• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Last Unicorn Screening Tour Heads to California

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I remember "The Last Unicorn" very well. I saw it when I was a kid. I've also seen it on home video,including DVD. It's worth checking out. You won't regret it.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Wow, something in Clovis. Maybe I'll finally see this movie. I was always curious why it always had some panel or booth at Anime Expo.
I'm also surprised they chose Clovis. Why not Fresno? This is one of the few times a film with a small screening that I'm interested in is being shown close to me.

Last edited by taster of pork on Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Asrialys

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:12 pm Reply with quote
taster of pork wrote:
Asrialys wrote:
Wow, something in Clovis. Maybe I'll finally see this movie. I was always curious why it always had some panel or booth at Anime Expo.
I'm also surprised they chose Clovis. Why not Fresno? This is one of the few times a film with a small screening is being shown close to me.

Sierra Vista Mall is barely a mile away from me, so this was a neat surprise. Although, I guess if it were to show in central California there may not have been many options. Looking over the theater listing and the tour page, some chains like Regal (are there any others around here?) won't allow these kinds of events where there are autograph sessions or items being sold.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:26 am Reply with quote
I've loved this movie since I was a kid and try to rewatch it every year. If there had been a screening anywhere near me, I would definitely have gone.
Raz_G

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:22 am Reply with quote
I attended an event in Phoenix about four years ago, where Beagle spoke of plans to remake the film (keeping the original dub, soundtrack, and possibly even storyboarding, but doing it all with modern animation technology - I got the feeling that he wasn't all that happy about the film from a technical point of view). I asked his representative there if they ever plan on doing an "Art of the Last Unicorn" book, and he said that they were trying to get something like this off the ground - but like the remake, it still didn't happen.
Still, Conland Press (Beagle's publisher) does sell prints of designs made for the film by Japanese artist Tsuguyuki Kubo:
http://www.conlanpress.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc
(scroll down to "art prints" to see them)
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:03 pm Reply with quote
geishageek wrote:
Chrno2, it already screened in NYC back in October. I was unable to attend due to a work function and am still kicking myself for not ditching work for the screening.

Dammit!!! How the hell did I miss this? Oh well. Thanks for the updated. Now I can go and kick myself now.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Disney would probably DNR Last Unicorn to death if they eventually re-release it on BD. Look at what they did with their own classic animated films, most of them are about as bad as Toei's GE 999 restoration.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Disney's weird with that. We have some that look great with minimal DNR like Fox and the Hound and Little Mermaid, and then you have Sword in the Stone and Aristocats. Some are still DNR'd but came out fine, probably because they were from an era with better equipment and supplies, like their 50s movies.
GalicianNightmare

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:37 pm Reply with quote
>American animation talked about on ANN, which supposedly stands for Anime News Network

Heh. Never change, ANN. I mean, if we can talk about Big Hero 6, we can talk about this, amirite? This is not anime. Yes, it's pretty good, but this comes from Americans. Anime=Japanese animation.

@Raz_G How can original audio be a dub? That's an oxymoron. That's like calling an anime a Japanese dub, which is quite misleading.
kamui85

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:52 pm Reply with quote
puerto rico!!!! in your face rest of the world!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2