• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sailor Moon Crystal Gets 3rd Season on Death Busters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:12 am Reply with quote
Looking forward to more hilarious art direction!
epicrevenge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:24 am Reply with quote
I actually wasn't expecting this since nobody seemed to like it all that much. I guess they managed to sell a lot of new merchandise. I didn't particularly enjoy the first series but I will be watching this new series. I just hope it looks a bit better and the new characters are not a dull.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:36 am Reply with quote
Well, I guess it can't be any worse than what they've already put out.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:45 am Reply with quote
But...why?! Crystal is considered legendary for how poorly it was made.
Brand

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:46 am Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:

They aired the same episodes on tv. It was a reairing.

Did you miss this article?

I rechecked the article and it is greatly expanded from when I first posted and it wasn't very clear. Also, the the way "seasons" are being counted is weird since every site seems to list it differently.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Minimimiau

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:24 pm Reply with quote
The only thing that I want is: please do not air one episode every 2 or 3 weeks!
bigivel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
But...why?! Crystal is considered legendary for how poorly it was made.

This in the western internet! And even in there is just a very vocal group of people that hate it. I know of a lot of people that liked/love it and they didn't post as many times or even none about the series.

About Toei decision you have 2 big things. This is a 20th anniversary project of one of the most popular franchises of the studio, a franchise that started with the "Magical Power Rangers Girls" sub-genre.
Also the impact of the Sailor Moon Crystal series:

Toei animation
Domestic Licensing + Overseas Licensing + Overseas Film=Total(In Million Yens)

2012 - >167(>4th place) + >61(>4th place) + >76(>4th place) = >304
2013 - >88(>4th place) + >73(>4th place) + 277(3rd place) = between 277 and 438
Series Begin
2014 -> 339(4th place) + 115(4th place) + 174(4th place) = 628

Currently this year(1st quarter, April to June):
2015 - 100(4th place) + >61(>4th place) + 41(3rd place) = between 161 and 202
(last year at this precise time it was >115)

Last edited by bigivel on Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:30 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Until you realize "3rd season" means only 13 episodes with the same budget as the original. Production Committee deemed the original successful enough, why would they change the formula? I pity the poor sap that has to be the new director.

*poof*
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Until you realize "3rd season" means only 13 episodes with the same budget as the original. Production Committee deemed the original successful enough, why would they change the formula? I pity the poor sap that has to be the new director.

*poof*

This is what I imagine will end up happening. If the no-budget, poorly paced and terribly scripted Crystal was enough to sell those expensive Sailor Moon menstrual pads and Proplica wands, Toei has no reason to attempt any improvement, especially since the BD/DVD sold pretty bad.

That being said, I'm looking forward to this because it was equally infuriating and hilariously terrible, and I quite enjoy reading blogs mocking how terrible it was.
Fallenmessiahx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:34 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

*poof*

This is what I imagine will end up happening. If the no-budget, poorly paced and terribly scripted Crystal was enough to sell those expensive Sailor Moon menstrual pads and Proplica wands, Toei has no reason to attempt any improvement, especially since the BD/DVD sold pretty bad.

That being said, I'm looking forward to this because it was equally infuriating and hilariously terrible, and I quite enjoy reading blogs mocking how terrible it was.

Although I think you are absolutely right, I am hoping that some magical force will have Toei to do the opposite and actually put money and effort into the series from now on. That way they may be able to win some fans back, get better ratings, which means more sponsorship and more DVD/Bluray and product sales.
Like the old saying goes "you attract more files with honey than vinegar"
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Now I am wondering what will be the new voices for the remaining Outer Senshi, personally my favorite choices for Uranus are Mitsuki Saiga, Junko Minagawa and Mutsumi Tamura, but personally want Megumi Ogata to return.

For Neptune and Saturn, I am unsure...
manapear

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Yay~! I was so excited to hear this! I'm glad I have the third musical to hold me over in the meantime. ♥
(And are they indeed re-performing La Reconquista with the new Mercury?)

Honestly, if the quality is on level with the second arc, I'm not worried. I hope they'll take it to the next level, but this is Toei, so I won't actually expect anything (optimistic feeling, but realistic thinking).

I'm also super pumped over what merch will come out now~!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:04 pm Reply with quote
FH14 wrote:

I suspect that it may be broadcast on TV from the get-go this time, which would mean it would have a bigger budget. (The original online-only stream meant it had little or no advertiser support which means less $$$).

Depends where they put the timeslot.
bigivel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:25 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

Toei has no reason to attempt any improvement, especially since the BD/DVD sold pretty bad.

It sold 3k per volume, I wouldn't say that is good, but I don't see how is pretty bad, this is normally the breaking even point(called the manabi line -> 2,899 copies). Specially if you're assuming that the series had low budget to be produced.

Given Toei animation titles, this one is the one that sold better last and this year(not counting box-sets and re-releases).
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:40 pm Reply with quote
^Did it really? The first volume passed the 4K mark, but all the following ones barely sold 2K combining DVD/BD. I haven't been able to find an average volume sales, but considering how fancy those LEs were, the sales seem rather disappointing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5