• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press Licenses Asterisk War, Re:Zero Manga, Light Novels

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Ooooooooooooooooh, Haimura art.

And given that I like what I've read of the Sword Oratoria manga, I might have to pick the LNs as well. I guess I'll put them next to my main series DanMachi LNs.

As for LNs getting licensed:

I like buying the series that I really like because it helps ease my rampant leecher guilt, but it's really sucked waiting over two years for Volume 6 to even be close to coming out, especially when the fan translations were midway through it. Such is life as an LN fan, though.

Besides, reading a PDF on a laptop can't compare to turning the pages myself.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:38 pm Reply with quote
GiriOni wrote:
Yeah me as well. I mean I read fan translations, but I gotta say, ALL official translations are significantly better. Well maybe not all, but I haven't found an instance where the FT was better than the OT.

Oh, I've seen some pretty bad official translations -- NGNL made me wonder if an editor had even looked it over, and there's a company that's publishing Hiroshi Mori's short stories (the Perfect Insider author) and I don't think anyone involved speaks English as a first language (there are lots of telltales, like pluralizing collective nouns). And I've seen a few fan translations that are good enough that a professional editor could probably polish them into publishable form.

But on the whole, only the highest level fan works match the lowest quality OTs. But the audience for these books don't care -- they wonder why Yen doesn't pump out an entire twenty book series in one year. Fan translators can translate one volume in a month, so why can't a professional do one in two weeks?
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Oh come on Yen Press. Why don't you license series that are already concluded and good. I mean you did a great job with getting the rights to Durarara and A Certain Magical Index. I just wish they get the rights to these popular series that are pretty much concluded.

Shakugan No Shana
Zero No Tsukaima
Baka and Test
Toradora
Dangan Ronpa Zero and Danganronpa Kirigiri
Etc.
maxwell3094

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:31 pm Reply with quote
KamikazeJawa wrote:

Edit: lol top comment on the /r/LightNovels is "hate this. they license novels that is getting fans-translations, they should license a novel which isnt translated by fans ... dammint. this is only the beginning" never change /r/LightNovels, never change...

Man reading that quote is just so sad when you actually take a look at what was licensed here. Re: Zero? Totally untranslated. Nanodesu had only JUST picked it up. The translator didn't even start on the 2nd chapter yet. That is f***ing amazing! I can kind of sympathize with people being impatient when an LN gets picked up that has already progressed far with fan translations. But something totally new? YES YES OH MY GOD YES! The best part is that for all the complaining about translation speed people do OTs move at a pretty all right speed and are CONSISTENT. Just look at all the practically dead projects hosted on baka. Whenever I see these announcements there are a number I series that I pray to see listed.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:40 pm Reply with quote
What they do with some novel like SAO: progressive, DanMachie is good. What they did with Mahouka is horrible, get license, but never release a volume so far.

Complaining about translation speed has been here since manga. Viz fixes this issue. They are releasing vols in much faster pace right now. Yen is just too damn slow, some LN has like 13 to 15 vols and Japan gets 3 to 4 vols per year. You can't just release 3 vols pre year here. You will never catch up.

Many of the time, the translation was done for months to half year. the company just don'the want to release it.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:16 pm Reply with quote
maxwell3094 wrote:
Just look at all the practically dead projects hosted on baka. Whenever I see these announcements there are a number I series that I pray to see listed.

Unexplored Summon://Blood Sign never ;__;
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Yen is just too damn slow, some LN has like 13 to 15 vols and Japan gets 3 to 4 vols per year. You can't just release 3 vols pre year here. You will never catch up.

Here's an interview with one of the translators:

http://englishlightnovels.com/2015/11/12/interview-with-ln-translator-stephen-paul/

The guy's working on three LN series -- SAO, Progressive and Durarara -- plus all the related manga. If you look at the release schedules, that means he has to finish about one novel per month. What exactly do you think he and Yen can do to speed up the process?

Quote:

Many of the time, the translation was done for months to half year. the company just don'the want to release it.

That's how real publishing works. Editing takes time and print runs have to be scheduled months in advance.
Calculus20

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:00 am Reply with quote
What a disappointment. Hope Yen Press licenses some actually good titles next time. I think they're hinting at more announcements later this week. Hoping for FMP with the new anime being announced, F/Z, Tokyo Ravens, or Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:13 am Reply with quote
@Utsuro no Hako,

Hire more part time translators or don't licence so many novels.
Tawinese version can be translated and print out in a month.
You can't license something and don't release a vol for so long like Mahouka.

Or if you are not really, just don't announce anything until you are ready to release it.. didn't announced the license of Mahouka in like March, we still have see a vol yet and no release in sight. Why don't they announce it next year? It will pissed off less fans. They are probably going to make many overlord fans made with this again.
myskaros

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:33 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
@Utsuro no Hako,

Hire more part time translators or don't licence so many novels.
Tawinese version can be translated and print out in a month.
You can't license something and don't release a vol for so long like Mahouka.

They have to find someone, first of all, then verify their skill/quality. There are problems with consistency if multiple people work on the same series. Getting them translated faster does not mean the market is ready for more books, you still have to print them and get them on a release schedule.

Your train of thought is based more on mass-market when light novels are still incredibly niche in the United States. There are no rules for Yen Press to follow, they are still pushing the boundaries and trying to find their limits. Until other publishers start licensing more light novels, YP has a lot of leeway to find their sweet spot, but that naturally comes with a few mistakes here and there. Expecting perfection will always leave you disappointed.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:07 am Reply with quote
I think in the case of light novels publication companies should consider offering the translators a cut of the revenue with an advance instead of a flat rate and employee full time editors, more like traditional book publishing.

It doesn't work for manga because it requires to many people but for light novels I think it would attract higher quality translators and get the books released faster as well.

Great translators like Stephen Paul are rare and most of the ones working are underplayed and under appreciated (which is why official translation quality can vary so much). Giving the translators a cut would also help sales: I could see certain translators making a decent name for themselves as light novel translator and people might buy a certain series because they trust that translator.

I hope the industry moves toward this direction as it grows.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:42 am Reply with quote
Like I said earlier, it's not all about the ability to get the books out quickly. They can get them out quickly, but they don't want to. Getting a lot of books out quickly is what did Tokyopop in, and nearly destroyed the entire US manga industry.

1 volume per series roughly every 3-4 months, giving 3-4 a year, is a very good speed. Heck, manga only comes out every 2-3 months, and given the amount of work for translating novels vs. manga, that's insanely good.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:24 am Reply with quote
Would've been more excited if they had picked up Chivalry of a Failed Knight instead of Asterisk War...just because that is my preference between those two "clones".

Re:Life is one that sounds interesting, but will check out the anime before I decide to pick up the book.

DanMachi was an enjoyable anime, but since it didn't get me to check out the original source, won't end up looking at a spin-off.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:34 am Reply with quote
I'm really hyped about the DanMachi spin-off. I'm really into the original (much more than the anime adaptation) and I really would like to know more about Aiz and her Familia.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:28 am Reply with quote
One of my students keeps recommending I read Re:Zero and showing me artwork (some of it seemingly spoilerific) from the novel. I considered picking it up to read, but hmm... The anime adaption still doesn't have a premier date, does it? I'd rather read it, but I obviously don't have the time to. My Japanese reading speed is juuuuust a little bit slower than my already slow-ish English reading speed, so it takes me about a week or two to finish one volume when I use all my book-reading free time (which I don't, so... three weeks?). Will the anime come out before I can at least finish one or two volumes of the novel? I'd rather consider it based on which one I can get through faster... with novel as priority if I actually have enough time to catch up first, since I'll watch the anime if I like the novel, regardless.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3