• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Set List - Top 10 OPs of 2009

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
7jaws7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Just great, now "Renai Circulation" is in my head Razz
redcar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Nice, I was waiting for the Spice and Wolf openings to eventually show up. Both are great, but I feel like the second opener gets the nod due to simply capturing a feeling of loneliness wholly unique to the show.

I'm also not surprised to see Super Driver on the list. It always felt like the song was pretty great and didn't get enough love, likely due to Endless Eight making the associated anime kinda a wash. Still, I've always found it very catchy and enjoyable. Admittedly this is probably partly due to certain chords being similar to my favorite anime song of all time, Nishi Kaze no Kaeri Michi from Cardcaptor Sakura.

As for the rest, much like Hope I haven't seen many of the anime listed. It was good to see Akiko Shikata and KOKIA both getting mentions, though. In any case, thanks for another Set List, and keep up the good work!
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Fantastic list! Out of all of these, the OP for Phantom is probably my favorite of the bunch. It's just kind of a shame it's replaced by a vastly inferior OP much later on in the show, one that still suits the show, but just doesn't sound as pleasant.

If there were any anime OPs from 2009 that I'd put on here (not including anything from Bakemonogatari, Fairy Tail, or FMA: B), it'd have to be Needless. It's bombastic, it is so 100% in-your-face, and I can understand how that might be obnoxious to some others, but that's what I absolutely love about it. Very Happy

The Umineko OP is a perfect example of an OP that gets you pumped for a show that completely doesn't do that. Laughing

The lyrics do a great job about hinting things that later come into play in the anime, as well as later in the games. Some of those hints are obvious, some not so much.

I know you've heard this many times already, but trust me Hope, you are doing yourself a huge disservice checking out the Umineko anime. It's one of the worst anime adaptations I've ever seen, and this is coming from someone who thought the 2006 Fate/Stay Night anime was actually pretty decent (bland art and choppy animation aside). I'm not even sure an anime produced by Ufotable and directed by Ikuhara could work out since, as consignia pointed out, it heavily relies on it's medium to tell it's story. Though it'd be 1000% guaranteed to be better than what DEEN did. Confused

Last edited by ThatGuyWhoLikesThings on Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I forgot to talk about the Italian in Umineko's OP in my previous comment: yeah, it is sort of setting-relevant. There are references to and some thematic parallels with the Divine Comedy, and a few characters are named after its characters, including the antagonist of the first half of the VNs' story, Beatrice, who's supposed to be an Italian witch (the reality being a bit more complicated). Plus, the anime's OP seems to be heavily based on the first VN's OP by the same singer, which also had Italian chanting in it.

Incidentally, the VNs also have some really good music, although I don't think any of the OPs were quite as good as the anime one. Though my absolute favourite is the 6th game's ED, even if it is just one of the BGM tracks with lyrics added to it. I really liked it as BGM, and the lyrics are pretty fun, if totally nonsensical out of context.

consignia wrote:
Yeah, I'm not so down on the anime, but Umineko is a story that relies too much on it's medium to be adapted well into anything else. I've read a couple of the manga adaptations, and some are a bit better attempts due to not having the limitations of fitting into a broadcast tv slot, but none of them hold a candle to the visual novel.
Yeah, I wasn't really expect them to, but still, knowing what can be omitted from an adaptation without subtracting from the mood can go a long way. Not adding plot holes that weren't in the original would also be nice...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote
My favorite OP of 2009 was the OP 1 of Shin Mazinger, "Kanjite Knight".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kevinx59

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
The list wasn't bad, but it was unfortunately missing a lot of good songs. I like the Ali Project song ( reminds me, I still need to get that song) as well as Umineko's. Cross Game's opening sounds nice, and so does the Spice and Wolf one, though I greatly prefer the first opening. My sister is in love with the Zetsubou sensei openings, though the songs are too weird for me. But Sengoku Basara at #1? What? I mean, the songs okay but better than the epically cryptic Eden of the East and the hauntingly gorgeous Phantom? BTW, funny you should mention Ali Project and Bee Train, as they did do Phantom's second opening, full of some misleadingly cheerful images and an upbeat but menacing song.

Anyways so many choices to make. Aside from the above choices there's also Asura Cryin, K-On!, Ladies vs Butlers (the back and forth singing style is cute and fun), Natsu no Arashi, Birdy the Mighty Decode 2, Needless (I prefer it to Basara's), The Girl Who Leapt Through Space and Genji Monogatari Sennenki. I had to add Kuuchu Buranko's totally groovy opening theme though (and I'm kind of surprised it didn't make the list). Oh, and of course I have to choose Railgun, the series that introduced me to fripSide, my favorite Japanese band.
vonPeterhof wrote:
The intro riff from A Certain Scientific Railgun's OP never fails to make my blood start pumping, so for a while I used it as my alarm clock tune.
Heh, I used the second opening as my ringtone for a long time. Still get a rush anytime I hear those opening arpeggios. Man, 2009 was an awesome year. So much great music, plus two of my favorite anime of all time.
HEY!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:54 pm Reply with quote
hahahaaa Ali Projects OPs all do sound the same. I get the feeling that listening to their albums would get repetitive, but as standalone OPs they work well.
varmintx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Sad that the only song I really like from the entire list is in English from a well-known band. Also sad, I've only watched 3 of those shows, and 2 of those were sequels.
gedata

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:05 pm Reply with quote
There wasn't a dearth of quality openings this year, heck my own list of preferred OPs mostly include those that weren't brought up here like:

Birdy the Mighty Decode 2
Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger (which isn't on the poll for some reason)
Dragon Ball Kai
FMAB's openings
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya season 2 (this is in the list so no need to link)
Pandora Hearts
Zan Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (also not linking)
Shin Mazinger Z (this is one is seriously metal)
consignia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:23 pm Reply with quote
HEY! wrote:
hahahaaa Ali Projects OPs all do sound the same. I get the feeling that listening to their albums would get repetitive, but as standalone OPs they work well.

I'm sure there's one or two that sound different, the Marimite theme I recall didn't. But yeah, you they really do stick to a formula. I remember listening to the OP to that recent World Break series, and thinking "This is a Petit Milady song, but it sounds just like an Ali Project one". And then I checked the writing credits, and Lo and Behold.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:30 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
Though my absolute favourite is the 6th game's ED, even if it is just one of the BGM tracks with lyrics added to it. I really liked it as BGM, and the lyrics are pretty fun, if totally nonsensical out of context.

I think you're confusing Usan no Kaori with "Birth of New Witch". Both are fantastic Umineko songs though.

God, I know the Umineko soundtrack is unanimously praised, but it really deserves it. Very Happy
chex mix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Every single opening from Gintama S4 that year was better than the songs on that list.

Eden of the East was a good show that could have been great if it ultimately knew where it was going, and didn't change destinations twice in each sequel movie. It was still really quite good, it just ended up strangling itself.
SahgoDN

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Fantastic list! Out of all of these, the OP for Phantom is probably my favorite of the bunch. It's just kind of a shame it's replaced by a vastly inferior OP much later on in the show, one that still suits the show, but just doesn't sound as pleasant.

Well, at least for that portion KOKIA went on to do that hauntingly-great new ED.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I dislike Sengoku Basara anime, but DAMN, is this opening awesome. One of the best ever. The song, the video...all.
albanian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I had forgotten just how many really good shows from 2009 ended up flying under the radar. Beast Player Erin, Cross Game and Letter Bee - in my opinion - deserve to be much better known than they seem to be. Perhaps they might be had they not been up against some of that year's heavyweights like K-ON!, Railgun, Eden of the East and the Spice and Wolf/Haruhi Suzumiya sequels.

I am also surprised that the OPs from K-ON!, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 and Basquash didn't make the list - but then personal opinion is simply that, after all. (As, maybe, my guilty pleasure from the year - Kanamemo - just goes to show, even if it does have an infectiously catchy, and funny, OP!)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4