• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sailor Moon Crystal Unveils Black Moon's Cast, Designs

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:44 pm Reply with quote
DeviousDybbuk wrote:
What about the Black Moon sisters? Sad

They... didn't really play a big role in the manga, compared to the original anime.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:02 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
So... Emeraude's principal characteristics are that she's a woman and has feelings for Demande. I'm sure that she'll be very interesting and compelling.

Has this show ever listened to its own theme song?

In the original series, she actually had characterization. This sucks.

I mainly just remember her being this jealous vane type that eventually ended up drawing power off of it when Wiseman gave her a tiara to transform her into a dragon. Also she was obsessed with Demand there too.
NateSelwyn25

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:23 pm Reply with quote
So I'm guessing they have learned their from their mistake with the Shitenno, and the Ayakashi Sisters will not stick around needlessly, since they didn't bother to release cast info for them. I suppose we will get Pluto and Death Phantom's VAs later on.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:56 pm Reply with quote
^Ai Maeda's voicing Pluto, that was revealed last month.
iatheia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Quote:
...the only woman of the four who harbors feelings for Demande.

This reads like they're all women, but she's the only one with feelings for him. I think it needs a comma after "four".

Or they all dig him (including Demande himself), and she is the only one who is female Razz
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:50 pm Reply with quote
iatheia wrote:
Dessa wrote:
Quote:
...the only woman of the four who harbors feelings for Demande.

This reads like they're all women, but she's the only one with feelings for him. I think it needs a comma after "four".

Or they all dig him (including Demande himself), and she is the only one who is female :P

That's why you need the comma. Without it, it's a single phrase, and the description is "only woman of the four who..." WITH the comma, it reads "only woman of the four, who..." The former is that she's the only one with feelings for him, and they're all women. The latter is that she's the only woman, AND she has feelings for him.

Edit ~ I am leaving the post as is because the 3 quotes are used to make a specific clarified point derived from all 3 posts. However, you of all people should know excessive quoting is not allowed Dessa. So consider this you're one and only mulligan. Next time you get a strike so please watch it. ~ Psycho 101
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

Has this show ever listened to its own theme song?

I want to clear something up here.

The line "we are not frail girls who need the protection of men" is a false translation.

The original Japanese line doesn't mention girls OR men. It's simply "We are not weak beings who only need to be protected."

Makes a big difference, doesn't it?
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

The line "we are not frail girls who need the protection of men" is a false translation.

Crystal's official subs are pretty questionable overall, but yeah, I noticed that when I first heard the song.

"Tada mamorareru dake no kayowai sonzai ja nai wa" or "I'm not a weak being who can only be protected

Or to put it in context of the lines surrounding it, it refers to the senshi's friendship and bonds together and how even if their separated, their bonds of friendship will keep them connected.

For some reason, there exists this portion of people in America who really like throwing tons of random feminist views onto Sailor Moon that I don't really get why. I guess even the official subs started doing that or they're just bad translators.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

The original Japanese line doesn't mention girls OR men. It's simply "We are not weak beings who only need to be protected."

Makes a big difference, doesn't it?

But there is another line in the opening that says "Even common girls have unshakable wills. We will fight for ourselves without leaving our fate in the prince's hands" (or something like that), that is basically the same in Japanese. And considering that Usagi spent half of the show being saved by Mamoru (or wishing to be saved) and that the other senshis could never achieve anything of note after their respective introduction episodes, the "We are not beings that need to be protected" still rings untrue so...

Quote:
Or to put it in context of the lines surrounding it, it refers to the senshi's friendship and bonds together and how even if their separated, their bonds of friendship will keep them connected.

Funny because the entirety of Crystal hasn't had a single true friendship moment aside from each senshi's introduction episode. Other than that it's just been Usagi pining for Mamoru and the senshis saying one line per episode each.
TheBlackGirlGamer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:32 am Reply with quote
Forgive me but I just had to point this out. The red hair guy (I forgot his name) reminds me of Hisoka from Hunter x Hunter Embarassed
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:21 am Reply with quote
Time for my game voice comparison. X3

Prince Demande is voiced by Riku from Kingdom Hearts/Flynn from Tales of Vesperia.

Saphir is voiced by Jude from Tales of Xillia (Yonaga is generally reviled in the U.S. because of how "girly" he made Jude sound).

Rubeus is voiced by the current Ryu of Street Fighter fame (imagine Rubeus doing a Shoryuken on Sailor Moon lol)/Arnaud from Wild Arms 4.

Esmeraude is voiced by Presea from Tales of Symphonia/Viola from Eternal Sonata.
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote
because Yonaga is "girly", he should fit that gentle-on-the-surface side of lil' brother Saphir. I'm glad.

Japan, stop giving Miyano adult-ish leader roles. Stop using Aoni and Ken. At least Diamond/Demande is pretty and Miyano always play those chars. Kuwashima is reliable, as is Takahashi (but she is who I call the "Shinigami VA" because her characters suffer bad fates).

It must be a coincidence that Rubeus looks like HxH's Hisoka: Takakshashi Hioki is the former voice of Hisoka. What a terrible design...
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:15 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
But there is another line in the opening that says "Even common girls have unshakable wills. We will fight for ourselves without leaving our fate in the prince's hands"

...........yeeah, kinda shot themselves in the foot with that line. Laughing

I do feel the manga becomes more feminist in the later arcs.....the first arc......eh, shoulda left the lyrics up to Naoko. She writes much better ones. "Moon Densetsu" fits the series perfectly as does the Stars theme.....because the author wrote them herself.
Southkaio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Then, who is the new voice of Wiseman?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2