• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 'Best of Anime II' Commercial is Full of 90s Nostalgia

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I love my IRIA poster so much. My gateway title. Thank-you, CPM. 《^~^》♡
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
That narrator in that U.S. Manga Corps commercial was really grating to hear. Then again, the commercial was from the 1990's, so I'm not surprised that it was over-the-top.

That said, I really ought to get around to watching Project A-ko and Record of Lodoss War.

Back when VHS was king, Columbia House (usually distributing Time-Life Video) had a monthly subscription for anything, whether it was five volumes in the series or twelve, and saturated the emerging cable stations with 1-800 commercials for it.
And CPM was coming along just as Carl Macek and Streamline were beating the "It's new, it's icky, it's not your kiddies' Speed Racer!" gimmick into the ground, only fueling the Japan-fear at the time.
CPM were also shameless for never turning down a marketing opportunity, which may have been the biggest influence on anime in the US. If it was CPM, it would show up on Sci-Fi Channel, and that's where a generation remembered it.

And yes, Project A-Ko is on the short-list of Early Anime Cultural History requirements, and not just because it has all the silliness of the UY episode writers. Smile
It may actually be funnier now, now that we get most of the classic-ref jokes, which we didn't back then, and because 90's old-school anime comedy is still funnier than what we've got today.

Last edited by EricJ2 on Mon May 04, 2015 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Meeeeeeeeemorieeeeeeeeeees....
vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:39 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I love how the end that second trailer with MD Geist II, gotta end it with a strong title right?

Wasn't it CPM that was responsible for getting that one made in the first place?
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
ADV had the "Do it Now" commercials that I thought were awesome and some are still kind of cool to watch even nowadays.

That they are: Cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmQ2x2DtwII
taster of pork

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:01 am Reply with quote
I feel old now. Laughing
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:58 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:
I love how the end that second trailer with MD Geist II, gotta end it with a strong title right?

Wasn't it CPM that was responsible for getting that one made in the first place?

Yes, I believe they were. Didn't they do the anime world a great service with that one?
Kosmogonia

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:11 am Reply with quote
The trailer for Twilight of the Dark Master always pumped me up, and I miss the days when anime could be this dark, gritty, and violent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LJv3_10f7E
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:56 am Reply with quote
Wow... Nostalgia *A* The $5 / Tape thing was how I saw Akira as a wee 13 y/o back in early 98.... gotta love that babysitting money. I actually have no memory on how I paid for it because my mom wouldn't have wanted me watching it O.o My only previous exposure to anime was Sailor Moon & Beautiful Dreamer off the sci fi channel so I was pretty shocked by it I guess.

Usagi-kun wrote:
I love my IRIA poster so much. My gateway title. Thank-you, CPM. 《^~^》♡

WTF you have an Iria poster?? HOW!?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:15 am Reply with quote
Xristophoros wrote:
patlabor, roujin z, cyber city... ah the good old days. a time when anime consisted of more than 5 frames per second!

Not really, some high profile shows did, but most were pretty stingy when it came to animation quality. It was the good old days when Anime consisted of 5 frames per second.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:30 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised there so much, an ad I saw for Ranma 1/2 had 2 episodes for $30. A shorter run time for money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeoeNVgJZaY
kevinx59

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:42 am Reply with quote
Hehehehe. These trailers are pretty cheesy and edgy, but the animation for some of those series seems surprisingly impressive. Especially Patlabor. Is that the tv series or the ova? But its amazing: I was probably only 4 or 5 when these came out. Still, the video reminds me that I need to finish watching Project A-Ko. And someone posted a trailer that showed Venus Wars. Shocked I've seen the cover art (which I always thought looked old and cheap) but I never expected the series to look as impressive and well animated as the scene in the trailer shows.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:15 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:

Anime sure did used to have a really badass spirit back in the day. There might have been a lot of crap, but even the crap was kind of campy, and of course there were a lot of gems too (Patlabor, Project A-ko, Lodoss War, Roujin Z and Iria Zeriam seemed to be fan favorites).

There were less high school in those days.

MarshalBanana wrote:
Xristophoros wrote:

patlabor, roujin z, cyber city... ah the good old days. a time when anime consisted of more than 5 frames per second!

Not really, some high profile shows did, but most were pretty stingy when it came to animation quality. It was the good old days when Anime consisted of 5 frames per second.

Back then, truly "it's the story that matters most." Fans were more forgiving of animation so long as there's an engaging story.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:53 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Xristophoros wrote:

Back then, truly "it's the story that matters most." Fans were more forgiving of animation so long as there's an engaging story.

Back in the 80s, and carrying on other to the 90s, the people getting into the industry were mostly fans who just wanted to animate a mechs and animate fights. That's why even most of the good stuff from then have paper thin plots, because the people helming the projects were animators not writers. Project A-KO is a great example of this.

Not saying any of that's bad, but when the focal is on animation, that should be of high quality.
Running Wild

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:49 am Reply with quote
I wish Discotek would make some over the top trailers/commercials like these.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3