• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Muv-Luv Visual Novel Localization Kickstarter Launches

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:15 pm Reply with quote
yanv wrote:
I'm not climbing aboard for this ruse cruise every time they mention "Vita". Still waiting on Grisaia news.

I didn't even know that was a thing.

Huh. I guess Sony has trouble dealing with smaller companies who make promises on Kickstarter.

Im in for the basic $60 steam trilogy tier.
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Gave 150$ might give more later. Also 235k pledged we're already almost at the first goal. 30,000k was pledged in less than 30 minutes and in an hour we reached over 100k. This is beyond my wildest dreams.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:27 pm Reply with quote
StormVanguard wrote:
Gave 150$ might give more later. Also 235k pledged we're already almost at the first goal. 30,000k was pledged in less than 30 minutes and in an hour we reached over 100k. This is beyond my wildest dreams.

It really is shocking. I worried openly about the goal when it was announced on Prefundia, considering Clannad only wanted $150K up front IIRC, and that had a very popular anime promoting it in advance, while the main story of Muv-Luv has never been animated, making it far more obscure in English circles than other top-tier VNs like Steins;Gate and Fate/Stay Night which also got popular anime adaptations.

And if it's really a success, maybe we finally get Kimi ga Nozomu Eien / Rumbling Hearts next year for its 15th anniversary. Hey, a guy can dream…
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:45 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
And if it's really a success, maybe we finally get Kimi ga Nozomu Eien / Rumbling Hearts next year for its 15th anniversary. Hey, a guy can dream…

I Equally want to see this happen myself. I still wonder if that whole april fools site meant anything and we might see an updated and longer adaptation in the future.
Sume Gai

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:54 pm Reply with quote
and the basic goal is already funded.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:03 pm Reply with quote
StormVanguard wrote:
invalidname wrote:

I Equally want to see this happen myself. I still wonder if that whole april fools site meant anything and we might see an updated and longer adaptation in the future.

Well, how about not "longer"… Kimi ga Nozomu Eien is already one of the longest video game scripts in history, longer than Muv-Luvs Extra, Unlimited, and Alternative combined.
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:25 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

Well, how about not "longer"… Kimi ga Nozomu Eien is already one of the longest video game scripts in history, longer than Muv-Luvs Extra, Unlimited, and Alternative combined.

Laughing Jokes aside, I'm aware another reason i really want this. But if you think about it how faithful could the adaptation honestly be given its short run. It feels faithful to me like it captured something important from the visual novel but not knowing moon i honestly can't say.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:43 pm Reply with quote
StormVanguard wrote:
:lol: Jokes aside, I'm aware another reason i really want this. But if you think about it how faithful could the adaptation honestly be given its short run. It feels faithful to me like it captured something important from the visual novel but not knowing moon i honestly can't say.

As I said on the Clannad ANNCast, I think Rumbling Hearts is a superior VN adaptation because it's so adaptive, and that they had a free hand to make a compelling anime series (picking one through-line and committing to it, even ditching major characters like Homura entirely), rather than just providing a souvenier for fans of the VN that checklists its way though all the routes. It's good enough as a standalone anime series that it's kept a small fandom alive here, even as the source VN has crushed one fan translation group after another.

That said, and getting back on topic, how the hell would you ever adapt Muv-Luv to anime?
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:49 pm Reply with quote
yanv wrote:
I'm not climbing aboard for this ruse cruise every time they mention "Vita". Still waiting on Grisaia news.

I wouldn't hold Degica to Sekai Project's failings. PQube managed to publish Steins;Gate in the US and they don't even have an office on this continent.
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:10 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
rather than just providing a souvenier for fans of the VN that checklists its way though all the routes. It's good enough as a standalone anime series that it's kept a small fandom alive here, even as the source VN has crushed one fan translation group after another.

Yeah i got this feeling actually and for adaptations i actually prefer a different take on something as long it doesn't hurt the series any.
invalidname wrote:
That said, and getting back on topic, how the hell would you ever adapt Muv-Luv to anime?

As Kouki would prefer it Extra 12 episodes Unlimited 12 episodes Alternative 24 episodes and two movies. He seems to be very strict about this such as he won't adapt Muv-Luv otherwise, much like how Zun refuses to budge and have anyone make a touhou anime outside of ova's and you can bet your ass he'll recruit his dream team for it as well.
duomaxwelldoesddr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:00 pm Reply with quote
StormVanguard wrote:
invalidname wrote:
rather than just providing a souvenier for fans of the VN that checklists its way though all the routes. It's good enough as a standalone anime series that it's kept a small fandom alive here, even as the source VN has crushed one fan translation group after another.

Yeah i got this feeling actually and for adaptations i actually prefer a different take on something as long it doesn't hurt the series any.
invalidname wrote:

As Kouki would prefer it Extra 12 episodes Unlimited 12 episodes Alternative 24 episodes and two movies. He seems to be very strict about this such as he won't adapt Muv-Luv otherwise, much like how Zun refuses to budge and have anyone make a touhou anime outside of ova's and you can bet your ass he'll recruit his dream team for it as well.

Ahhh the dream of a perfect muvluv anime... I can picture it now, Bou doing the anime's character designs too, Daisuke Ishiwatari doing a special cover of Storm Vanguard and other combat music, ufotable money dumping to the point the whole anime looks like the special movie cut scenes in ML Unlimited... I don't even know who could direct or do music/scripting/etc...

That's mainly for the Alternative anime though. For Extra I could be completely happy if it was even the quality of the pretty good Akane Maniax OVA.

(And in case it isn't obvious, I'm in for 800 atm - here's to reaching the 720k stretch goal!)
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:00 am Reply with quote
StormVanguard wrote:
As Kouki would prefer it Extra 12 episodes Unlimited 12 episodes Alternative 24 episodes and two movies. He seems to be very strict about this such as he won't adapt Muv-Luv otherwise

Which means like two or three solid episodes of the dreaded "lacrosse arc" in Extra. Imagine, at Japanese Blu-Ray prices, paying $60-90 just for the lacrosse arc.

I think I understand why a Muv-Luv anime hasn't happened already.
Sume Gai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:20 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Which means like two or three solid episodes of the dreaded "lacrosse arc" in Extra. Imagine, at Japanese Blu-Ray prices, paying $60-90 just for the lacrosse arc.

I think I understand why a Muv-Luv anime hasn't happened already.

Yeah, Extra is the real bar to any anime adaptation. Important as it is to Muv-Luv in context, It would be pretty bland to watch. Though seeing Meiya's ending fully animated would be amazing.
Manwards

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:59 am Reply with quote
Backed for $60! As someone who is a huge fan of visual novels but isn't interested in hentai, it's great to see these ambitious VNs get sanctioned releases. I'm very eagerly awaiting the release of Clannad in a few months!
danpmss

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:21 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
StormVanguard wrote:
invalidname wrote:

This site's counts are kinda bullshit tbh.
If you want to see how long is the script of a VN, you should count by the number of words, and not by the lines, since many of them, even on Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, considering I played the latest edition, are pretty short and/or pointless ("kyaa", "itte", "tsk", etc...). To he fair, all VNs are like this sometimes.

If you want too see a true list of longests VNs, search for a count by words or ideograms (Umineko complete 1-8 will certainly be at the top, for what I can remember, even if the number of lines is fewer, for example).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3