• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds The Heroic Legend of Arslan Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:16 pm Reply with quote
A few words, if I may...

bs3311 wrote:
But nethier of these two are and should not be similar to eachother. I don't want to expect a 2nd half of Arslan to be similar to FMAB when our main characters are dicking around not even trying to run away from anime tom selleck.

ANN's categories for both Fullmetal Alchemist's and The Heroic Legend of Arslan's mangas are:
Fullmetal Alchemist's bio page on ANN wrote:
Genres: adventure, comedy, drama, fantasy
Themes: alchemy, conspiracy, death, Homunculi, military, Steampunk, tragedy, war
[...]
Objectionable content: Significant

The Heroic Legend of Arslan's bio page on ANN wrote:
Genres: adventure, drama, fantasy
[...]
Objectionable content: Significant

I don't know about you, but I see some overlapping happening here in the genre, type of content and maybe even in reader preferences.

bs3311 wrote:
Redundency isn't helping. So when I dislike a company that people seem to like yet I gave praise for their glory days before and during 2012, I have a trolling grudge? When I find a houston companies licensing and dubbing practices to be better than what people seem to find but I still give points of flaws in said company, I have to shut up and listening on fans enjoying whats left of their nostalgia dallas D-riding? Thats what I'm getting out of this and I will gladly see a re-word of what you really mean.

You are entitled to hold an opinion, but so are everyone else. Your definition of "good" doesn't always matches someone else's.

bs3311 wrote:
Using other people to back up your claim isn't helping. The main character looks like a friggen puppy. Arakawa gives sharp corners of their eyes with flat uper or lower eyelids while having slim or obtuse chins with flat frowns or perky smiles. This and the previews don't look like that.

Edward Elric's face (for the manga):

Arslan's (from the concept art for the anime):

I'll admit that I don't have the sharpest of art-sensory skills, but their faces look pretty damn similar. One might have an issue with the eyes, as you apparently do, but I, for one, don't find it dissimilar to Arakawa Hiromu's regular style.

bs3311 wrote:
Re-read my comment, jeez. "about as distant." Similar or close to a specific point. Its to set a point there are just as bad. They could be bad until the final product is presented.

Triage X's Kiba Mikoto - manga:

Anime visuals:

Here, the difference between the art styles from the manga and the anime concept art is clear - or at least clearer than the FMA-Arslan one.
You can check one of ANN's pages yourself to see more references (the first 3 compared to the last 3).

bs3311 wrote:
That still leads to covering or brushing up. "And," an, "Or," have comepletely different meanings. The big deal is that they can't include another title, I will pull this complaint if they print something like this on the stupid box.

"From the manga designer of FMA comes the adaptation from the critically acclaimed novelist of The Legend of The Galactic Heroes."

Is that so hard? This still keeps FMA as a cheap recommendation, but fans seeing the novelists title that this was originally done from will entice viewers to google it. Thus leading more fandom for both Arslan, FMA and LOTGH. If Funi doesn't, then it will be the example of how the laziest of marketing is done in squeezing out whats left of a dying title in their library. AOT did'nt meet demands, yet they're picking up Seraph and now trying to milk publicity to try and get more interest back in FMA only. By not even giving a refference to a great novelists work.

The anime is based on Arakawa Hiromu's interpretation of Tanaka Yoshiki's The Heroic Legend of Arslan. The original illustrator's, Amano Yoshitaka, art isn't used in this version of animation, so what's wrong? Noting Fullmetal Alchemist isn't a way for FUNi to make a quick-sale or what have you, but a rather logical decision since both Arakawa Hiromu and her work FMA are most likely more well-known than Tanaka Yoshiki and his work Arslan. I know it was the case for me.

bs3311 wrote:
You see one authors style, you see them all.[...]

You might wanna see other manga and anime styles (and understanding how and from where different art styles originate) before throwing-out sentences like these

bs3311 wrote:
Thats the flaw of designers. Similarity is different from comparison of certain problems a different project had to deal with. Both projects had to deal with bad character designs that don't follow the original and superior work. Arslan on the other hand is being advertised as something done from FMA mangaka and no one else besides just leaving the original creators name with no such effort to put what he has done. Which overtime I think makes sense since his work will kick that bimbo out of the park.

Again, the anime is advertised has been based on Arakawa's interpretation of the original story. That, in essence, makes the anime's advertisment of being based on Arakawa's work as correct.
bs3311

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:08 pm Reply with quote
And then some, if I may...

Hameyadea wrote:
I don't know about you, but I see some overlapping happening here in the genre, type of content and maybe even in reader preferences.

Your missing my point. Similar as in story, plot, characters, etc. When I think someone wants to recommend me a show for what I liked about another. I assume that they mean by that the content of the show will have same characters, development and plot/climax.

Quote:
You are entitled to hold an opinion, but so are everyone else. Your definition of "good" doesn't always matches someone else's.

So whats the solution? To just accept the ignorant majority? There should be no debate to find which one is stronger? The answer is no and always has been no. If people want to respect eachothers opinions, then don't reply to mine. I did'nt reply to anyone for this at the start.

Quote:
ART

That is the problem. Chins are wrong, mouths are not cartoony and eyes have to much detail. If your gonna to so far, then why stop and screw up the most crucil detail.

Use an actual manga panel instead of a colored HQ image for Triage X, same for FMA. Your really trying to cherry pick your point across. The issue is the facial design and mayyybe nipples. Just like Arslan. The rest is just difference in coloring and noise on character edges which is a faithful but different style to them. H.O.T.D had to make changes like that too. But its still at bad attempt along with Arslan.

Quote:
The anime is based on Arakawa Hiromu's interpretation of Tanaka Yoshiki's The Heroic Legend of Arslan.

ITS STILL AN ADAPTATION! The last airbender was an adaptation, transformers was an adaptation, TMNT was an adaptation. They had different liberties and interpretation, but they were still called adaptations. There will obviously be changes, but you must respect the original creator for actually poping out the concept.

Quote:
The original illustrator's, Amano Yoshitaka, art isn't used in this version of animation, so what's wrong?

Because the fact is that both Amano and Arakawa have COMEPLETELY different artstyles. Arslan and Triage try to copy their designers but fail dissapointingly. Hell, Amano is actually a mainstream artist known in the US, he would be better suited for this.

Quote:
Noting Fullmetal Alchemist isn't a way for FUNi to make a quick-sale or what have you, but a rather logical decision since both Arakawa Hiromu and her work FMA are most likely more well-known than Tanaka Yoshiki and his work Arslan. I know it was the case for me.

Tanaka Yoshiki is popular among the community to. Unless people are brain dead to Bakashift, Holden and Podtaku. I think I just proved your point Anime hyper. FMA is in a decline, and when people are recommended to this saying its like FMA. People will assume to FEEEL like its FMA when watching.

Quote:
You might wanna see other manga and anime styles (and understanding how and from where different art styles originate) before throwing-out sentences like these

Instead of throwing links that don't mean a thing that my statement is about. Actually argue how a film director, cinematographer and artist always in majority of their work have a unique style in how they design, shoot, compose and draw their works? Because all of them do to stand out from the crowd. You see one of an authors designs in a comic. There is a garuntee that his other projects will have the same asthetic design since its not only their most comfortable with, but it makes them stand out.

Quote:
Again, the anime is advertised has been based on Arakawa's interpretation of the original story. That, in essence, makes the anime's advertisment of being based on Arakawa's work as correct.

Which is still an adaptation. If its fan-fiction based on a better source material, then treat and advertise it like fan ficition based on a better source material. So include the guys stupid name that actually paved a generation in novel work to be put on the animated screen. Its not that hard.

angelmcazares wrote:
Sure. Informing fans of other quality animes would be ideal. But I don't think that is how marketing works. Funimation is being smart, not lazy, pimping out FMA, one of their most successful titles. I would do the same if I was them.

And what are the odds that some casual fan (Funimation's intended target with their marketing) would google LotGH?

I would realize that there are movies coming out for LOTGH down the pipe, and with Funi trying to be the best they can be. Should try and take those rights while referencing about this great peice of work while advertising this title adaptation from the same novelists work. Them not doing that just makes me feel that they are not and will not license those films.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:54 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
Blah blah blah RAEG!!!

Once again, you are taking this FAR too personally than you should. It's not a big thing and you frankly just need to get over it.

So please, for your own sake as well as for the sake of everyone else here...

CHILL.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:09 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
bs3311 wrote:
Blah blah blah RAEG!!!

Once again, you are taking this FAR too personally than you should. It's not a big thing and you frankly just need to get over it.

So please, for your own sake as well as for the sake of everyone else here...

CHILL.

This.

I find it horribly ironic that you are bitching about Funimation using FMA's name to promote this new show and how fanboys will eat up anything FMAish that Funi throws out, and yet your avatar is one of the main antagonists in the show. Rolling Eyes You are getting angry over nothing and really need to get over it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Well said Hameyadea. Smile

And thanks for the visuals, as I said in my own post, I'm with you they are damn close to Arakawa's designs unlike Triage-X.
bs3311

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:27 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
chill chill CHIILLLLLL

{Your comments concerning Autism Spectrum Disorder are inappropriate. Anymore trolling like that will result in you being placed under moderation. ~nobahn} I appreciate your concern, but you prolly have some more important things to worry about instead of lil ol me Smile

Besides, peeps should be glad I'm typing this stuff. Cause today I wanted to play some video games or start typing my review script, but this had to come first due to replies.

Kabuki wrote:
This.

I find it horribly ironic that you are bitching about Funimation using FMA's name to promote this new show and how fanboys will eat up anything FMAish that Funi throws out, and yet your avatar is one of the main antagonists in the show. You are getting angry over nothing and really need to get over it.

If my parents did'nt name me the same as miene feur, then I would'nt be so attached to a badass such as anime Tom Selleck! Cool

I had a Kyouske from ef image for while so I wanted to change that since SquidAustralianRitsu keeps changing his loli avatars so much, I might as well change after 2 years of my old avatar.

Besides, I'll take away my complaint until Funi just adds that single reference and name of the original creator anywhere on the box or synopsis. It can be or though.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Ah neat, think I'll watch this.

I'd rather not go back and read everything because bs3311's posts get rather lengthy, so I'll just ask. are you guys seriously having an argument over the wording in a press release?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:38 pm Reply with quote
@getchman
That's what they seem to be doing. It is not all that clear. I'm still not too clear on what Legend of the Galactic Heroes has to do with the whole thing.

It never occurred to me that anyone paid attention to a press release beyond the "We just licensed this show" bit.
bs3311

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Getchman wrote:
so I'll just ask. are you guys seriously having an argument over the wording in a press release?

People were raising eyelids of Sentai press wording that got pasted to synopsis, so I doubt my opinion is out of line. Its such an easy fix for Funi to try and do. Just put it on the synopsis or back of the box. If they dont, then that just makes me suspect that they wont license the new films that are coming out.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Ok this topic is getting OT in a few areas. Such as debates on art styles and some soapboxing as well. So everyone needs to get back on topic here please. Let me also make very clear this thread is not going to delve into a discussion in regards to autism. Period. Any further posts even trying to touch the subject will be deleted in their entirety without exception. This is neither the time nor place for such a discussion. Thank you.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:09 am Reply with quote
Catches me a little off guard but I figure Funi knows this is going to take off. Considering the background of the series and the fact that you can throw in Arakawa's writing the manga, they have nothing to lose by this. Looking forward to this series as an animation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2