godzilla look like he forgot to turn off the oven. lol

These comments tonight are killing me. I guess Godzilla is a result of a nuclear meltdown.

I won't like that scary face is scary "OS".
levonr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
I've never considered Godzilla as "horrifying"... in the first movie he seemed more like a walking natural disaster, and a lot of the movies have been campy or even fun. If they were aiming for scary here I think they might have missed the mark (maybe a little too fake-looking to take seriously), but I'll probably have to see the movie to see how it actually comes across.

There are different depictions. In the 70's he was mostly a hero but otherwise for the most part I lean slightly toward the bad side(especially his early movies). He is a giant monster after all.

One of my top favorite is from 2001 where he is pure evil and it pays some homage to the first movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0279112/
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Godzilla looks like he skipped arm day at the gym.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Moan, groan and complain... that's all that people are doing in this.

Sorry, folks. This is made for Japanese audiences, not the west and not the world. Don't like it? Don't watch it.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:45 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Ulinox wrote:
-98 American version looked better.

The 1998 American version was just a giant lizard, didn't even have Godzilla's trademark radiation breath. If you are making a Godzilla movie it at least has to look like Godzilla.

I actually liked Cloverfield over Broderick's Godzilla.

He's probably referring to Gareth Edward's Godzilla from a year or so ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:04 am Reply with quote
To be fair the original Godzilla movie was scary for it's time. To us nowadays the idea of a giant monster woken by the birth of the atomic age is not a new idea, nor is the kaiju concept new. All our fiction has tons of good and bad dragons, and the 'Godzilla destroys Tokyo' idea is so common that it is a joke now. For people in a country that had whole cities firebombed out, and several cities wiped off the map by singular bombs, I would say that such a monster would be scary.

The fact the Tsunami from 2011 is being quoted as inspiration, (with the resulting nuclear fallout from Fukushima as another aspect of that) I'd say the Japanese have a legit inspiration to source it as an inspiration for the franchise returning to its roots.

This'd be like a Zelda game throwing out all the timeline and story stuff and go back to making a game where you explore random caves and follow vague clues to complete the quest.
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:46 am Reply with quote
Someone please call up Weasel from the Deadpool movie so he can make a list of what Japanese Godzilla looks like.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:43 am Reply with quote
So did someone sneak onto the Godzilla film set when everyone was on their lunch break and took these pictures of the new Godzilla or is this just Anno teasing us. Confused
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:22 am Reply with quote
So they're officially doing Freddy vs Godzilla?

OK, Anno, as long as he's 200 plus feet tall, secondary details are not important. But's that as long as it looks like Godzilla, not EVA 7. Or an iguana but that's not important right now.

Were lips too expensive?

Red scaring? Sounds about right. Red scarring as well.

I'd say the Godzilla/Titans relationship has come full circle... except they're based more on anatomy models than Godzilla so basing Godzilla on human anatomy models is, umm, dumb. Oh look, we can see his muscle structure, who knew those indestructible G cells weren't...

The most positive thing I can say is that it's still better than Son of Godzilla's frog head design. But if that's an honest baseline, you fail creature design for the year 2016.

Godzilla is a worldwide property and it has been since Godzilla King of the Monsters. I'm not going to go lightly on the combination of my least favorite anime director, my second least favorite Godzilla director and the "Oh crap, Godzilla 2014 wasn't supposed to be Godzilla" sentiment that "True Godzilla" embodies on my favorite movies series.

Godzilla transforms? No.

Look, it's the epitome of the "immovable object", the "unstoppable force". Hell, Raymond Burr's "I'm not Steve" Martin character from Godzilla 1985 has a better idea of what it is than these guys.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:44 am Reply with quote
Man, that's look worse than Godzilla 2014.
I hope this is just a prank.
GEO9875

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Giraffezilla looking real sharp there.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:11 am Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
One day everyone is minding their own damn business in Tokyo, then an 800 foot lizard shows up and starts trashing the Tokyo tower.

Everyone isn't "minding their own business"--
A nasty theme-park promoter is planning to exploit a giant egg, while a "prophetess from Venus", who looks like an escaped foreign princess, prophecies doom from space, and secretly evolved apes plan to use Mechagodzilla in their conquest of Earth, unless an over imaginative kid can use all his daydreams about Minilla to give him an idea for escaping from kidnappers, but his inventor grandfather invents a giant flying robot to combat the invading Atlantean army, and then some guys in a car are tracking Godzilla like the storm team in Twister, while a psychic girl helps out a strike force team that looks like the one from Pacific Rim, so they can stop the ancient buried alien that's trying to steal all the world's computer data for the cool-looking aliens in the black Matrix jackets, while the weird alien who keeps holding his pinky up is in cahoots with the evil American future-men who went back in time to try and stop Japan's boom-economy...

...By the time Godzilla shows up, he's kinda beside the point.

Last edited by EricJ2 on Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:37 am Reply with quote
They even had a movie where space aliens were shrinking humans to action figure size and putting them into a briefcase that could hold six shrunken humans. Nothing to explain why they couldn't move or how they could breathe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3