• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Resident Evil 6 Film Planned as the Last One

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:18 pm Reply with quote
man,I hope these movies just died already.I'm a hardcore RE fan since the very first game since the very first year in 1996 and I never cared about the changes in recent games,and despite all people's whining that they can't carry only 6 items in an inventory or that they can't make annoying backtrack to chests anymore,I still enjoyed RE5 and RE6 a lot.But these movies?I can't stand watching them...
The CGI movies were SOOO much better and yet didn't even earned a theatrical release outside,but all these five piles of trash,with a 6th coming up, can get on theaters...
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm of two minds about this. I understand the concept of turn off you're brain entertaintment, but I don't think that is an excuse for crap. There's a way to make smart and well done "just fun things". There's nothing super complex about say Cowboy Bebop, but there's craft in the style, the directing, and the writing. Even something like Ninja Scroll is hardly challenging, but it's well directed and paced that it's pretty enduring. Yet, I do understand that somethings are so stupid that they can be enjoyable.

The Resident Evil movies hover between being so bad that it's fun and this is insultingly bad. One is about as campy and dumb as the source material. The RE games have awful stories with awful characters that are simply cool because. There was nothing great about the first RE movie, it wasn't even a lively action movie. Still, it was pretty harmless. The 2nd one was even dumber, but still a perfectly harmless action movie.

It's the 3rd movie that just goes so far in WTF territory that it becomes insultingly awful.

The 4th is just kind of boring and rather uninteresting movie. It's just another RE movie that losses it's craziness after the first 15 mins.

5 was probably the most stupid fun since it seemed like they were just throwing whatever the heck they had at the screen.

These are still better then the CG movies which are awful beyond belief.

In general the RE movies are kind of just there. They have monuments of pure craziness, but I don't believe they ever are able to run with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
eyeresist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:59 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
These films do very well in Japan too.

Yeah, I was thinking of ordering the Japanese dub version (along with The Matrix and Scott Pilgrim) Wink

GATSU wrote:
Poor Paul Andersuck. He'll be forever known as "that Resident Evil and that one good Mortal Kombat movie" guy. And I guess Milla will be known as "that Resident Evil and Fifth Element" gal.

Weirdly, Anderson's two most highly fan-rated movies are his worst: Mortal Kombat (his 2nd film) looks like a terrible 80s movie even though it was made in the 90s. Coming after the super-stylish Event Horizon, Kurt Russell-starring Soldier is dull and just looks unimpressive, partly due to the cinematographer, and a storm destroying all their outdoor sets.
Yes, in case it's not obvious, I have recently done a Paul WS Anderson retrospective, which raised my opinion of him. Here is an overview:
The first RE is very LOUD, and disappointed people (like me) wanting a Romero-style creepfest (this was at the very beginning of the zombie comeback). But it remains entertaining, and looks great (all his films from RE onward look amazing, regardless of other problems).
Anderson was only a producer on the next two RE films, and they're ... not great. Kudos for giving cult director Russell Mulcahy a gig, shame the result is the worst of the series.
Back to directing on RE: Afterlife, Anderson's increase in experience was obvious. The central section in the beseiged prison was nicely atmospheric. Followup Retribution didn't have much plot to speak of, but some great, varied action sequences. (BTW, in audio commentaries, Anderson refers to the films by number - I think it was not his decision to omit numbers from the titles).
Alien vs Predator (his next after the first RE) was another that contradicted audience expectations: it's not actually bad, but crucially never develops the gravitas that makes the first two or three Alien films so great. However, it is much more enjoyable than Alien Resurrection.
The remake of Death Race is a very enjoyable Jason Statham "vehicle" Wink , apart from the slow opening section, and Joan Allen surprisingly unimpressive as the villain. (The DTV sequel was surprisingly good too.)
Lastly, his take on The Three Musketeers was a lot of fun. Some purists rejected his steampunk angle, but if they don't like that they can always watch one of the hundred other filmed versions of this story. This film features great locations, and a lot of delicious performances, standouts being Christoph Waltz as Cardinal Richelieu, Matthew Macfadyen as Athos, Orlando Bloom as moustache-twirling villain Buckingham, Ray Stevenson as Porthos, and Freddie Fox as Louis the 13th. I think this is Anderson's best film so far.

GATSU wrote:
Mr. Adventure: It'd be nice if they finally let George Romero do his take on RE.
Has he made a good film since Day of the Dead?
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:09 am Reply with quote
eyeresist: The reason people liked Mortal Kombat is because of how terrible the live-action Street Fighter was. Though obviously, Annihilation canceled that out.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:50 am Reply with quote
The live action RE's are entertaining, but I'm glad they are finally finishing them. Can't stand it when film series start dragging on with a lot of sequels. I liked the cgi ones better, maybe because they felt more like the RE games than the live ones. For some reason I imagine if Devil May Cry was kept as part of the RE series, it may have looked a bit like the live action films.

As an aside, I thought Paul's remake of Death Race was pretty badass. Gets me pumped up for playing some Twisted Metal or Mario Kart. Wink
eyeresist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:36 am Reply with quote
I think the most comparable film series is Underworld (unless someone can think of another). After a slump, RE picked up again into a fun action series thanks to Anderson's continued interest. Over the same time he also made a couple of other watchable films. I like the first Underworld, and the 3rd (with a different director), but can't see the series being the landmark RE is, for better or worse. In the meantime, the only other film Underworld's director has made is that dull remake of Total Recall. Oh crap, he also did Live Free or Die Hard.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2