• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hideo Kojima, del Toro, Walking Dead's Reedus Work on Next Silent Hill

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperDuperDog

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Themaster20000 wrote:
It was obvious with Homecoming that devs only experience with Silent Hill was the movie since mostly everything from that was in the game. The one positive though was the monster design which was solid and which is what Downpour really suffered from.
Can't argue with a hall full of nurses. Downpour was definitely lacking with those 3 enemy types.

But the wheelchair man was sooooooo well designed I'm almost able to look over the weaker designs.

It was like that was all the creativity they could muster.
Freakmasta

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:22 pm Reply with quote
dannphou wrote:
Anyone played the demo that came out today? Was it scary?

I saw the stream and it definitely has the freaky vibe. I just don't want the game to be in first-person since I'm not too good with those.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Del Toro's involvement has piqued my interest. Saw his 2001 Devil's Backbone movie recently and was really impressed. That and the fact that Kojimas involved means I wanna try this out.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. Kojima has always been a guy with some interesting ideas. They're just increasingly crushed under the weight of his massive ego and utter lack of restraint. I can see working with another big name like Del Toro maybe reigning him in a bit though which is exactly what he needs. And Reedus is the one good thing about Walking Dead so that can't hurt.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:41 pm Reply with quote
five bucks says this is just Del Toro's troubled game production "Insane" with Silent Hill slapped on the cover. Kojima has been really mediocre as of late so I really don't have high hopes for it.
Vent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:50 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
five bucks says this is just Del Toro's troubled game production "Insane" with Silent Hill slapped on the cover. Kojima has been really mediocre as of late so I really don't have high hopes for it.

nah, the demo has distinctly silent hill-y elements without relying on any of the really loaded (and at this point overused) imagery of the franchise.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:56 am Reply with quote
dannphou wrote:
Anyone played the demo that came out today? Was it scary?

It had jump scares, but it wasn't eerie or creepy like Silent Hill. The game has more in common with Slender and Amnesia than Silent Hill, mainly being in first person and relying on jump scares. Unless the demo is a very elaborate ruse, this seems like the total opposite of Silent Hill and I am definitely not looking forward to it. It might appeal to the modern horror game crowd, but (classic) Silent Hill fans will be disappointed. Even fans of the modern, western produced Silent Hills will probably be disappointed since it's not even like those either. It's.. literally Amnesia but with an actual budget.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:11 am Reply with quote
While I know that was just a typical post by the crowd that just loves to crap on western games(yep none of those games have atmosphere, it's all jump scares). It literally says the demo is not indicative of what the actual game is. It literally is a big rouse.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
D-Rock

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:32 am Reply with quote
After about 20 minutes of watching the stream (yeah, I actually watched the WHOLE thing!) I started getting bored. As a HUGE fan of Silent Hill, this looks to be terribly boring. By the way, anyone count how many times she zoomed in on that damn fetus thing?
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:53 am Reply with quote
I see the weeaboos are out in full force. Oh no a Western Company worked on a Japanese series, it sucks. The worst game in the franchise is Silent Hill 4, a lazy rebranding of another game as Silent Hill for a quick cash grab and that was made by Konami with Akira involved. I played Homecoming and Downpour, haven't tried shattered memories yet, but they are decent horror games. Sure its not Silent Hill 1 or 2, but then again 2 is probably one of the best horror games ever made so its kind of ridiculous to expect anything on that level.

I will wait to reserve judgement until I see the final product. Kojima has shown he can make games with the MGS and ZOE franchise, while Del Torro has shown he can do horror with gems like Devil's Backbone and Cronos, as well as mind trips with Pan's Labyrinth.
OrangeVision

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:51 am Reply with quote
The teaser has "no direct relation to the main title". At this point you can't even say if the game will be first person or that it will play anything like the teaser. Teaser was made like that so Kojima could do his usual surprise announcements. The actual game is likely to be very early in production.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:30 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I see the weeaboos are out in full force. Oh no a Western Company worked on a Japanese series, it sucks.

So the only people who would dislike those games are weeaboos? How narrow minded and insecure do you have to be to condition yourself into that kind of mentality when confronted with an opposing viewpoint? Ay caramba.

A better explanation is Japan and America have different ideologies and approaches when it comes to horror. Anyone who's watched even a few horror movies could tell this. Especially horror games. I'd like to remind you they made a Silent Hill Diablo clone. That's about as far removed from Silent Hill as you can get.

The problem is the studios who made Homecoming, Downpour, Book of Memories, and all those non-canon titles are they have no idea what Silent Hill is. They don't even make good games to begin with. WayForward was mostly a movie-tie in shovelware studio, and Vatra Games was a no-name Czech studio. They treated Pyramid Head and the Nurse monsters as mascots to the series without realizing that they are James' inner demons and representations of his sexual frustration. That's why the nurses in Silent Hill 1 and 3 are not sexualized, they're Alessa's inner demons of her hatred of hospitals. However, ever since the movie, they treat Pyramid Head as some kind of mascot for the series because he's 'badass', and the nurses are now always sexualized because 'it's hot'

Tomm Hulett, the man behind those games, has no idea what he's doing despite being the self-proclaimed biggest Silent Hill fan ever. "No hyperbole". With him out of the picture the games have a chance at being decent, but everything about this teaser and line up doesn't inspire much confidence. What does it say when the king of horror games resorts to aping the Amnesia and Walking Dead crowd, two of the most casual, mainstream representations of horror right now that don't even hold a candle to the first four Silent Hills?

Apparently the only reason Kojima became interested in the project is when he saw the Silent Hill movies last year. Given Kojima's reputation as a huge Hollywood nut, not being above kicking out Hayter so he could work with his Hollywood idol Sutherland, and Del Toro's dubious credentials, people have plenty of reason to be suspicious. Don't be surprised if this is just more movieverse pandering. Hulett may be gone, but we're not out of the woods yet.
IchigoKurosakiHollowfi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:52 am Reply with quote
Norman Reedus, i'm in. Smile
PipingHotTea

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:59 am Reply with quote
As much as I like Kojima and Del Toro, I'm getting mixed feelings about this game and the recent Silent Hills were terrible. That and I'm not sure they have what it takes to cross this unknown territory but hopefully they can prove themselves. Also to the user that said that people complaining about this are weaboos, that's not a valid answer and comparing Silent Hill 4 and the recent silent hill games, Silent Hill 4 is actually descent and kept the eerie atmosphere that SH is known for. The recent ones do not cut it and they shouldn't be considered as a silent hill game.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Whats funny about all of this is that by the developers own admission, Silent Hill is actually a very western influenced horror series. The entire series takes from a more western view of horror then it does a Japanese one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3