• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 41st Single AKB48 Senbatsu Election Results Are In

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MelancholicMaria

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:56 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
I've removed the broken window information, I'm not sure why it was presented in the Japanese source as something that was entirely false.

They have a two season anime dedicated to them and many of the idols are also seiyū. J-pop is hugely tied to anime and this group in particular is as well. They'll continue appearing in the Interest section as is relevant.

However, I'm tried of hearing that we're intentionally baiting people who don't like this music. That's not what's going on, period.

It's less baiting people who don't like the music and more baiting people who already have negative preconceptions of what being an idol is and perpetuating stereotypes of the industry and fans. It's worrying if it's not intentional because that shows a worrying attitude, but rather than concluding the news of the AKB48 election with "this person kicked in a door" if it was even true, why not report on, like the poster above me Miss Hachiko says, the huge revenue brought into Fukuoka because of the election?

It may seem bitchy of me and other fans of entirely different Japanese groups to demand the reporting have some significant fact checking and understanding of what is being reported, but you have to realise that these news/interest stories are incredibly pick and choose, and for the most part the stories which are reported are very sensationalised to cause a response (eg, window smash from this article.)

This isn't me saying "stop reporting AKB48!!" I'm just saying maybe be considerate when reporting "weird" news as it may be something you don't actually understand, thus send out a negative message when reporting how "weird" it is. (eg, Granrodeo swimsuit event, T.M. Revolution all male event, AKB48 Draft member Imamura Maria being 11 years old and the youngest in the draft pool [which was incorrect, the youngest was Kamimura Ayuka])
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:21 pm Reply with quote
WTF, Ayuka was in AKB at 11 as well? What's wrong with some of these parents? An idol group is no place for a 11 year old. Is fame so good that you need to sacrifice the innocence of your child to mainly dirty old men.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:44 pm Reply with quote
The same thing happens in other countries Hoppy, it's not like it's Japanese exclusive. Look at the US, Disney pumps out child idols like nobody's business.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:52 pm Reply with quote
razisgosu wrote:
Look at the US, Disney pumps out child idols like nobody's business.

Disney is still featuring child idols? With how the Disney Channel has changed over the years, I thought that was only a thing of the past for them.

Then again...I stopped watching the Disney Channel years ago...
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Miss Hachiko wrote:
You had to report that ANN?
Really? Way to go off the tangent.

And how is reporting on this going off the tangent prey tell? I mean how dare an anime news website report on something that is in the same niche hobby community as anime right? The audacity!!! In case you missed it, or just ignored it, the article is clearly labeled as an interest piece. Those pieces are not in fact "news" but rather pieces that would probably be of INTEREST to some, or many, anime fans. If it's not of INTEREST to you, don't read it. Simple as that. Simply popping in to post a snarky pot shot at the ANN staff, and not elaborating on said snarky comment either, suggests you either just want attention or to hear yourself talk. Regardless as to why such a pointless snarky comment is not conducive to forwarding any sort of actual intelligent discussion. And one mod already told everyone to cool down and play nice. So in other words you can stop now. Thanks.

And this is something everyone else should try to remember as well. These interests pieces are just that. They are fun little extra pieces the staff are doing to try and provide more coverage of other things that an anime fan might be INTERESTED in. It would be really nice if everyone in the interest piece threads could just relax more and not get so worked up over honestly such trivial matters. It ruins the threads for everyone. Thank you.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
razisgosu wrote:
Look at the US, Disney pumps out child idols like nobody's business.

Disney is still featuring child idols? With how the Disney Channel has changed over the years, I thought that was only a thing of the past for them.

Then again...I stopped watching the Disney Channel years ago...

Also, you really can't compare the two, since Disney is tame compared to AKB as they have to maintain their family friendly image.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:09 pm Reply with quote
It's tame until they become teens and young adults, then it's all down hill from there. Look at all the child actors/idols the US has put out over the years and all the trouble they get into because of the environment they're thrown into.

MK and Ashley Olsen, Avril, Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, I think Hilary Duff managed to keep herself clean, I don't remember ever seeing any bad news about her. I'm sure there are more, but admittedly I was growing up alongside most of them and didn't care to research them much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AKB48_members

The youngest age I see for being an active member is 13. That's honestly older than most of the US idols start their stardom.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:07 am Reply with quote
Really don't understand what all the drama is for. ANN reported a story about AKB48. There was nothing negative or sensational about it.

ANN has reported AKB48 stories before. I hope they continue to report stories about AKB48.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:23 am Reply with quote
MelancholicMaria wrote:

Stuff

If the readers of the site think that 11-year-old idols are inappropriate, than they think it's inappropriate. There are a number of topics that draw this kind of reaction and similar fans of said topics that come in to decry any attention being brought to their hobby outside of the already enthused fanbase. It all comes down to people getting upset when other people make fun of/don't like their hobby.

I've seen almost identical forum posts when reported on little-sister themed hug pillows, any news article regarding something with loli content, etc.

What you're essentially asking for his PR-level censorship. Now, I will apologize to the ends of the earth for window thing because it's an embarrassment and it does look like I will need to be more careful as there was an otherwise reliable site that, in this case, perpetuated what was an old picture as a "chain letter" style false incident and I took it at face value. It's a site News and Interest uses on a daily basis but either way, it made ANN look bad for passing it along.

That said, if an angry fan had broken a window, we're going to mention it. I'm not going to skip over relevant reactions in Japan because it upsets fans that other people find out it happened.

There was no sensational dialogue in the T.M. Revolution article and I ensured that it had more context for readers to understand it. Yet, individuals are upset because English readers are now aware that male-only concert exists and have opinions on that. The Granrodeo article only reported how some Japanese fans were responding to the dress code, but that was also taken as an authoritative admonishment of the band.

I'll strive to ensure that all relevant, and accurate details are included in these articles going forward, but that's all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MelancholicMaria

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:57 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
I've seen almost identical forum posts when reported on little-sister themed hug pillows, any news article regarding something with loli content, etc.

What you're essentially asking for his PR-level censorship. Now, I will apologize to the ends of the earth for window thing because it's an embarrassment and it does look like I will need to be more careful as there was an otherwise reliable site that, in this case, perpetuated what was an old picture as a "chain letter" style false incident and I took it at face value. It's a site News and Interest uses on a daily basis but either way, it made ANN look bad for passing it along.

Well you're misinterpreting what I'm saying now. I'm not asking for you to censor anything, I'm asking you to think. When you have a story followed or branded in negativity it's going to paint a negative picture of the whole thing, you're never posting positive stories, just stories which are "weird". Contrast, even in the same story, is pretty important. If a fan had angrily broken a window, yeah report it sure.

I don't know how I feel about you personally comparing me and other people who have issues with the style of reporting to fans of loli stuff. While they're into what they're into it's almost as if you're insinuating something. You could've been very general but retorted to that which is super weird and unnecessary.

Quote:
Yet, individuals are upset because English readers are now aware that male-only concert exists and have opinions on that. The Granrodeo article only reported how some Japanese fans were responding to the dress code, but that was also taken as an authoritative admonishment of the band.

But the context is barely there. The reason all male/female concerts exist is for opportunity. T.M. Revolution's fans are primarily female and getting tickets is difficult for men as women sweep most of them up. I've explained the Granrodeo situation and it's a fan thing that keeps happening so they're catering to that. I don't understand how I can find this context and you guys can't. (There's more to the Granrodeo situation but I'm personally not a fan so I can't quite remember, but other fans have screamed it at you I'm sure.)

Quote:
There are a number of topics that draw this kind of reaction and similar fans of said topics that come in to decry any attention being brought to their hobby outside of the already enthused fanbase. It all comes down to people getting upset when other people make fun of/don't like their hobby.

It's not even the attention the groups are getting, if anything that's good. It's the misinformation you're presenting and the sensationalism you're creating. It's hardly about being upset about a hobby being "silly" and more that it's being misrepresented as something with bad intentions or promote "crazy" fans. That's it. Comments can laugh at it all they want because everyone else is laughing at them.

But that's all I really have to say. I genuinely appreciate you talking to me about this even though we're not seeing eye to eye exactly, hopefully I didn't waste too much of your time.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:49 am Reply with quote
MelancholicMaria wrote:

Well you're misinterpreting what I'm saying now. I'm not asking for you to censor anything, I'm asking you to think. When you have a story followed or branded in negativity it's going to paint a negative picture of the whole thing, you're never posting positive stories, just stories which are "weird".

There was nothing in that article that was negative. Nothing what so ever. There was nothing about that article that needed ANN to make a decision about whether or not to exclude it from coverage.

Maybe you want ANN to cease coverage about AKB48, but I sure don't.
MelancholicMaria

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:04 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
MelancholicMaria wrote:

Well you're misinterpreting what I'm saying now. I'm not asking for you to censor anything, I'm asking you to think. When you have a story followed or branded in negativity it's going to paint a negative picture of the whole thing, you're never posting positive stories, just stories which are "weird".

There was nothing in that article that was negative. Nothing what so ever. There was nothing about that article that needed ANN to make a decision about whether or not to exclude it from coverage.

Maybe you want ANN to cease coverage about AKB48, but I sure don't.

I guess I'll reply to this to clear it up.

There was something in the article which was negative, but they removed it because it was false. I ask for contrast rather than a consistent reporting in "weird" articles which paint a misrepresentative picture of not just AKB48 but a lot of music acts.

Keep reporting AKB48, that's no problem, I don't think I ever said stop, I just didn't understand why it was being reported. The seiyuu excuse is false, very few members are seiyuu and the AKB0048 anime is old and basically irrelevant these days. So to keep reporting about AKB48 because of that anime feels like an excuse.

You could get more (literally more) news, and factually accurate, elsewhere than an anime site, just so you know.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:34 am Reply with quote
Great, this isn't the news section nor are we attempting to be a music news section. It's Interest, as has been explained to you already. Plenty of anime fans have interest in J-Pop acts, so when there's a major noteworthy event like the Senbatsu Election, I'm writing it up.

We're talking in circles now and what it comes down to is you're upset about perceived negativity towards a group (s) you like. There isn't anything else to discuss.

Now, if anyone would like to talk about which AKB48 member is their favorite, which they'd like to win, or something related to the actual article content itself, please have at it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:03 pm Reply with quote
@MelancholicMaria

This article was not weird. ANN reports on AKB48 for the reasons stated by the mods.

Despite your denials, it still sounds like you want to control what I can read, by convincing ANN to cease coverage on AKB48.

But whatever. I am done.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
WTF, Ayuka was in AKB at 11 as well? What's wrong with some of these parents? An idol group is no place for a 11 year old. Is fame so good that you need to sacrifice the innocence of your child to mainly dirty old men.

I realize it's not an idol group, BUT...
http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/kate-plus-8/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_Comes_Honey_Boo_Boo

Yeah, ok, we don't really do the "loli-idol" thing like Japan, but we (as a nation) have absolutely no issues with exploiting our minors for fame and "entertainment". I don't really want to dig for instances where US entertainment has "sexualized" pre-Teens, but I'm sure it happens.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3